mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to accomplish a Firmware update for the Motif-Rack ES?"

Posted on: June 21, 2018 @ 09:54 AM
ctyelvis
Total Posts:  11
Joined  06-20-2018

Hi friends!

My ES Rack firmware is currently vers. 1.00
I have a Mac Pro (garbage can style, late 2013) with the latest vers. 10.13.5 OS installed.
I downloaded the last firmware 1.03 for the ES Rack.
I downloaded and installed the last USB driver and installed it.
I restarted all equipment.

My ES USB connection is plugged directly into my Mac’s USB port, not a hub.
The Motif ES USB ports 1-8 are recognized by Logic X Pro (newest version even Automap). No other USB devices are plugged into my computer for this procedure.

When I try and set up a midi port, I selected port 1.
I tried playing the update file through Logic, but nothing happens on the Motif. Any ideas?

As of June, 2018 what is the best way to install the last firmware Yamaha released from a current Mac to my Motif ES Rack?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2018 @ 12:26 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
ctyelvis - 21 June 2018 09:54 AM

Hi friends!

My ES Rack firmware is currently vers. 1.00
I have a Mac Pro (garbage can style, late 2013) with the latest vers. 10.13.5 OS installed.
I downloaded the last firmware 1.03 for the ES Rack.
I downloaded and installed the last USB driver and installed it.
I restarted all equipment.

My ES USB connection is plugged directly into my Mac’s USB port, not a hub.
The Motif ES USB ports 1-8 are recognized by Logic X Pro (newest version even Automap). No other USB devices are plugged into my computer for this procedure.

When I try and set up a midi port, I selected port 1.
I tried playing the update file through Logic, but nothing happens on the Motif. Any ideas?

As of June, 2018 what is the best way to install the last firmware Yamaha released from a current Mac to my Motif ES Rack?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

The Rack ES has a maximum of three USB Ports - Port 1 in Voice mode, Ports 1~3 in Multi mode. Port 1 is the tone generator, Ports 2 and 3 are for the optional Plug-in Boards. If your DAW is seeing eight Rack ES USB ports, something is wrong.

Specifically which USB driver version did you install?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2018 @ 03:14 PM
ctyelvis
Joined  06-20-2018

I used the latest USB driver V1.3.2-2

Any help on the firmware update question though?
:-)

Thank you,
-Chris

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2018 @ 03:51 PM
ctyelvis
Joined  06-20-2018

I have the DX and Analog synth boards installed.

Of Note:

An unexpanded, out-of-the-box Motif Rack ES is a 16-part multitimbral unit, as was the original Rack. However, the USB driver supplied with the ES has a new trick up its sleeve: multiple output ports. Eight virtual ports are made available from within your host sequencing program — so what are they for? If your ES is fitted with PLG expansion boards, the main unit and each of the PLG boards can be addressed on its own virtual port, and therefore its own unique MIDI channels. In the case of the multitimbral PLG100XG board, this means a completely independent set of 16 extra MIDI channels.

So, with the PLG100XG installed, together with one other PLG board, the ES is capable of playing on up to 33 MIDI channels at once, clearly demonstrating the advantage of using the USB connection. However, it should be borne in mind that if you intend to do SysEx dumps from the ES into, for example, Sonar ‘s integral SysEx librarian or a non-USB hardware sequencer or data filer, these still have to be performed over a standard MIDI connection.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2018 @ 05:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ctyelvis - 23 June 2018 03:51 PM

I have the DX and Analog synth boards installed.

Of Note:

An unexpanded, out-of-the-box Motif Rack ES is a 16-part multitimbral unit, as was the original Rack. However, the USB driver supplied with the ES has a new trick up its sleeve: multiple output ports. Eight virtual ports are made available from within your host sequencing program — so what are they for? If your ES is fitted with PLG expansion boards, the main unit and each of the PLG boards can be addressed on its own virtual port, and therefore its own unique MIDI channels. In the case of the multitimbral PLG100XG board, this means a completely independent set of 16 extra MIDI channels.

So, with the PLG100XG installed, together with one other PLG board, the ES is capable of playing on up to 33 MIDI channels at once, clearly demonstrating the advantage of using the USB connection. However, it should be borne in mind that if you intend to do SysEx dumps from the ES into, for example, Sonar ‘s integral SysEx librarian or a non-USB hardware sequencer or data filer, these still have to be performed over a standard MIDI connection.

If you’re going to quote a Sound-On-Sound article, you should attribute it to them.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-motif-rack-es

As far as I know, the virtual ports aren’t applicable to updating the OS.

From the “Readme” file that accompanies OS v1.03 (my notes in red)…
----------------------
1) Before executing this version up program, close all the Windows programs.  If the computer becomes at the standby mode, it may stop outputting the data.  Set it not to move to the standby mode.

2) Connect the computer and the MOTIF-RACK ES by a USB cable.  DO NOT use any USB hubs.  Change the MIDI IN /OUT of the MOTIF-RACK ES to the USB mode, and select the OUT port of the sequence software to the USB port of the MOTIF-RACK ES.  (Port 1 is typically seen as Yamaha MOTIF-RACK ES-1)

3) Turn on the MOTIF-RACK ES power with pressing [EXIT] + [PAGE>] + [MUTE/SEL/ENTER] (Press and hold simultaneously)

4) Play back the downloaded “firm102.MID” file by the sequence software at TEMPO 120.  Your Motif-Rack ES LCD should now appear as follows. (Should, of course, be “firm103.MID”)

###MOTIF-RACK Update###
[ UPDATER FROM MIDI]
Current Packet: **********h

The firmware update should take about 20 minutes to complete. 

5) After the data playback is completed, it begins to read in the received data.
Don’t turn off the MOTIF-RACK ES power at any stage during this update.
It takes about 1 minute to update. 

6) After checking the “Completed Reboot” message has appeared on the Motif-Rack ES LCD, turn off the power after a few seconds turn the power back on again. 

Your OS should now be updated. This concludes the update process.
------------------------

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2018 @ 08:25 PM
ctyelvis
Joined  06-20-2018

First let me say, thank you so much for your time and help! :-)

I was trying to use Logic X and then Pro Tools as the midi player and just could not get either to work for this. Very frustrating. I’m sure that was my problem all along, trying to get them to transmit the firmware file. I’m sure it can be done (at least in Logic), but I coudn’t get it to go.  :-(

I ended up downloading a free midi player called “Sweet Midi Player” online. Simply selected motif port 1 and the update is loading to my unit as I’m typing!!!  :-)

So again, Thank You for your help!!! :-)

-Chris

PS
I didn’t intend to be plageristic with the Sound On Sound quote. I was actually confused about all the ports I was seeing. LoL
I didn’t know about the virtual port thing, until you mentioned it. You mentioned 3 ports and I was seeing a lot more, while I was trying to get this sorted out. So again, Thank you.

PS
Firmware 1.03 install was successful!!
:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2018 @ 07:56 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - I’m glad you were able to complete the OS update to v1.03.

Thanks for letting us know that you had success by using “Sweet Midi Player”. That information might help other Motifator members.

[ Ignore ]