mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Centrally controlling two keyboards (while combining use of on-board sounds as well as DAW)"

Posted on: February 20, 2018 @ 04:59 AM
tHe ThE
Total Posts:  8
Joined  09-19-2011

Hi,

During my performances, I’ve been using two keyboards, first Motif XF6 and second a simple MIDI keyboard. In order to centrally control the two keyboards, I have figured out two ways of connection:

1) Connect both the keyboards to a laptop via USB. Then use them to trigger different midi/ vst instrument tracks in my DAW (Cubase). Here, I have to send my output from the DAW via an external soundcard (focusrite-scarlett). In this arrangement while I get the benefit of using third party VSTs (for eg omnisphere) I have to bear with latency.

2) While interacting with a fellow-musician, I got to know that he uses option 2 but skips the usage of an external soundcard since he’s using a MOXF. The MOXF apparently has an internal sound card and hence the DAW sends the stereo signals to the MOXF and he can control volume through a separate fader.

From my reading I got to know that this MAY BE possible with the MotifXF by the use of FW16E extension. As we all know, this extension is rare to find and perhaps even more difficult in my country, India.

My question is - is there any other way how I can centrally connect the two keyboards while having the flexibility to use on-board Motif sounds as well as VST instrument sounds through a DAW?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 12:53 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi tHe ThE,

I have to send my output from the DAW via an external soundcard (focusrite-scarlett). In this arrangement while I get the benefit of using third party VSTs (for eg omnisphere) I have to bear with latency.

I am puzzled why this would give you latency.

I don’t own a Scarlett, but they are very popular, well designed and shouldn’t allow you to hear any noticeable latency as long as your computer and DAW are of a good enough specification to run the VSTi you mention. I can’t imagine that your latency is Scarlett related.

Your latency problem is possibly something to do with having two midi keyboards plugged into your computer at the same time (via USB). You haven’t told us what the simple MIDI keyboard is, so there’s nothing I can say about it.  In a two keyboard set up, one is usually the master, and they are connected to each other, or both directly to a MIDI interface, as opposed to both direct to a computer.

Without knowing what exactly is in your complete set up, including how you hear everything, and all cables, it’s hard to make suggestions. 

It would also be handy to know why you have the simple MIDI keyboard and what you use it for, as opposed to the Motif XF.

While interacting with a fellow-musician, I got to know that he uses option 2 but skips the usage of an external soundcard since he’s using a MOXF. The MOXF apparently has an internal sound card and hence the DAW sends the stereo signals to the MOXF and he can control volume through a separate fader.

Yes, the MOXF has a built in audio interface and your friend can hear his virtual instruments through his MOXF via USB.  The DAW level slider is the fader you’ve noticed.  It controls the overall level of whatever USB audio is coming back from your DAW to the MOXF.

From my reading I got to know that this MAY BE possible with the MotifXF by the use of FW16E extension.

It would be possible, if you can find one, and if you have a Firewire connection on your computer.  I don’t see it giving you any significant advantage over the Scarlett for your current needs, other than one less box to carry around.  I also expect that you will still experience latency in just the same way.

My question is - is there any other way how I can centrally connect the two keyboards while having the flexibility to use on-board Motif sounds as well as VST instrument sounds through a DAW?

The Motif XF has audio inputs (A/D inputs) so don’t forget that you can mix other audio devices through those.

[ Ignore ]