mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Assignable Function <<<>>>> Foot Switch"

Posted on: May 29, 2018 @ 04:15 AM
Leijdekkers
Total Posts:  5
Joined  06-15-2015

Good morning,

On my Motif XF7, in Song mode, I have set the AF1 button to nr. 65: “Portamanto Switch” in the Utility mode, so i can switch the portamento to ON at a particular moment in a song.

The thing is that this only works when the Foot Switch is also set on nr. 65. When i set the Foot Switch to nr. 98 “Program Change inc.” (That is what I want), then de AF1 button does not do anything with the portamento. 

Am i doing something wrong?
Is there a workaround so that i can use a pedal to perform a program change?

Many thanks!

Cornel
From the Netherlands

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2018 @ 10:42 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Leijdekkers - 29 May 2018 04:15 AM

Good morning,

On my Motif XF7, in Song mode, I have set the AF1 button to nr. 65: “Portamanto Switch” in the Utility mode, so i can switch the portamento to ON at a particular moment in a song.

The thing is that this only works when the Foot Switch is also set on nr. 65. When i set the Foot Switch to nr. 98 “Program Change inc.” (That is what I want), then de AF1 button does not do anything with the portamento. 

Am i doing something wrong?

The behavior you’re experiencing is normal. Although discussing the XS, the explanation in this thread also applies to the XF:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/446861/

Leijdekkers -

Is there a workaround so that i can use a pedal to perform a program change?

1) Are you using the Song Mixing for live play?
2) If #1 is “yes"…
   a) How many of the 16 Parts are you using in the Mix?
   b) Do you want to apply Portamento to just a single Part, or to layered Parts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2018 @ 03:09 AM
Leijdekkers
Joined  06-15-2015

Thank you for the quick response.
I guess I have to live with the fact that i can’t use my footswitch for something else.

Yes, I am using Song mode in Live play. In Master mode.
My Motif XF is connected with a Roland A-88.

The song where i want to use the portamento switch AND the program change inc. uses 6 parts, and the portamento part is a single part.

I use it in Master Mode, so my wish to use a pedal for program change is for the Master mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2018 @ 08:19 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Leijdekkers - 30 May 2018 03:09 AM

Thank you for the quick response.

You’re welcome.

Leijdekkers -

I guess I have to live with the fact that i can’t use my footswitch for something else.

You can assign the Foot Switch to CC#98 (Program Change Inc).

Leijdekkers -

Yes, I am using Song mode in Live play. In Master mode.
My Motif XF is connected with a Roland A-88.

The song where i want to use the portamento switch AND the program change inc. uses 6 parts, and the portamento part is a single part.

I use it in Master Mode, so my wish to use a pedal for program change is for the Master mode.

In place of using an AF switch to turn Portamento on/off…

In the Song Mixing, use the Copy Part Job - copy the Part on which you want to control Portamento to an unused Part. In the copied Part, set Portamento Part Sw “on”. (The original Part should have that setting “off”.) STORE the edit.

When you want to control Portamento, select either the original Part (Portamento off) or the copied Part (Portamento on).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2018 @ 08:30 AM
Leijdekkers
Joined  06-15-2015

That is a very good idea! I wil try that. It is for only a few seconds that i want to have portamenot ON. Just one chord in a song must have that portamento effect.

Thank you very much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2018 @ 12:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Leijdekkers - 30 May 2018 08:30 AM

That is a very good idea! I wil try that. It is for only a few seconds that i want to have portamenot ON. Just one chord in a song must have that portamento effect.

That approach will work the same as any other change of Voices via a Mixing - the transition from one to the other will be seamless.

By the way, although more complex to program, it is possible to use an AF button to accomplish the Portamento switching. It requires storing two versions of the Voice with different XA Control settings. If anyone expresses interest, I’ll explain further.

Leijdekkers -

Thank you very much!

You’re very welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2018 @ 12:54 AM
maxweb
Total Posts:  77
Joined  01-06-2004
5pinDIN - 31 May 2018 12:27 PM

By the way, although more complex to program, it is possible to use an AF button to accomplish the Portamento switching. It requires storing two versions of the Voice with different XA Control settings. If anyone expresses interest, I’ll explain further.

Here I am :-)

Maxweb

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2018 @ 09:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
maxweb - 02 June 2018 12:54 AM
5pinDIN - 31 May 2018 12:27 PM

Here I am :-)

Maxweb

OK  :-)

To use an AF button, begin with the steps I explained previously. I’ll repeat them here:
In the Song Mixing, use the Copy Part Job - copy the Part on which you want to control Portamento to an unused Part. In the copied Part, set Portamento Part Sw “on”. (The original Part should have that setting “off”.)

Next…
1) Press [MIXING]
2) Select the Part that has Portamento “off”
3) Press [F6](Vce Edit)
4) Edit all active Elements so that XA Control = “all AF off”
5) Press [STORE] > [ENTER] > [YES] (creates a Mixing Voice)
-----
6) Select the Part that has Portamento “on”
7) Press [F6](Vce Edit)
8) Edit all active Elements so that XA Control = “AF1 on”
9) Press [STORE] > [ENTER] > [YES] (creates a Mixing Voice)
10) Press [EDIT]
11) Set the Receive Channel to that of the Part that has Portamento “off” (both Parts will be selected by a single numbered button)
12) Press [STORE] > [ENTER] > [YES]

=====

I’ve attached an XF “All Song” file ("Portamento Switching"), zipped. Song 01 “Porta Switching Demo” includes both methods of choosing Portamento on/off. The rest of the Songs are initialized.

I began with an initialized Song and copied PRE6:053(D05) to Parts 2,3,4, and 8(see below). All of those Parts of the Mixing were edited to set Mono/Poly to “mono”. In addition…
Parts 3 and 8 have Portamento Part Sw “on”.
Voices for Parts 4 and 8 have XA Control edits as detailed above.
Part 8 Receive Channel was set to “4”.
Voice names were edited to help with selection.

Song 01 can be loaded singly to any desired Song location. If the file is loaded in entirety it will overwrite all Song locations, so I suggest not doing that. Back up your Songs first if you have any concerns.

Once the Song is loaded…
Track [2] is without Portamento
Track [3] is with Portamento
Track [4] switches Portamento using the AF1 button

For those wondering why I choose Part 8 in my demo…
This was just to show that it doesn’t matter which Part is used for “Portamento ON” with the XA Control approach, as long as the Receive Channel is set to the same number as the “Portamento OFF” Part. The point is that if several Parts have already been programmed in a Mixing, there’s no need to reshuffle things just to add the “Portamento ON” Part.

File Attachments
Portamento Switching.n3.X3S.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 169)
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF A/D Line-Mic Level L/R Inputs
Next Topic:

XF8 case needed: anything specific? ››