mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Starting patterns by stroking a key … ?"

Posted on: September 08, 2018 @ 06:46 AM
GrandMS
Total Posts:  41
Joined  07-27-2004

Hello,

On the MOXF you can start a Pattern by pressing a key. This can be set at the Pattern/Play page.

Unfortunately, this setting affects all patterns in the current pattern bank.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set this for individual patterns only, and if so, how?

Many thanks in advance and a have nice weekend

Rainer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2018 @ 08:29 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Keyboard Start setting indeed acts globally. It can’t be set individually for different Patterns, and can’t even be stored - Keyboard Start will revert to the default setting of “off” if the MOXF is powered down and back on.

Could you explain in some detail what you’re needing to do? Perhaps there’s a different approach that would satisfy your needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2018 @ 10:42 AM
GrandMS
Joined  07-27-2004

That’ s sad. I really just want to start one pattern with a keystroke and the others manually. Of course I can switch off the key start function afterwards, sometimes you only forget that and mostly when it is important. 😩

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2018 @ 10:46 AM
GrandMS
Joined  07-27-2004

I tried other approaches. But the pattern is too long for an user arp, and for songs there is no keyboard start function.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2018 @ 03:55 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Sorry, but you haven’t provided sufficient detail for me to attempt to help. If you’d like to pursue this…

Why do you need to start a particular Pattern by pressing a key, as opposed to pressing the sequencer Play button?

Why is having Keyboard Start “on” for other Patterns not desirable? Are you using Pattern Parts for live play?

Are you using any MIDI gear external to the MOXF?

Detailed application information might (or might not) lead to suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2018 @ 05:18 AM
GrandMS
Joined  07-27-2004

Oh, I apologize :). I believed the problem was clear.

No, I’m not using external MIDI gear.

Yes, I’m using Patterns for live play.

I want to start this specific pattern synchronized, while I’m playing piano with both hands, so I have no hand free for pressing the SEQ PLAY button.

I want to start other patterns manually, and not, if I’m pressing any key.

Thank you for your efforts

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2018 @ 10:26 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
GrandMS - 09 September 2018 05:18 AM

Oh, I apologize :). I believed the problem was clear.

I understood from your initial post what you wanted. I was hoping that sufficient usage detail might lead to a solution.

GrandMS -

No, I’m not using external MIDI gear.

Yes, I’m using Patterns for live play.

I want to start this specific pattern synchronized, while I’m playing piano with both hands, so I have no hand free for pressing the SEQ PLAY button.

I want to start other patterns manually, and not, if I’m pressing any key.

What still isn’t clear (to me) is why pressing keys can’t be avoided for the Patterns where starting sequencer play that way isn’t desirable.  :-)

However, here’s an approach that doesn’t depend on the MOXF’s setup…
Leave Keyboard Start “off”, so that pressing keys won’t start the sequence for any of the Patterns. Then use a MIDI pedal to send a MIDI Start (FA hex) message for the Pattern requiring synchronization, which would be hands-free. It’s not as foolproof as using Keyboard Start, but it will work well as long as your timing is good.

GrandMS -

Thank you for your efforts

No problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2018 @ 04:31 AM
GrandMS
Joined  07-27-2004
5pinDIN - 09 September 2018 10:26 AM

Leave Keyboard Start “off”, so that pressing keys won’t start the sequence for any of the Patterns. Then use a MIDI pedal to send a MIDI Start (FA hex) message for the Pattern requiring synchronization, which would be hands-free. It’s not as foolproof as using Keyboard Start, but it will work well as long as your timing is good.

That’s a good idea. I‘ll try it. Thank you 😊

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2018 @ 06:09 AM
GrandMS
Joined  07-27-2004

Great. It’s even easier. You don’t need a MIDI pedal that can send a FA (hex) command.
Connect a simple foot switch to the assignable foot switch input, and set the FS controller value under [Utility/Control Assign] to 97 (Play/Stop). Now the pattern can be started and stopped with the foot switch.

It works great for me.

Thanks again, 5pinDIN :)

[ Ignore ]