mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF8 ethernet connection to PC"

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 06:23 PM
laryan
Total Posts:  12
Joined  08-03-2014

Hi. I’ve read the various threads posted discussing ethernet connection to a network.  I have 2 computers (Win7 and Win8) and 1 Canon printer connected to a Homegroup and there are no connection issues.  The router is a netgear nighthawk.

I have a wired connection to the Motif.  I set up the connection with the computer name of the Win7 Pc, and I set the File Server Name and Password on the Motif.

So far so good.  My computers see the Motif and the Motif sees the devices connected to the network.

But when I open the Motif network connection in the Win7 PC to connect to the Motif, I am asked for a user name and password.  I type in the File Server Name and the password for the Motif but I get a host connection error message.  I am not asked for a user name/password for any other network devices.  I set the advanced file sharing option to not ask for a password.  But the motif will not connect without it.

The same problem going the other way.  I select the Win7 in the file mount tab, and enter the computer user name and I leave the password blank because I do not have a sign on password to the PC.  I get a similar host error message.

What is strange is that the Motif sees the canon printer and the shared filed for that device as a sharing point, but it doesn’t see anything for the either of the PCs or the shared file in Win7.

I’ve spent hours trying different solutions, but I’m stuck. I might try using a crossover cable next.

Does anyone have an idea of what the connection issue might be?

Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 09:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Perhaps I can help. First, I’ll describe my own setup:
Computer…
Win XP SP3 machine.
The XF is the only Ethernet device, wired - there’s no router.

Motif XF…
DHCP Client is “off” - I’m using a static IP address.
File Server is “on”.
Password is blank.

I was sometimes unable to access the XF from the PC, apparently due to problems resolving Host Names by XP. To eliminate that issue, I added a line to both the “hosts” and “lmhosts.sam” files in the Windows/system32/drivers/etc folder.
In my case, that line is…
169.254.30.65 Motif-xf-6e300

I have no trouble accessing shared folders on the PC from the XF. Similarly, no problem accessing XF “media” (USB drives plugged into a multi-port USB hub connected to the TO DEVICE port) or the user interface “theme”.

Enough about me.  ;-)

-------------

Which OS version is installed on your XF? Early ones had some issues with Ethernet.

Win 7 has some known problems resolving Host names.
Have you tried to ping the XF from the PC?
From a command prompt…
ping Host Name
If pinging the Host Name is unsuccessful, you might try turning off DHCP and using a static IP address, then
ping IP Address

See my comment above concerning “hosts” files.

Let us know how things go.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2018 @ 08:01 PM
laryan
Joined  08-03-2014

5pinDIN, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Tried pinging as you suggested and all is good.  I got the new crossover cable today and now I see the Motif XF as a network device in Windows 7.  I am able to access the usb stick on the Motif which is the main functionality I am looking for.  I haven’t tried moving files from one device to the other yet, but I don’t anticipate a problem. I’m half way there.

However,I can’t mount the PC in the Motif.  I turned the DHCP client off. I did an ipconfig search to get the local network IP address, gateway and DNA addresses.  I entered that info manually.  The Mount User Name is I entered in Utility is the identical PC name as it appears in my system info.  But I’m getting the can’t access host message.

The PC is connected with a wireless adapter to the network. I’m wondering if that is causing a layer of complication.

For others who may be reading this looking for network connection info, my OS is Windows 7 professional sp1, the Motif XF8 OS is 1.3.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2018 @ 10:36 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
laryan - 24 April 2018 08:01 PM

5pinDIN, thank you for taking the time to respond.

You’re welcome.

laryan -

Tried pinging as you suggested and all is good.  I got the new crossover cable today and now I see the Motif XF as a network device in Windows 7.  I am able to access the usb stick on the Motif which is the main functionality I am looking for.  I haven’t tried moving files from one device to the other yet, but I don’t anticipate a problem. I’m half way there.

OK.

laryan -

However,I can’t mount the PC in the Motif.  I turned the DHCP client off. I did an ipconfig search to get the local network IP address, gateway and DNA addresses.  I entered that info manually.  The Mount User Name is I entered in Utility is the identical PC name as it appears in my system info.  But I’m getting the can’t access host message.

The XF’s IP address can’t be the same as the network’s. For example, ipconfig reported that my Ethernet card is at 169.254.30.64, so I set the XF to 169.254.30.65. (For those who are network savvy… I know that’s an APIPA address, but it works for me.)

laryan -

The PC is connected with a wireless adapter to the network. I’m wondering if that is causing a layer of complication.

Perhaps, if there’s an IP address conflict. First try changing the XF’s address as I mentioned.

laryan -

For others who may be reading this looking for network connection info, my OS is Windows 7 professional sp1, the Motif XF8 OS is 1.3.

I suggest that you update your XF’s OS. The most recent is v1.50, and it includes new features/effects, bug fixes, and (since v1.40) power-up automatically mounts the previously mounted network drive. Be sure to create a backup “All” file first.

XF OS Version 1.50 download:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/61410_en.html

File with 32 new Voices and 8 Performances that use new effects in OS V1.50:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/312762/NewVoiceV1.5.zip

------------

Keep us posted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2018 @ 08:54 PM
laryan
Joined  08-03-2014

5pinDIN - Thanks very much for the download files.  Much appreciated!

Tried a similar network setting to the one you describe.

Motif XF8
IP - 169.254.249.33
Subnet - 255.255.0.0
Gateway - 0.0.0.0
DNS1 - 8.8.8.8
DNS2 - 8.8.4.4

Windows 7
IP - 169.254.249.32
Subnet - 255.255.0.0
Gateway - 0.0.0.0
DNS1 - 8.8.8.8
DNS2 - 8.8.4.4

I can successfully ping the Motif IP address from the PC.  When I try to mount the PC I see the PC Host Name.  I’m prompted for the password and leave it blank since there is no signon password for this computer.  But I still get can’t connect to host.  I’m running out of ideas.  Am I missing something obvious?

Question regarding the firmware update.  Will the Motif password be reset to the default ‘None’ or will I still have the current one?
I saw an article on firmware updates on the synthyamaha site, and it describes loading the USER information from the Save All file after the update.  Others seem to have retrieved performances and user voices with the factory reset.  I guess either will work.  I’m a little nervous about trying it, but I’m going to update this weekend.  Looking forward to using the most current version of the Motif Editor VST in Cubase (also use Digital Performer).

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2018 @ 11:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
laryan - 26 April 2018 08:54 PM

5pinDIN - Thanks very much for the download files.  Much appreciated!

You’re welcome!

laryan -

Tried a similar network setting to the one you describe.

Motif XF8
IP - 169.254.249.33
Subnet - 255.255.0.0
Gateway - 0.0.0.0
DNS1 - 8.8.8.8
DNS2 - 8.8.4.4

Windows 7
IP - 169.254.249.32
Subnet - 255.255.0.0
Gateway - 0.0.0.0
DNS1 - 8.8.8.8
DNS2 - 8.8.4.4

I can successfully ping the Motif IP address from the PC.  When I try to mount the PC I see the PC Host Name.  I’m prompted for the password and leave it blank since there is no signon password for this computer.  But I still get can’t connect to host.  I’m running out of ideas.  Am I missing something obvious?

It’s been previously reported (by VikasSharma) that uninstalling Windows Live Essentials allows the XF to see the PC under Win 7. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/453016/P15/

laryan -

Question regarding the firmware update.  Will the Motif password be reset to the default ‘None’ or will I still have the current one?
I saw an article on firmware updates on the synthyamaha site, and it describes loading the USER information from the Save All file after the update.  Others seem to have retrieved performances and user voices with the factory reset.  I guess either will work.

I would save an “All” file as directed by the Readme file that come with the OS update. After updating, you could load that file as “all without system”, if you want to avoid loading the Utility mode settings. Other wise, load as “all”.

laryan -

I’m a little nervous about trying it, but I’m going to update this weekend.  Looking forward to using the most current version of the Motif Editor VST in Cubase (also use Digital Performer).

To help make the updating process go smoothly, be sure to use a USB flash drive that has proven to work reliably with your XF. The update file should be copied to the root of the USB drive.

laryan -

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

No problem. I hope you resolve the problem, since networking the XF (in both directions) makes using it more enjoyable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2018 @ 07:16 PM
laryan
Joined  08-03-2014

Hi again.

Made some progress this weekend.  Successfully upgraded the OS to 1.50.4 with no problems.

Still able to access the XF from the PC and see the USB contents.

Still able to see the PC from the File Mount tab and now the shared folders are visible.  However, I can’t mount any of folders.  I get a ‘disk or memory read/write error’ for every folder.  Checked the sharing permissions to enable ‘Everyone’ for full access, but I cant get any further.

For others who may be interested in how to configure a network connection with a Windows 7 ethernet connection, I was able to do everything above with the exception of mounting a folder by:

- Cross over cable connection with no PC wireless connection to the network. Local network connection only.  I was able to do this with a manual IP configuration with DHCP off, and with it on.

- Cross over cable connection with the PC connected to a wireless network adapter.  The other laptops also connected to the network could see the Motif.  But the Motif could not mount a folder.

I’ve run out of ideas to try.  The Win7 advanced network setting are set for file and print sharing.  The folders are set to share with ‘everyone’, but I get the ‘disk or memory read/write error’ every time. 

Checked other forum postings on this topic but couldn’t find a a solution.

Not sure if Homegroups is the problem for file sharing when I’m only connected to a local network - pc to motif.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again for the suggestion to upgrade the OS.

Best.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2018 @ 09:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
laryan - 28 April 2018 07:16 PM

[...] Am I missing something obvious?

I wish I knew for certain. Unfortunately, every computer OS seems to require a somewhat different approach to Motif networking setup.

From previous discussions with other members running Windows 7 or 8, we determined that…
1) Network Discovery has to be turned on.
2) Since the XF and XS run MontaVista Linux, they can have problems accessing a computer in a Windows HomeGroup. Some users don’t place shares for the Motif in a HomeGroup.

Have you seen this particular thread?…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/456594/

Once you’re (hopefully!) able to mount shared PC folders…
If you haven’t already done this, to have Auto Remount work, see Automatic Mounting of the Network Drive on page 7 of the XF Supplementary Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/53105).
Once that’s set up, previously mounted drives/folders will remount without manual intervention as long as you turn the PC on first and off last - that is, turn it on before the XF, and turn it off after the XF.

laryan -

Thanks again for the suggestion to upgrade the OS.

Best.

You’re welcome. I’m glad at least that went smoothly.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2018 @ 11:26 AM
laryan
Joined  08-03-2014

Hi.

Sorry for the delay in replying.  My work schedule has been crazy.

I was ultimately able to mount a folder from a different laptop on my network running windows 8. So I’m able to to complete the circle, just not on the same computer - which is ok for now.

At some point I will take a closer look at the vagaries of Win7 homegroups to see what is different vis a vis Win8 which I suspect may be a system setting, but for now this set up works for me.

Thanks for you help.  I saw a forum discussion from a few years ago where you provided similar assistance. He was able to finally mount a folder using Win8, which gave me the idea to try it on a different computer on the network.  I probably wouldn’t have thought to try that so the advice you gave back then was helpful now.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2018 @ 08:48 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
laryan - 19 May 2018 11:26 AM

Hi.

Sorry for the delay in replying.  My work schedule has been crazy.

I was ultimately able to mount a folder from a different laptop on my network running windows 8. So I’m able to to complete the circle, just not on the same computer - which is ok for now.

At some point I will take a closer look at the vagaries of Win7 homegroups to see what is different vis a vis Win8 which I suspect may be a system setting, but for now this set up works for me.

Thanks for you help.  I saw a forum discussion from a few years ago where you provided similar assistance. He was able to finally mount a folder using Win8, which gave me the idea to try it on a different computer on the network.  I probably wouldn’t have thought to try that so the advice you gave back then was helpful now.

Cheers.

You’re welcome, and thanks for following up on this. I’m glad you were able to get things working with Win8. Hopefully others having trouble networking a Motif will find your experience helpful.

I think it’s worth the effort to get Ethernet functional. I have a three-port non-powered USB hub connected to the TO DEVICE port, with an ASCII keyboard and two flash drives plugged into the hub. Via the network I can save and load files to/from the PC, and easily swap files between the PC and the flash drives without having to move the drives.

[ Ignore ]