mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI Port 3 Sysex"

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 11:42 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  19
Joined  07-27-2017

Hi All

When I have my MOXF connected to my laptop and want to send MIDI data from the MOXF output port to a sound module using the MOXF Port 3 from the laptop, I find that it is absolutely fine with MIDI note data, control messages, program changes, etc, but Sysex doesn’t appear to be output. Is that correct, or should it be working?

I plugged the sound module into a different MIDI interface and sent the Sysex from that, and it worked absolutely fine, with the sound module showing “Bulk received”, and the changes intended by the Sysex properly made. However, when using the MOXF “Port 3” the exact same Sysex doesn’t work: the sound module doesn’t display the “Bulk received” message, and no changes have been made.

I know that the MIDI Port 3 works fine for note on/off data as I said about, and I know that the Sysex I am sending is correct by using the other MIDI interface. I’ve also ruled out MIDI cable issues by swapping multiple cables round.

Does anyone have any ideas?

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2018 @ 04:26 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  9985
Joined  09-16-2010
Davelet - 22 April 2018 11:42 PM

Hi All

When I have my MOXF connected to my laptop and want to send MIDI data from the MOXF output port to a sound module using the MOXF Port 3 from the laptop, I find that it is absolutely fine with MIDI note data, control messages, program changes, etc, but Sysex doesn’t appear to be output. Is that correct, or should it be working? [...]

On my XF, when MIDI In/Out is set to “USB”, I can send SysEx to Port 3 from my PC and it arrives at the XF’s 5-pin MIDI OUT without problem. I’m unaware of that not being possible with the MOXF.

In what mode are you using the MOXF when the problem occurs?

Which version of the OS is installed on your MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2018 @ 01:21 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  19
Joined  07-27-2017

Hi 5PinDIN

I’m using “USB” for the MIDI mode, like you with your XF.

The firmware is the latest at v1.12.

I tried again this evening: it seems that the start of the SYSEX is getting through - the starts of the bulk dump is making some changes to the receiving device, but then not the remainder. Which is odd, as I thought SYSEX had a checksum at the end (might be wrong about that though - am relying on memory).

Shy of getting an oscilloscope onto the end of the cable I’m uncertain how best to diagnose it. Perhaps feed the sysex from the MOXF Port 3 back into my other MIDI interface and see what is received with MIDIOX?

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2018 @ 03:40 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  9985
Joined  09-16-2010
Davelet - 23 April 2018 01:21 PM

[...] I tried again this evening: it seems that the start of the SYSEX is getting through - the starts of the bulk dump is making some changes to the receiving device, but then not the remainder. Which is odd, as I thought SYSEX had a checksum at the end (might be wrong about that though - am relying on memory).

Not all SysEx has a checksum. For example, most Motif family SysEx doesn’t, although bulk dumps do. However, a MOXF Normal Voice dump is not a single SysEx message, but a concatenation of 24 of them with a bulk header and footer. If the bulk data you’re sending is similar, it’s possible for some of the messages to get through, but not the remainder.

I wonder if the problem could be a matter of MIDI data interval/pacing.

Davelet -

Shy of getting an oscilloscope onto the end of the cable I’m uncertain how best to diagnose it. Perhaps feed the sysex from the MOXF Port 3 back into my other MIDI interface and see what is received with MIDIOX?

Indeed, if you can examine the SysEx available at the MOXF’s MIDI-Out port, that could be helpful.

[ Ignore ]