mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "wah manual? vcm pedal wah"

Posted on: March 01, 2018 @ 05:01 PM
EricMonroe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  03-19-2016

Hi, I am trying to understand and learn the “VCM Pedal Wah” There are several parameters, however, I cannot find in any manual explaining the meaning of: type, bottom, top, even pedal control is not clear, or output.

Where can I find help on that?

thanks, Eric

Motif XF

BTW, I am working on emulating the song Money by Pink Floyd for a Tribute
Band… and… you can imagine how essential nailing that tone might be.

Image Attachments
2018-03-01.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2018 @ 05:02 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

and yes, I have a pedal attached :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2018 @ 08:53 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 01 March 2018 05:01 PM

Hi, I am trying to understand and learn the “VCM Pedal Wah” There are several parameters, however, I cannot find in any manual explaining the meaning of: type, bottom, top, even pedal control is not clear, or output.

Where can I find help on that? [...]

The VCM Pedal Wah Parameters aren’t too difficult to comprehend - if you’ve used a real Wah Wah pedal, that is.  :-)

The Synthesizer Parameter Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48523) defines many terms, but unfortunately they’re pretty vague when it comes to the VCM-related ones.

So, a little background:
The Wah effect is that of a sweepable bandpass filter. A range of frequencies is allowed through, while others are not. That range can be shifted up and down in frequency by the pedal.

Pedal Control determines how “open” the filter is. If set to a very low number, the filter is nearly or completely closed, so the pedal will have little or no effect. If set to a very high number, the filter is almost or completely open, and again the pedal will have minimal effect. Settings closer to the middle of the range of values typically give more desirable results.

Bottom and Top determine the range of the filter. The maximum effect is obtained when the the Bottom setting is “0” and the Top setting is “127”. See the Note in the Data List, mentioned below.

Resonance Offset shifts the filter’s resonant peak up or down in frequency, depending on whether the setting is positive or negative, and to what degree.

Direction determines heel/toe up/down response direction. It’s pretty self explanatory if you try the two settings.

Type determines at which frequencies (High, Mid, Low, Bass) the Wah should work well. Set it based on the sound you’re controlling.

Overdrive sets the amount of distortion generated, as if “too much” effect was applied.

Output determines the level of the effect applied.

See the XF Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/52366), page 101, for the range of settings available for each Parameter. Note that “When the value of Bottom is greater than Top, the sound will not be modulated and only the Bottom value is available.”

For all of the Parameter settings, experiment if you’re not sure. Nothing will break.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2018 @ 04:21 AM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

Ok Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2018 @ 01:53 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

that was a very detailed custom reply. that was awesome.

on a slightly different topic… i see “HD” in the voice names and else where… what does that stand for? :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2018 @ 05:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 02 March 2018 04:21 AM

Ok Thanks!

EricMonroe - 02 March 2018 01:53 PM

that was a very detailed custom reply. that was awesome.

You’re welcome.

EricMonroe -

on a slightly different topic… i see “HD” in the voice names and else where… what does that stand for? :)

I’m not sure which Voice names you’re referring to. Could you specifically mention some of them?

As to elsewhere…
There are reverb effects such as HD Hall, HD Room, and HD Plate. In those cases HD is an abbreviation of High Damp. Damping causes the reverb effect to decay more rapidly. The HD reverbs have a Parameter, High Damp Frequency - it determines to which high frequencies the decay will be applied. The Parameter can be set from 1kHz through 20kHz. A setting of 1kHz would apply the damping to that frequency and those above it - the 20kHz setting effectively applies no damping at all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2018 @ 04:28 AM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

Ok, I see, I think that explains my voice names, as i think they are High Damp Reverb versions of a voice… I sent an attachment. Not sure where I got these voices from.

thank you again ;)

Image Attachments
2018-03-02.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2018 @ 09:49 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 03 March 2018 04:28 AM

[...] I sent an attachment. Not sure where I got these voices from.

Those do seem to be renamed versions of factory Voices, some obviously including the full name of HD reverb types. Offhand, I’m not familiar with the source, either.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sample Question
Next Topic:

How to buy Vintage Keys - Voice Bank for Yamaha MO XF ››