mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS 6 will not boot"

Posted on: April 29, 2018 @ 04:19 PM
BeeRad
Total Posts:  123
Joined  10-17-2006

Well, after owning 2 XS6’s, 2 S90ES’s, and a Motif XF8...and playing out a TON over the last 10 years, I have finally had one let me down at a gig.  Fortunately it was on a gig that didn’t use the Motif much!

The colorful boot screen comes up with Motif logo/Yamaha and the little “satellite in orbit” swirls around at the bottom of the screen forever, and ever, and.......well you know.  From posts here I tried to entered the test mode but never get past the “test mode” Yamaha/colorful Motif logo screen, with the little “satellite in orbit” swirling around at the bottom of the screen forever, and ever, and......well, you know.

The above happens with nothing attached and optional dimms removed.

Disclaimer, I know I have left this particular unit in a hard case, outside in my band trailer for 5 years, and have played outdoor gigs in extreme heat, and damp cold, and I live on the Chesapeake Bay.  I am guessing corrosion, but before I take her apart, I would like some direction.  I am going to try again to find 5 pins posts about where to get the repair manuals online etc.  I am NOT an electrician by any means, but am comfortable taking keyboards apart to clean and/or look for obvious problems.

Any input would be appreciated.  I do have a spare XS6 specifically for the sequences I do with another band.  But want to repair this one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2018 @ 05:39 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

If your XS has an mLAN16E2 or FW16E installed, remove it and try to boot the XS again. Stop there if that helps, and let us know.

You can download the XS Service Manual here:
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_xs6_xs7_xs8.pdf/download.html

If you decide to go inside, be very careful not to hinge the top panel open by more than 90 degrees. Beyond that point can lead to disconnected/damaged cables, or worse.

Otherwise…
Carefully “exercising” the cable connections between the main DM board and other boards might help if there’s a problem due to corrosion.

[ Ignore ]