mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help!!!  Motif XF firmware update not working"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 04:58 AM
Blorin Farbu
Total Posts:  15
Joined  02-11-2018

Hi Guys,

I am sorry if this was discussed somewhere else, I couldn’t find it.

I am trying to update the firmware from 1.01 to 1.5
- formated usb drive
- only the .pgm file is on the stick
- I insert the stick while motif is turned off.
- Open while pressing utility and up arrow

... and the keyboard just opens like nothing happened, no firmware updater

What to do?

Thanks!
Flo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 07:55 AM
wavesequence
Total Posts:  30
Joined  07-20-2009

Is the USB drive formatted in FAT32?

Did you format the USB drive with your Motif XF?

Have you kept pressed the utility and up arrow for several seconds until the updater starts?

Have you tried to change the brand of the USB drive? For instance I found SanDisk Cruzer Fit very efficient.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 08:16 AM
Blorin Farbu
Joined  02-11-2018

Yes to all of them, except other USB drive. Motif sees the USB drive very well, I can upload WAVs, etc.
No matter what I do, the keyboard boots normally even if I keep utility and up arrow pressed. No updater starts.
Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 08:18 AM
Blorin Farbu
Joined  02-11-2018

I am using ADATA s805 USB drive

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 08:33 AM
wavesequence
Joined  07-20-2009

have you done an attempt with the previous firmware 1.40?

HERE

Try to change the brand of the USB drive

If the actual USB drive functions normally it’s not said it is suitable for the firmware upgrade. Maybe it’s too slow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 08:38 AM
wavesequence
Joined  07-20-2009

VIDEO

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 08:41 AM
wavesequence
Joined  07-20-2009

1. After downloading, copy the uncompressed [8K44OS_.PGM] file to a USB memory device that has been formatted on the MOTIF XF. No other files should be present on the USB memory device.

2. Power off the MOTIF XF.

3. Connect the USB memory device copied in step 1 into the MOTIF XF. Power on the MOTIF XF while holding down the [Cursor UP] button and [UTILITY] buttons until the “MOTIF XF” logo appears on screen.

4. The MOTIF XF OS updater will begin with the message “Searching for the firmware updater,” indicating “......%”.
When the message “Finish. Please turn off “ appears, turn off the MOTIF XF and remove the USB memory device.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 09:05 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

What’s happening has nothing to do with the USB drive. Even if there is no USB drive connected, as long as the update procedure buttons are properly pressed the XF will look for the file. That is, MOTIF XF and Searching for the firmware updater... will appear on the display. That will shortly be followed by “USB memory not found!” and “Press [INC/YES] : Retry” when a drive isn’t present.

Make sure that the [ ^ ] and [UTILITY] buttons are both held down before powering on the XF, power on the XF, and continue holding them down until MOTIF XF appears at the top of the screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 09:06 AM
Blorin Farbu
Joined  02-11-2018

Thanks a lotfor your help, I am doing all the steps above, but nothing seems to work. I will try with another USB stick, I hope it works.

I have ver 1.01, perhaps is the procedure different for 1.01 update? Or doesn’t work directly from that to 1.5?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 09:11 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Blorin Farbu - 23 February 2018 09:06 AM

Thanks a lotfor your help, I am doing all the steps above, but nothing seems to work. I will try with another USB stick, I hope it works.

I have ver 1.01, perhaps is the procedure different for 1.01 update? Or doesn’t work directly from that to 1.5?

Since you posted immediately after I did, you probably didn’t see what I wrote. Please read it.

Neither the OS version nor the USB stick is the cause of the XF not looking for the file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 09:32 AM
Blorin Farbu
Joined  02-11-2018
5pinDIN - 23 February 2018 09:05 AM

What’s happening has nothing to do with the USB drive. Even if there is no USB drive connected, as long as the update procedure buttons are properly pressed the XF will look for the file. That is, MOTIF XF and Searching for the firmware updater... will appear on the display. That will shortly be followed by “USB memory not found!” and “Press [INC/YES] : Retry” when a drive isn’t present.

Make sure that the [ ^ ] and [UTILITY] buttons are both held down before powering on the XF, power on the XF, and continue holding them down until MOTIF XF appears at the top of the screen.

This is exactly what I am doing. Motif XF is closed. I insert the usb, press both utility and up arrow, power up the Motif while keeping them pressed, and continue keeping them pressed until… motif is fully booted, with sounds loaded. Nothing else happens… I tried this over 20 times I think.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 09:44 AM
Blorin Farbu
Joined  02-11-2018

Checked, both buttons works just fine when the keyboard is in use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 09:52 AM
wavesequence
Joined  07-20-2009

Your Motif XF must be serviced.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 09:54 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Blorin Farbu - 23 February 2018 09:32 AM

This is exactly what I am doing. Motif XF is closed. I insert the usb, press both utility and up arrow, power up the Motif while keeping them pressed, and continue keeping them pressed until… motif is fully booted, with sounds loaded. Nothing else happens… I tried this over 20 times I think.

Perhaps the very early OS in your unit is indeed causing a problem.

What happens if there is no USB drive inserted while following the updating procedure?

There’s a Test Mode which might be accessible even in the current state. With power to the XF off, press and hold down the [REMOTE] and [ * ](Record) buttons simultaneously and switch on the power. Continue to hold the two buttons down until MOTIF XF and TEST MODE are displayed. If that’s displayed, make note of the next screen, if any, which appears. Either way, don’t go further - power the XF off. Let us know what happens.

Warning: For those of you who aren’t experiencing any problems with your XF,
do me (and yourself) a favor and don’t enter the Test Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 10:05 AM
Blorin Farbu
Joined  02-11-2018

There is no TEST MODE displayed. The same as before, the keyboard loads like nothing happened.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2018 @ 10:15 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Blorin Farbu - 23 February 2018 10:05 AM

There is no TEST MODE displayed. The same as before, the keyboard loads like nothing happened.

It’s time to contact Yamaha Support in your country. See the last page of the XF Owner’s Manual for locations and phone numbers, or check online for updated information.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Strange key action on XF8?
Next Topic:

Vocoder ››