mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif 8 plays a layered, perfect fifth"

Posted on: February 15, 2018 @ 02:53 PM
demajo
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-15-2018

I’ve owned a Motif 8 for the last year, great workstation, didn’t have a single problem with it

A few weeks ago, however, I powered it on and quickly realized it was playing layered notes.

Every time I play a note, the keyboard will play it correctly, but it will also play its perfect fifth at the same time, with the same volume (If I play a C, I can clearly hear it, but I also hear a G. If I play a G, I can clearly hear it, but making a harmony with a D, etc). Basically, the keyboard will always play the base note, as well as a perfect fifth

Since I was out of town for a few days and I know my roommate might have used, I thought he had left it in a specific setting, maybe layering and transposing voices. However, I’ve realized that the perfect fifth behaviour happens on every voice on every mode. This includes every single sound, regardless if Voice, Perform or Master modes are enabled. All pianos, keyboards, synths and even percussive settings have this problem.

here’s a strange fact: When listening to the percussive sounds, I was able to deduce that the keyboard isn’t triggering two different keys at the same time, but somehow playing a “duplicate” of the original note, transposed a perfect fifth in pitch.

As an example, when I trigger a cowbell sound, it does not trigger the cymbal sound that corresponds to the key a perfect fifth away from it, it in fact plays the cowbell sound twice, at the same time, with one of them being exactly a perfect fifth sharper than the original cowbell.

I’ve tried initializing patterns from scratch, I have checked every single voice setting I can think of and here is the most shocking part: I’ve tried a factory reset twice. The problem persists

as a last bit of information, the Motif is also behaving strangely when interacting through MIDI. When paired with Logic, for example, it sends the correct MIDI signals its supposed to, so I’m certain the problem isn’t part of the keybed.... After a few minutes of USB MIDI usage though, the keyboard transmits a random bunch of signals for about a second before completely freezing. Not sure if the problem is related

Needless to say, my Motif is unplayable through both audio out and midi out, and it all happened out of nowhere

any tips on what my next steps should be? Its a central piece of my setup and it breaks my heart to hear that fifth

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2018 @ 04:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

This “sounds” like it could be something caused externally to the Motif, via MIDI. The first thing I suggest is to disconnect everything from the Motif other than the power cord and a pair of headphones, and see if the problem persists. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Missing "Vintage Key" sounds, and "Bad Mister"
Next Topic:

Motif 6 chain problems ››