mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "conecting moxf8 with ableton live"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 08:35 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Thanks for the schematic.  I can see your problem.

Because your MOXF analog outputs are connected to your Focusrite inputs they currently hit a dead end.  In order to play and hear your MOXF through the Focusrite (and Ableton), you need to set up a Stereo Audio Track alongside a MIDI Track in Ableton (yes both) to monitor the audio coming in from the MOXF.

You need to assign that stereo audio track with inputs that match the physical inputs that you are using on the Focusrite.

So, if you plugged the MOXF into Focusrite inputs 1 and 2, then you need to create a stereo audio track with inputs 1 and 2 for it.

Finally, In order to hear the sound from the MOXF, that audio track needs to be either in Record, or Record Ready (often called Armed).

This is very normal for a set up like yours and it does catch a few people out,

(Be sure to use a MIDI track for MOXF MIDI purposes and not an instrument track too.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 08:52 AM
hamham
Total Posts:  9
Joined  04-05-2018

@philwoodmusic
yes i did it the same way you explained. i got it. i drew a new set-up and now i have the final problem, that i want to have different midi sounds from my moxf on different midi tracks..

File Attachments
Hamham_Hardware-SetUp.pdf  (File Size: 218KB - Downloads: 143)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
hamham
Joined  04-05-2018

i missed to say, that i haven´t found a solution to adress different midi channels in ableton to be played on the moxf as different audio at the same time. do i have to set up different matching midi channels on the moxf?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 09:56 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

If you want to use multiple midi channels at once, put the MOXF in Song or Pattern mode, either can support up to 16 parts over 16 channels, but no more.

Forget that Song Mode or Pattern mode is also the internal sequencer on the MOXF, I mean TOTALLY forget that because some people get hung up on it.  They are also multi channel modes, or multi timbral modes, if you like, for use with computer sequencers / DAWs.

When you create a MIDI track in Ableton, you will see that you can assign each new track to a specific MIDI channel and MOXF port.

MOXF port 1 covers all 16 midi channels for the MOXF.

Create a new project in Ableton, and create 16 midi tracks, on channels 1-16 on MOXF port 1, then create one audio track so you can hear your MOXF through your Focusrite like we’ve previously discussed.

So on MOXF Port 1:

Ableton MIDI Channels 1-16 = MOXF Parts 1-16 (or tracks 1-16) in Song Mode.

You can likely create hundreds of MIDI tracks in Ableton, but they will all share the 16 available MIDI channels (designated by you), and they will share them however you like.

You could have 100 tracks all on MIDI channel 1 and 50 on midi channel 2 in the same project, or one track per channel.

You don’t have to use all 16 channels, but you can’t use any more than 16 channels per MOXF.

Ableton will allow you to play and record MIDI data to trigger whatever sounds you set up in Song Mode and the Mixing for it.

That’s all it is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 10:47 AM
hamham
Joined  04-05-2018

i got it! thank you so much for your help and support!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 10:57 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You are very welcome.

The concept is a little bit confusing if you’ve only ever been used to playing soft synths, because they get set up for you, and it’s too easy.

It is also often difficult for many people to understand that song mode isn’t just the internal sequencer.

If you see it now, you’ll never forget it and all brands of workstation work in much the same way.

Don’t forget that you can use audio tracks and instrument tracks for soft synths alongside your MOXF MIDI tracks in the same project, but I expect you already know that.

My idea of you creating a new project for Midi tracks was really just to get you to focus on your goal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 02:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
philwoodmusic - 07 April 2018 09:56 AM

If you want to use multiple midi channels at once, put the MOXF in Song or Pattern mode, either can support up to 16 parts over 16 channels, but no more.

Forget that Song Mode or Pattern mode is also the internal sequencer on the MOXF, I mean TOTALLY forget that because some people get hung up on it.  They are also multi channel modes, or multi timbral modes, if you like, for use with computer sequencers / DAWs.

When you create a MIDI track in Ableton, you will see that you can assign each new track to a specific MIDI channel and MOXF port.

MOXF port 1 covers all 16 midi channels for the MOXF.

Create a new project in Ableton, and create 16 midi tracks, on channels 1-16 on MOXF port 1, then create one audio track so you can hear your MOXF through your Focusrite like we’ve previously discussed.

So on MOXF Port 1:

Ableton MIDI Channels 1-16 = MOXF Parts 1-16 (or tracks 1-16) in Song Mode.

You can likely create hundreds of MIDI tracks in Ableton, but they will all share the 16 available MIDI channels (designated by you), and they will share them however you like.

You could have 100 tracks all on MIDI channel 1 and 50 on midi channel 2 in the same project, or one track per channel.

You don’t have to use all 16 channels, but you can’t use any more than 16 channels per MOXF.

Ableton will allow you to play and record MIDI data to trigger whatever sounds you set up in Song Mode and the Mixing for it.

That’s all it is.

Thanks for all your insight, philwoodmusic. Although it may not impact hamham‘s usage (when sequencing is done exclusively in a DAW), I’d like to clarify one thing…

The terms “Parts” and “Tracks” are not interchangeable. By default, they are both assigned to the same MIDI channels - that is, Part 1 and Track 1 to Channel 1, Part 2 and Track 2 to Channel 2, etc. However, it should be noted that Parts act as MIDI receivers, and Tracks as MIDI transmitters.

So when hamham sends MIDI data from tracks in Ableton, they will be received by Parts (not Tracks) in the MOXF. That distinction is especially important if MIDI channels assignments are changed from default in the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 03:28 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes, very nicely put.

I thought about suggesting a factory reset to hamham many times, just to guarantee that default channels and parts all line up, but I hate suggesting that, even with advice to back up first, just in case it causes a panic of any kind.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Automatization
Next Topic:

Arpeggio libraries for MOXF ››