mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Configuration question for MOXF8, Keyscape, and Ableton Live"

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 03:41 PM
bdpianoman
Total Posts:  18
Joined  05-07-2014

I am currently using Keyscape with my Yamaha MOXF8 as a controller.  Ableton Live is my DAW.  Since I set Keyscape up, I have been able to use Keyscsoe just fine but unable to pull up any sound patches out of my MOXF8.  I would like to “mix” patches from the MOXF8 with Keyscape.  I’m pretty sure that I must have either the MOXF8 and/or Ableton configured incorrectly.  Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 04:33 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Please could you tell us how your MOXF is currently configured.  Of particular importance is how you are listening to your MOXF and how it is cabled, if at all, with regard to both MIDI and audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 05:45 PM
bdpianoman
Joined  05-07-2014

Currently, I have the MOXF8 connected to my MacBook Pro from the “USB To Host” port on the MOXF8.  I am running to audio cables from the left and right “Output” jacks on the MOXF8 directly to two JBL powered speakers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 07:13 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Thanks.

A few more questions…

1 - When you play Keyscape, I’m presuming that you can hear it coming back through the MOXF via the MOXF’s DAW level slider? 

(That would be normal behaviour for someone using the MOXF as an audio interface.  If that isn’t the case, how are you hearing Keyscape?)

2 - What mode is your MOXF in when you hope to mix it with Keyscape?  Voice, Performance, Pattern or Song?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 08:40 PM
bdpianoman
Joined  05-07-2014

(1) Yes.  I am using the DAW Level slider to control the output volume to my JBL speakers.
(2) I am primarily interested in using the MOXF in Voice mode with Keyscape.  I say primarily because there may be a few Performance patches that I’d like to use with Keyscape as well - if possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 08:48 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

It may well be that your MOXF’s MIDI Local Control is set to off.  Try setting it to on.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/mox_series/mox6/10246/8065/

Those instructions are for turning it OFF, but use them to turn it ON

If you are still having problems beyond that, then it may be that your MOXF and Keyscape are not communicating on the same MIDI channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 09:13 PM
bdpianoman
Joined  05-07-2014

That did it!!! Thanks so much!!! One additional question: is there a way to adjust the DAW slider min and max levels beyond the standard setting?  I ask this because the MOXF patch level is “drowning out” the Keyscape even when I slide the DAW level to max.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 09:29 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You can’t, but there are other things you certainly can do.

On the MOXF, you can go into EDIT on the Voice you are using and reduce its output level (and then store it to a USER VOICE location if you’d like to use it again quickly without that editing.)

You could also increase the output level of Keyscape. That could be done using Keyscape’s own main volume control, or the channel fader you set up in Ableton for Keyscape, or perhaps a bit of both.

i’m betting reducing the Voice’s output level works better though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 09:37 PM
bdpianoman
Joined  05-07-2014

Great!  I will play around with this.  Thanks so much for your help!!! You’ve been super helpful!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 10:19 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

No worries.

That way is a kind of ‘on the fly’ way of doing it.

You could also look at turning the local off again and setting up an external MIDI track alongside your Keyscape track in Ableton.

If your aim is to eventually record both sets of sounds, then it would be easiest to balance them against each other when they are recorded either as midi data or on audio tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Chord recognition in XS-type arpeggios
Next Topic:

Motif and MOXF voices ››