mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Polarize on non polarize capacitors?"

Posted on: November 14, 2017 @ 10:23 AM
Maximilian12
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-14-2017

Hello everyone,

I’m going to repair my sound system and want to replace the capacitors. And I would like to use this polarization capacitor (16UF 475V AXIAL) ( https://www.icrfq.com/part/330882-TVA1803_1_E3.html ) I don’t have any idea their AC signal is available or not. Could you please give me a better idea of replacing the polarize capacitors or should I take polypropylene non-polarized?

Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2017 @ 02:11 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  9520
Joined  09-16-2010
Maximilian12 - 14 November 2017 10:23 AM

Hello everyone,

I’m going to repair my sound system and want to replace the capacitors. And I would like to use this polarization capacitor (16UF 475V AXIAL) ( https://www.icrfq.com/part/330882-TVA1803_1_E3.html ) I don’t have any idea their AC signal is available or not. Could you please give me a better idea of replacing the polarize capacitors or should I take polypropylene non-polarized?

Thanks in advance.

This forum is supposed to be about sounds as they relate to Yamaha Motif synthesizers, not repair of some generic sound equipment.

However…
Without some idea of what capacitors you’re replacing, and how they’re used in the circuit, it’s impossible to advise whether the ones you linked to would be an acceptable replacement.

In general, non-polar capacitors should be replaced only with other non-polar types. Substituting a polarized cap for a non-polar one is usually unacceptable.

A non-polar cap can be used to replace either a non-polar or polarized cap, as long as specs are equal to the original type. Besides capacitance and voltage rating, things such as ESR might be important in certain applications.

If you can provide detailed information (make/model of the equipment, schematic link, which caps you want to replace and why, and anything else relevant), it might be possible to provide more specific comments.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2017 @ 09:38 AM
Maximilian12
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-14-2017

Thanks for responding and your advice. I’m replacing polarize capacitors, you can see below I think that it is a polarized cap:

Image Attachments
capacitors.pngcapacitors.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2017 @ 05:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  9520
Joined  09-16-2010
Maximilian12 - 15 November 2017 09:38 AM

Thanks for responding and your advice. I’m replacing polarize capacitors, you can see below I think that it is a polarized cap:

Yes, those are polarized caps, 16µF 40V. Why do you want to use 475V ones to replace them? Caps rated at 40 Volts or slightly higher would be a good choice.

The page you linked to has a link to a PDF:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/42038/tvatom.pdf
Shown are two 50V caps that should be reasonable replacements for 16µF 40V…
15µF 50V   TVA1305
20µF 50V TVA1305.5

You still haven’t mentioned the circuit application or any other details. Based on nothing more than the picture, for most uses I would go with the cap of slightly higher capacitance than the original, the 20µF.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A new intresting sound service....