mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Steinberg driver not installing"

Posted on: April 25, 2018 @ 12:04 AM
tradivoro
Total Posts:  45
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi there.  I’ve had experience in installing drivers before and this is the first that a driver is giving me problems.  I followed the directions for installation and each time the driver installs, I get the same message “does not have a valid digital signature.” Im using windows 7 pro 64 bit, and using the latest steinberg driver. 

I’ve installed and uninstalled to no avail.  I’m attaching the messages I get.  The top one is when I plug in the moxf.  The bottom one is what I get about the driver.

How do I get around this?  Any info appreciated, thanks.

Image Attachments
error messages installing steinberg usb driver.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2018 @ 09:58 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You can tell Windows to “ignore” the requirement for a digitally signed driver. Do this only if you got the driver from a trusted source - that is, a Yamaha site.

See:
http://windows7themes.net/en-us/windows-requires-a-digitally-signed-driver/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-to-i-turn-off-digital-signature/a7047647-bf29-468f-a885-8e23d60f3daa

For safety, I suggest that you re-enable the requirement once the YSUSB driver has been installed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2018 @ 09:24 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Thanks 5pin.  I was just baffled that this would give such a problem.  I have the yourock guitar that I use as a midi controller from time to time and all you have to is connect the usb and immediately, Sonar sees the controller by its name.  Also, there is a program designed to edit the parameters of the YRG and it installed flawlessly and works like a dream.

So, this being Yamaha, I figured this would be a piece of cake.. :)

In any event, I will definitely tried what is described in that link and see if it does the trick.  Thanks again.

I also got the driver from the Yamaha site.  I see all these other places offering the driver and you know they’re up to no good.. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2018 @ 10:04 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Well, I couldn’t get the methods to work, when I followed the instructions, my Windows 7 did not match the regedit that he was describing in his example.  In any event, I found a much simpler way.  Although in the end it did tell me again that this was an unsigned driver, this time it did install the moxf.  Now I don’t know if this is going to be forever, we’ll see when I turn on both machines tomorrow. 

Below is the video that makes this signed driver shutoff easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RwaI4mn6Y

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2018 @ 10:13 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The issue may or may not be caused by Steinberg. See https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=119204&sid=c68a45042306618999e84ee7e18e80ba&start=25

In some cases a Windows 7 installation that doesn’t have the latest updates can incorrectly indicate lack of digital signature.

Hopefully you’ll be able to get around the problem.

Edit: You posted while I was replying. I can’t view YouTube videos, so I don’t know what method it showed. The second method in the first link (which is also the one in the second link), using gpedit.msc (not regedit), is probably a good choice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2018 @ 10:36 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Well, it worked, I managed to record audio into Sonar.  I still have to figure out other parameters, but for the time being sound is coming out of the usb port and it recorded into sonar and using a performance, as suggested in this tutorial

https://www.yamahasynth.com/blog/moxf6-moxf8-basic-audio-recording

I was able to get a cute track onto track in no time at all.  :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2018 @ 11:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
tradivoro - 25 April 2018 10:36 PM

[...] I was able to get a cute track onto track in no time at all.  :)

Great - I’m glad you got things working.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2018 @ 10:57 AM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

I’ll have to look into this Windows 7/ Steinberg thing because, yesterday, while installing the driver, I got a blue screen of death and when rebooting, it took a while for Windows to find all the drives.  After I pulled out the moxf8 from the machine, then it booted up. 

So, inasmuch as it worked ok for a little while, I have to keep the moxf unplugged.

So, whether it’s the lastest updates on Windows 7 or Steinberg, I’m a bit leery of using this driver.  It’s shame that the moxf has to rely on a driver for midi purposes.  I have a $50 25 key midi controller, that works great, no driver.  So, I don’t know if Yamaha is guilding the lily by using the steinberg driver.  Even for the editor, there are third party editors for keyboards out there that don’t have these problems. 

I’m going to have to look and see if there are tutorials on recording the moxf from Sonar, via midi, not usb, and using the mofx as a multitimbral unit, the old fashioned way and recording the audio, the old fashioned way.  I feel my computer would be safer that way.  In any event, thanks for your help, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2018 @ 12:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Lots of owners are using the YSUSB driver without problem. I suspect something else is causing what you’re experiencing.

Which version of the OS (firmware) is installed in your MOXF?
To check…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Read the displayed firmware (Firm:).

The most recent OS version is 1.12 - if yours isn’t that, you might want to update it and determine if that resolves the issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2018 @ 01:33 AM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Just posting this in case it helps others.  After, uninstalling and re-intalling, cleaning out the registry of yamaha usb driver entries, I finally found a workaround that will work for me. I know that 5pin mentioned this, but it was working intermittently.  The best way to do thisis telling windows to ignore unsigned drivers at startup.  It’s not ideal, and there were a couple of times when I uninstalled the driver cause it wasn’t working.  But that’s the only way I’ve gotten it to work.

So, for those of you having problems, when windows is booting up, press F8 and when the window comes up with multiple choices, select “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement”.  Once you do that, the driver will actually work.  I’m on Windows 7.

anyway, thanks for the head’s up 5pin and hopefully this post will help others.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI Port 3 Sysex
Next Topic:

KARMA Motif Software - Tell your thoughts ››