mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Hit or miss with USB driver"

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 10:02 PM
JohnnyP702
Total Posts:  13
Joined  06-17-2014

This may be a Mac only problem but lately I’ve noticed that my MOXF8 is not always acknowledged in my DAW, sequencer, or learning software. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I updated the driver via the following link and would like suggestions for resolving my problem.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_v1_9_10_2_for_mac.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2017 @ 11:52 AM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017
JohnnyP702 - 07 December 2017 10:02 PM

This may be a Mac only problem but lately I’ve noticed that my MOXF8 is not always acknowledged in my DAW, sequencer, or learning software. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I updated the driver via the following link and would like suggestions for resolving my problem.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_v1_9_10_2_for_mac.html

I’ve heard similar problems a lot of times and after reading and discussed a lot it was narrowed down to a defective USB cable. Perhaps this is the case. I heard about one that got a defective cable from the store, after they realized it was a cable problem they gladly replaced it.

I hope you find the answer…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2017 @ 04:43 PM
JohnnyP702
Joined  06-17-2014
RHproducer - 08 December 2017 11:52 AM
JohnnyP702 - 07 December 2017 10:02 PM

I’ve heard similar problems a lot of times and after reading and discussed a lot it was narrowed down to a defective USB cable. Perhaps this is the case. I heard about one that got a defective cable from the store, after they realized it was a cable problem they gladly replaced it.

I hope you find the answer…

Well, that’s definitely a possibility since I replaced the original USB for a longer one. Maybe I need to contact Yamaha support for suggestions on a compatible longer cable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2017 @ 12:52 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi JohnnyP702,

This might not turn out to reveal much, but just out of interest, what version of Mac OS are you running?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2017 @ 07:04 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

May be an idea to also check the firmware version on the MoXF.
Unless I failed to see that mentioned in the post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 04:42 PM
Hideout
Total Posts:  11
Joined  09-20-2017

I’m running Mac OS 10.6.8 and while I’m not having ay trouble on the midi side, the audio side disappears after a restart of the Mac.  I have to reinstall the driver and restart again.

On a side note, it didn’t used to happen before I swapped out the drives for SSDs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 05:07 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You’re probably already aware of this but the driver linked us to in the opening post is only qualified for use back as far as 10.9.5

What model and spec Mac are you running?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 05:33 PM
Hideout
Joined  09-20-2017

2008 8-Core 3Ghz Mac Pro that is not “officially” supported for running the newer OSs.  I’ve seen lots of links showing how to mod them so that they can but I’m nervous about that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 06:02 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Right, so you have a Mac pro 3.1 or 4.1 or something?

Yes. I thought it was very unfair by Apple on people who bought the top machine at the time.  I wouldn’t risk bricking it either.

Your computer can easily run anything new but Apple decided that you can’t, and that’s all it really is.

I’d be very surprised if your problems aren’t related to your MOXF driver - OS - hardware mismatch, but why do you specifically use 10.6.8?  You can surely run anything up to around El Capitan?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 07:30 PM
Hideout
Joined  09-20-2017

That is the latest OS that computer would allow me to use… and it’s extremely stable.
It has never crashed on me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 08:42 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That doesn’t add up.

There’s no way a 2008 computer would only let you go as far as a 2009 operating system.

I have always observed a good 6 maybe 7 years of hassle free life with macs before they start getting disqualified from current software.

Please can you go to ‘About This Mac’ click on ‘System Report’ then click on ‘Hardware’ at the very top of that list.  Might called System profiler on 10.6.8, but is accessed via ‘About this mac’.

This should show you a Hardware Overview.

Can you tell me what your model identifier says? It should be something similar to MacPro 3,1 or 4.1

If you have a 3,1 (Early 2008) you can absolutely run Mac OS up to and including El Capitan (Late 2015) but not Sierra and after.

That’s official too, no mods or hacks, and El Captain is still very much supported.

Then, we can look at why you think your computer won’t allow you to install anything above 10.6.8.

You cannot update from 10.6.8 to El Capitan, but you can reformat and install El Capitan clean easily.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2017 @ 01:20 PM
JohnnyP702
Joined  06-17-2014

Sorry for the late response. I have a Mac Minin running on OS X Sierra. I haven’t upgraded to High Sierra yet because I always like to wait a year after a new OS release to ensure all VTS plug-ins and hardware are compatible. I’m not sure what firmware version I’m on but I do recall updating the firmware as recently as last year.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2017 @ 01:56 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
philwoodmusic - 11 December 2017 08:42 PM

[...] If you have a 3,1 (Early 2008) you can absolutely run Mac OS up to and including El Capitan (Late 2015) but not Sierra and after.

That’s official too, no mods or hacks, and El Captain is still very much supported.[...]

Although I’m not a “Mac guy”, I agree with philwoodmusic. Everything I’ve found indicates that model (as originally configured) can run up to OS 10.11.6 with no tricks required.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2017 @ 03:14 PM
Hideout
Joined  09-20-2017

I have a mountain lion installer… no go.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2017 @ 06:41 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

There are answers to your problems and I may be wrong, but you seem quite happy to continue using 10.6.8.

There are many topics which could be discussed, all having the ability to vastly improve your computing experience including:

1 - Where to get an El Capitan installer.

2 - How to make a USB boot disk and do a clean install.

3 - Making sure that you have no PowerPC apps that you still use (because 10.6.8 had universal support for powerpc and intel apps, and of course, if you DO reformat your drive, you will lose them.

4 - Looking at how to configure your mac so that you can boot between El Capitan and Snow Leopard, if we do find a reason why you absolutely need Snow Leopard.

5 - Looking at good ways to back up or even clone what you currently have.

My problem is that you sound a little bit underwhelmed by the prospect.

I’m happy to help you but I am also very busy, so I really need to see a screenshot of your mac pro model identifier before I can continue.

If you can upload it and attach it to a post here, that would be great.

i’m not comfortable unless I know exactly which model you have.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2017 @ 06:46 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
JohnnyP702 - 12 December 2017 01:20 PM

Sorry for the late response. I have a Mac Minin running on OS X Sierra. I haven’t upgraded to High Sierra yet because I always like to wait a year after a new OS release to ensure all VTS plug-ins and hardware are compatible. I’m not sure what firmware version I’m on but I do recall updating the firmware as recently as last year.

Very wise. Please check the MOXF firmware version as suggested by zpink.

You might also want to look at making your mac into a dual boot mac by partitioning your hard drive.

If you do that, you can keep a music making partition as Sierra (because music apps invariably lag behind operating systems) and then a current partition for everything else.

You take yourself right out of the race for compatibility that way and you can update your music making partition when you feel it will be best for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using the moxF Master Mode
Next Topic:

Disappointed ››