mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Advancing to next voice"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: November 09, 2017 @ 12:51 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3007
Joined  10-05-2011
EricMonroe - 09 November 2017 12:02 PM

Ok, moving along well now adding voices to the Mix, and enjoying it.

Currently, it’s not sounding the same as the original voice, even with copy parameters set to on (in Modes).

I will endeavor to investigate that soon unless you have any quick suggestions for me ;)

(echo delay times are different for example, and more)

thank you,

Eric

As you are finding, there are many variables to address with regard to how a VOICE sounds, once you decide to insert it into a PART in a PERFORMANCE or MIXING.

This Article may be helpful to you, as it comprehensively addresses the many issues you are confronting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2017 @ 07:58 PM
EricMonroe
Total Posts:  25
Joined  03-18-2016

(ok my post below was posted before I saw your reply, must have been in a 2nd page load that I didn’t see… I will read that article now Thanks)

As I am adding voices to the mix… I am finding limitations.

It appears to me, that there is now only one common effects section per mix?

So let’s say I have a loud multi-echo delay on one voice… and a gnarly chorus on another… deep cavernous reverb on another voice… I can’t have all those in one mix… is that correct?

And for sure, once I have dialed in these effects in voice mode, it doesn’t transfer over to the mix. Is that correct?

I have tried the ‘voice copier’ feature in Melas software as well, and it DOES copy however, only when I do that, the mix features the most recent ‘copy’ so my other effects from other voices in other parts now lose their effects. At least that’s how it is working for me now.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2017 @ 09:16 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  9581
Joined  09-16-2010

This support article might provide additional insight:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/insertion_effects_differ_from_the_system_effects

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2017 @ 01:47 PM
EricMonroe
Total Posts:  25
Joined  03-18-2016

So the dark areas are getting lit.

Let me make sure I understand, so bear with me.

I CAN have a myriad of effects per saved Mix but better if they are within the voice using the insertions A and B. Am I understanding this?

To explain, I had built some of my voices using the effects in the Chorus and Reverb section, and I don’t think its wise when you want to move many voices over to Mix (or performance?) building your voices in that method:

If the effect is critical to the voice, then better to start building my voices using the insertions, so when they end up in a Mix I can move over my exact sound.

If one voice has a deep reverb, another has a strong tremolo, one has repeating echo delay, one with a strong phaser… I can get up to at least 8(?) insertions in my Mix (plenty i hope! haha)

I have to admit I fell into a small state of depression when I was trying to accomplish this…

However I kept reading the support articles you listed in this thread, and the manuals, and I was able to persevere… I hope I have this right yes?

thanks, Eric

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2017 @ 02:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  9581
Joined  09-16-2010

Yes, a maximum of eight Parts can have dual Insert Effects.

Yes, of course, any effect critical to a Voice should be one of the Insert Effects you use. If you run out of Insert Effects (have more than eight Parts in a Mix “needing” them), you’ll have to decide for which Parts the Voice sounds good enough without them, just relying on the System Effects.

One caution I’ll raise is to be judicious when applying reverb and/or chorus as both Insert Effects and as System Effects. The System Effects typically serve to integrate the Parts in a Mix into a single “sound-stage”. If the reverb and chorus characteristics of the Insert and System Effects are significantly different, the cohesion can be lost and it’s possible for the listener to find the sound somewhat disconcerting. I find that closing my eyes while listening helps to determine if there’s a problem in that respect.

In my opinion, playing/creating music should elate, not depress (even slightly), so you might give yourself a bit more time to figure this stuff out. You seem to be well on the way. After several years of owning an XS and XF, I’m still learning, and only rarely get frustrated by my Motifs now.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2