mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Connect to Mac issue"

Posted on: November 16, 2017 @ 10:45 PM
deerwd
Total Posts:  7
Joined  04-18-2005

I’ve searched the internet high and low with no success.  Please help.  I have owned the Motif Classic, XS, and now the XF.  I love them.  I have always just used them in a live setting.  However, I went out and bought a desk, audio interface, and a Mac so I could set up a small home studio. Here’s the problem.

My Mac has Sierra OS 10.12.6.  I have downloaded the Driver version 1.3.2.  When I look at the description it says it is compatible with OS 10.12.  When I click on the download at Yamaha.com it lists all the Mac versions by number and name, except for 10.12 Sierra.

After downloading the driver I went to my hard drive/Library/Audio/Midi Drivers and located the file YAMAHA-USBMIDIDriver.plugin.

I went to the Motif XF and ensured that the I/O was set to USB and stored it.  When I plug my USB cable into the Motif (this is the mostly square looking end) and plug it into my Mac, it is never found.
FYI, I have Thunderbolt 3 connections on my Mac.  I have verified my adapter works with other hardware devices.  PLEASE HELP.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2017 @ 11:58 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
deerwd - 16 November 2017 10:45 PM

[...] My Mac has Sierra OS 10.12.6.  I have downloaded the Driver version 1.3.2.  When I look at the description it says it is compatible with OS 10.12.  When I click on the download at Yamaha.com it lists all the Mac versions by number and name, except for 10.12 Sierra.

Yamaha says, in http://download.yamaha.com/file/57068
that the USB-MIDI Driver for Mac version 1.3.2 is compatible with Sierra OS (10.12).

deerwd -

After downloading the driver I went to my hard drive/Library/Audio/Midi Drivers and located the file YAMAHA-USBMIDIDriver.plugin.

OK, but there’s another file to check for:
/Library/PreferencePanes/    file YAMAHA-USBMIDIPatch.prefPane

Is it there? If so, that would seem to confirm that the driver has been installed.

deerwd -

I went to the Motif XF and ensured that the I/O was set to USB and stored it.  When I plug my USB cable into the Motif (this is the mostly square looking end) and plug it into my Mac, it is never found.
FYI, I have Thunderbolt 3 connections on my Mac.  I have verified my adapter works with other hardware devices.  PLEASE HELP.

After verifying that the two driver files exist on the Mac, the connection should be made with a cable running from the TO HOST port on the XF to a USB port on your computer.

Then…
1) Turn on the XF.
2) Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES on the Mac.
3) Double click on the YAMAHA USB-MIDI icon to open its Control Panel.

What do you find there?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2017 @ 10:39 AM
deerwd
Joined  04-18-2005

Yes, YAMAHA-USBMIDIPatch.prefPane is there.

Connected to host port and to computer USB and turned on XF.

Went to system preferences and double clicked. Shows the following:
There is a box “Old style port name (includes device name)”, it is NOT checked.
Device Name:  YAMAHA MOTIF XF7
There are 2 buttons, “Send All Note ON” and “Send All Note OFF”
At the bottom it says,
YAMAHA USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2
Copyright(C) 2002-2012 YAMAHA Corporation.
All rights reserved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2017 @ 10:48 AM
deerwd
Joined  04-18-2005

If I click the Send All Note ON button I hear a single piano note regardless of which Voice or Performance I am on.  When I go to the Motif XF Master Editor and click on the icon to open a file it says Motif XF is not connected.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2017 @ 12:28 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
deerwd - 17 November 2017 10:39 AM

[...] Went to system preferences and double clicked. Shows the following:
There is a box “Old style port name (includes device name)”, it is NOT checked.
Device Name:  YAMAHA MOTIF XF7
There are 2 buttons, “Send All Note ON” and “Send All Note OFF”
At the bottom it says,
YAMAHA USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2
Copyright(C) 2002-2012 YAMAHA Corporation.
All rights reserved.

That all looks normal. The fact that YAMAHA MOTIF XF7 is shown for Device Name indicates a working USB connection between the XF7 and the computer. The driver is functioning.

deerwd - 17 November 2017 10:48 AM

If I click the Send All Note ON button I hear a single piano note regardless of which Voice or Performance I am on.  When I go to the Motif XF Master Editor and click on the icon to open a file it says Motif XF is not connected.

Exactly which Editor (filename) did you install?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2017 @ 02:24 PM
deerwd
Joined  04-18-2005

I have the John Melas ver 2.5 Motif XF Master Editor.  Is there a Yamaha version that is compatible with Sierra OS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2017 @ 03:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
deerwd - 17 November 2017 02:24 PM

I have the John Melas ver 2.5 Motif XF Master Editor.

Sorry, I can’t help you with setting up a Melas product on a Mac. Perhaps another member could, or contact Melas…

deerwd -

Is there a Yamaha version that is compatible with Sierra OS?

MOTIF XF Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.7 for Mac

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/motif_xf_editor_standalone_vst_mac_en.html

The Yamaha Editor doesn’t edit Masters. However, you should be able to get it to run standalone if you set the ports correctly, and that should be assurance the XF and computer are communicating.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2017 @ 03:30 PM
deerwd
Joined  04-18-2005

Ok, I have MOTIF XF Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.7 for Mac loaded.  Do I have to run a DAW in the background for this to work?  I have Logic Pro X.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2017 @ 06:02 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
deerwd - 17 November 2017 03:30 PM

Ok, I have MOTIF XF Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.7 for Mac loaded.  Do I have to run a DAW in the background for this to work?  I have Logic Pro X.

A DAW is not needed, it can be run stand-alone.

Once you have the file unzipped and the Editor installed, be sure to read the Readme MIDIPort PDF file to set the ports correctly.

[ Ignore ]