mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi question"

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 04:35 PM
matje
Total Posts:  45
Joined  12-12-2012

Hello,

I am totally new in midi, so please forgive me when I ask an strange question.

First I imported a midi files into the Motif XS. Next I muted some channels. The I changed the voice of the channels I want to hear and saved the song. When the midi file is played, the voices change again.

How do I make sure the voice on a channel keeps the voice I selected?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 06:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
matje - 21 February 2018 04:35 PM

Hello,

I am totally new in midi, so please forgive me when I ask an strange question.

OK, but please forgive me - we have to agree to use the same terminology which relates to the XS, or we won’t be communicating.  :-)

matje -

First I imported a midi files into the Motif XS.

I presume you mean that you loaded a .MID file to an XS Song location. If not, please tell us.

matje -

Next I muted some channels.

The term “mute” is often misused - it has a particular meaning with reference to the XS. An XS Part/Voice or Track can be “muted”. Exactly what did you do?

matje -

The I changed the voice of the channels I want to hear and saved the song.

You apparently changed the Voices related to certain Parts, which are assigned to certain Tracks, and then saved the edited Song.

matje -

When the midi file is played, the voices change again.

I presume you mean that when you played the previously edited and saved Song, the Voices reverted to what they were before you changed them.

matje -

How do I make sure the voice on a channel keeps the voice I selected?

I presume you are referring to the Voice for a Part.

If the change you made isn’t remaining after it was stored, then the file you loaded might be a General MIDI (GM) one. In that case there can be a GM Reset message at the beginning of the file. That will cause the Voices to revert. To prevent that, the GM Reset has to be removed from the sequence.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/a_short_tutorial_creating_proper_gm_files
Use the Event List to determine if the GM Reset exists in the Song data. If it does, remove it. (See pages 35 and 192-194 of the XS Owner’s Manual. Use the View Filter to make finding SysEx messages easier.)

I hope that helps. Please ask further questions and/or supply additional information as needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2018 @ 11:56 AM
matje
Joined  12-12-2012

Thanks, thats was the answer I needed.

I edited the song and stores it into the Motif XS. When I power off and on again the song is lost.
How is this possible. I looked into the manual but still the song is not stored.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2018 @ 12:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
matje - 24 February 2018 11:56 AM

Thanks, thats was the answer I needed.

You’re welcome.

matje - 24 February 2018 11:56 AM

I edited the song and stores it into the Motif XS. When I power off and on again the song is lost.
How is this possible. I looked into the manual but still the song is not stored.

It’s possible that the Utility mode Power On Auto Factory Set setting is turned on. (See page 269 of the XS Owner’s Manual.) If so, remove the check mark and press [ENTER], as shown on the display. That will, of course, do a factory reset, and should turn off Power On Auto Factory Set as well. (First save a backup “All” file if you want to keep any of your own data.)

Please verify at that point that Power On Auto Factory Set is unchecked.

Another possibility is that you are using Auto Load. (See page 262 of the XS Owner’s Manual.) If so, the file being loaded will overwrite all the User data in the XS. Auto Load can be turned off. STORE changes if wanted.

You can then load your “All” file - do not load it using Auto Load - and be sure to select ”without system” to avoid possibly turning Power On Auto Factory Set back on. If you want to use Auto Load, and there are Utility settings you want to have in your Auto Load file, make and store them. Resave the Auto Load file (if any) and your “All” file(s) - once that’s done, they can be be loaded “with system” without a problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2018 @ 10:10 AM
matje
Joined  12-12-2012

Thanks again! If you don’t know those things, you can search for a long time.

I have a final question. On channel 16 in the song I made a click for the person on the drums. Output for channel 16 is asL.  When the song is played you can hear the click still on the normal outputs. On the assL output you can hear the click also, but also the other channels of the song. When assR is selected for channel 16, things go correct.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2018 @ 10:50 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
matje - 27 February 2018 10:10 AM

Thanks again! If you don’t know those things, you can search for a long time.

No problem - I’m glad to help.

matje - 27 February 2018 10:10 AM

I have a final question. On channel 16 in the song I made a click for the person on the drums. Output for channel 16 is asL.  When the song is played you can hear the click still on the normal outputs. On the assL output you can hear the click also, but also the other channels of the song. When assR is selected for channel 16, things go correct.

Your XS likely has leaky output muting transistors on the affected channels (assignable L, Main R and L). I’ve written about the problem numerous times.

Rather than my repeating the information, I suggest that you do a Google search on…
“leaky muting transistors site:www.motifator.com”
...without the quotation marks.

[ Ignore ]