mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "hello, how can i record sound played on a motif xf6 to cubase 9 using the vst editor?"

Page 3 of 4
Posted on: May 02, 2018 @ 05:21 AM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  164
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi again,

It’s good to know that you now have the audio side sorted. :-)

The “MIDI port unmapped” message pops up because you haven’t set MIDI ports for Cubase to use. Nothing bad happens because of this, and you can safely keep recording like you already do. Using your Motif XF’s MIDI capabilities, however, opens the door to a whole bunch of nice tricks in Cubase, e.g.:

- Record and play MIDI tracks in Cubase for multitimbral setups (in Song Mode, your Motif can play 16 simultaneous MIDI parts).
- Use Cubase to process MIDI data (edit notes and controller data in detail, add MIDI events such as “program change” messages, generate notation sheets, etc.)
- Use Cubase’s Motif XF Editor VST to organize the data in your Motif.
- Have Cubase recall settings on your Motif when opening a project.
- Use your Motif’s “Tape Transport” buttons and faders/knobs to remote-control Cubase.

There’s more to it, of course, but your manuals will have details on most of these features. Here’s how you make the Motif XF available as a MIDI input/output in Cubase:

1: Make sure the Yamaha USB MIDI Driver is installed on your computer.
2: Connect your Motif’s “To Host” port to an available USB port on your computer.
3: Power up your Motif, then press the [UTILITY] button to enter the Utility mode.
4: Press the [F5] button followed by the [SF2] button to call up the MIDI display. In this screen, set the MIDI In/Out parameter to “USB”, and press [STORE] to save the setting.

5: Start Cubase and select Devices > Device Setup.
6: In the dialog, select MIDI Port Setup from the list on the left.
7: Make all the input/output ports for your Motif XF available by putting an ‘X’ in each row of the “Visible” column.
8: In the “In ‘All MIDI” column, only the first port needs to be active. This will be Cubase’s default MIDI input for recording.
9: Click OK.

Unlike audio cables (and the original 5-pin MIDI cables) the USB connection is bi-directional, and will transmit MIDI data both ways:

From the Motif to your PC, e.g.:
- to transmit note and controller data played on the keyboard into Cubase for recording
- to transmit current settings from the Motif to the VST editor

From your PC to the Motif, e.g.:
- to have your Motif play back data from Cubase
- to transmit settings from the VST editor to your Motif

If you want to learn more about MIDI, I recommend visiting the MIDI Tutorials website. The site’s admin is a nice and helpful guy. :-)

Best of luck!

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2018 @ 07:37 AM
salvosound
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-08-2013

Thank you for all, you also are a nice guy =)
This is my first recorded track, no matter stuff like copyright lol i want to share it with you, even if it’s not a professional song obviously :p

File Attachments
beauty.mp3  (File Size: 5391KB - Downloads: 169)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2018 @ 09:33 AM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011

Sounds very nice, I’m impressed! :-D

Is the accompaniment all patterns or arpeggios? I have to learn how to use them on my own Motif… :-)

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2018 @ 10:22 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013
- Henry - - 02 May 2018 09:33 AM

Sounds very nice, I’m impressed! :-D

Is the accompaniment all patterns or arpeggios? I have to learn how to use them on my own Motif… :-)

- H -

Arpeggios on “piano electro” perform mode my friend =)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2018 @ 07:22 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Henry, and everyone wants to help..
there is a way to add to my recorded track (from the motif to pc) the sound coming from a turntable playin a vinil?
I d like to accompaing (with the piano on the motif) the sound coming from the turntable (which is not so far from my mic -> plugged into the synth).
I have to run a double cable (different from what i have now to plug the mic..) from the mic to the motif and from the motif to the pc? And what type of cable?
It would be so cool… any help is appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 03:05 AM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

I imagine the easiest thing would be to hook the turntable directly to one of your PC’s inputs.

What kind of turntable do you have, and what type of connectors does it have?

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 04:26 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013
- Henry - - 08 May 2018 03:05 AM

Hi,

I imagine the easiest thing would be to hook the turntable directly to one of your PC’s inputs.

What kind of turntable do you have, and what type of connectors does it have?

- H -

The turntable is a technichs sl1200 mk2 but its too far from pc to make pphysical connections.
Instead i thought to use the integrated sampling function and record a wavevorm (and save it to FL1) from the sound coming from the turntable, using my mic connected to the motif as recording method.
The problem is that i want to create now a song with 2 track parts:

-the first is the sound recorded from turntable
-the second is the piano voice (e.g. full concert grand) which with i want to accompaing the turntable sound (played vinyl).

The problem is that i am not be able to choose (in song mode) the first part to which assigning the waveform i saved.
As i see with my knowing it can only let me set the voices through the banks (e.g. VOICE -> PRE1 - 001) but not a recorded waveform to have it as first part of the song and then add the second part as normal voice (e.g. full concert grand)
Thanks for any help =)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 06:34 AM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

Did you sample the turntable in Song mode, i.e. from the Motif’s built-in sequencer? Instead, you should create your sample in Voice mode. Once you’ve set up the voice and saved it to one of the user voice banks, you should be able to select it in song mode.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 07:53 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013
- Henry - - 08 May 2018 06:34 AM

Hi,

Did you sample the turntable in Song mode, i.e. from the Motif’s built-in sequencer? Instead, you should create your sample in Voice mode. Once you’ve set up a patch and saved it to one of the user voice banks, you should be able to select it in song mode.

- H -

Thanks, i sampled now starting from Voice mode.
I saved the waveform in C 3 Key but i don’t know how to recall this key to a part of the song..
Please can you remember me the sequence to set up the song parts with the voices you want? Some time ago i made it but now i don’t remember.
I went in song mode, choosed an empty song, pressed rec and now i have all the parts of the song like “full concert grand”.
I would like to edit the parts to obtain the desired song but i don’t remember the sequence to edit the single parts choosing for each one the voice i want. One of this voices should be the recorded sound through the sampling option.
I looked also in the manual but unfortunately i can’t find anything

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 08:25 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

Here is a pic of what i see on the keyboard when i try to set up a song

edit: the attach files function doesn’t work..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 08:47 AM
- Henry -
Joined  10-30-2011

Did you include the sample in a Voice, and save it to one of the User voice banks?

When in Song or Pattern mode, press the [Mixing] button. From the Mixing display, you can select a voice bank and a voice number for each part. If you saved your voice, it will be in one of the User banks.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 09:21 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
salvosound - 08 May 2018 08:25 AM

File attachments work, as long as the file type (extension) is correct and the file size is limited to no more than 20,000KB.

For pictures, .GIF and .JPG are acceptable. Other file types can be attached if you ZIP them first.

For example:

Image Attachments
salvosound - avatar_472388.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 09:31 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013
- Henry - - 08 May 2018 08:47 AM

Did you include the sample in a Voice, and save it to one of the User voice banks?

When in Song or Pattern mode, press the [Mixing] button. From the Mixing display, you can select a voice bank and a voice number for each part. If you saved your voice, it will be in one of the User banks.

- H -

In my case “C” stands for voice bank? And “3” stands for voice number?
I can’t find the saved waveform, also don’t find it through category search in mixing mode.
Other thing, i saved the sampled recording to FL1 module. Which is the corresponding path? PRE? USR? USRDR, PREDR? GM?
Anyway, no problem, i will save a recorded sample again in FL1 and will try to remember the path…
Until now it was a generic “C 3” but have to remember the path.
Thanks for all

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 10:20 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013

I am wondering that when i recorded and saved the waveform, the “voice” settings was set to “off”.
Maybe i have to set to “on”, choose one of the existing voices and overwrite with the one i recorded?
This is the only way to be able to recall it when in song mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2018 @ 10:50 AM
salvosound
Joined  03-08-2013
5pinDIN - 08 May 2018 09:21 AM
salvosound - 08 May 2018 08:25 AM

File attachments work, as long as the file type (extension) is correct and the file size is limited to no more than 20,000KB.

For pictures, .GIF and .JPG are acceptable. Other file types can be attached if you ZIP them first.

For example:

Attach a file Max Size20000KB

i assure you i attached a .jpg file of 4,5mb (4500KB) but it doesn’t work.
Maybe that “20000”, that i read when i do “reply” and want to attach a file, is only “20”?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 4