mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Initialize a User Bank"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 05:14 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

Is there a way to initialize an entire USR Bank in one shot, or do you have to do each slot one at a time?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 07:30 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

No, there is not a one-shot initialize per BANK directly.

5pinDIN wrote a utility to accomplish this...at least within a couple of additional steps!

Go to This Thread first for the discussion, and there will be a link to another thread with the actual utility posted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 07:58 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 28 September 2017 07:30 PM

No, there is not a one-shot initialize per BANK directly.

5pinDIN wrote a utility to accomplish this...at least within a couple of additional steps!

Go to This Thread first for the discussion, and there will be a link to another thread with the actual utility posted.

Thanks cmayhle. Unfortunately, directly loading a single bank of 128 Voices to an XS doesn’t work with that file. I’m in the process of creating one that will work, and I’ll post it here shortly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 08:12 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 28 September 2017 05:14 PM

Is there a way to initialize an entire USR Bank in one shot, or do you have to do each slot one at a time?

Download my All User Init.X0A file (zip attached), and load just one bank.
The file is small and loads quickly.

This file initializes all the User Banks - every User Voice, Performance, and Master is initialized, as well as every Song and Pattern - if loaded as Type “All”.

If you’re not familiar with loading just one bank of Voices from an “All” file, see http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/how_to_load_a_bank_of_128_voices

Warning: If you decide to use this file, please be careful! Be sure to back up your own User data first (save an ALL file), because All User Init.X0A will wipe your data from the XS.

File Attachments
All User Init.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 232)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 08:31 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 28 September 2017 07:58 PM

...Unfortunately, directly loading a single bank of 128 Voices to an XS doesn’t work with that file. I’m in the process of creating one that will work, and I’ll post it here shortly.

By the “at least within a couple of additional steps”, I was referring to the process of SAVING an ALL File, wiping the USER data with your utility and SAVING that ALL File, re-LOADING your original ALL File, then selectively LOADING a “wiped” BANK from your “wiped” ALL File...unless I am not understanding something correctly, of course!

Are you saying that an ALL filed SAVED from your utility file execution cannot LOAD in a BANK at a time?

Moot point I guess, since you have jumped on the updated version!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 09:14 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 28 September 2017 08:12 PM

This file initializes all the User Banks - every User Voice, Performance, and Master is initialized, as well as every Song and Pattern - if loaded as Type “All”.

If you’re not familiar with loading just one bank of Voices from an “All” file, see http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/how_to_load_a_bank_of_128_voices

Warning: If you decide to use this file, please be careful! Be sure to back up your own User data first (save an ALL file), because All User Init.X0A will wipe your data from the XS.

Thank you, thank you!!  Its not something I’d use often, but it can be quite useful when creating sounds for another keyboard!  Keeps things a little neater...or at least I think so.

As for back ups...no worries there.  ALL my USR stuff is backed up on a jump drive, also on my PC in a file, AND my PC is backed up...TWICE!  I think I’m good! :-) I’ll grab this file from you tomorrow!  and THANK YOU again!!! You’ve been very helpful.  IMHO, these little things are things that Yamaha should have thought of and incorporated into their editing software.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 09:18 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 28 September 2017 08:12 PM

The XS EDitor will allow you to do this as well.  Normally, I just use “Import” on the editor, and then slide in whatever user bank I want.  I’m assuming I can do that with your initialized ALL file as well, and just load it into my XS EDitor, and then slide over however many initialized banks I want?

BTW, I’m guessing the only way you could create this file was by initializing every single USR slot in both voice and perf mode, as well as all the song, patterns and Master slots, one at a time?  Bless you, you will be rewarded!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 09:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 28 September 2017 08:31 PM

Are you saying that an ALL filed SAVED from your utility file execution cannot LOAD in a BANK at a time?

Moot point I guess, since you have jumped on the updated version!!

Perhaps moot, but I understand why it would seem strange, so I’ll explain…

The purpose of the original file was to initialize all the User banks, and loaded as an “All” file it did that for both the XF and XS. For the XF, using “1bankvoice”, an initialized bank can be directly loaded from that file. However, the XS won’t load a 128 Voice bank unless at least one Voice in a bank is actually stored before the file is saved - otherwise the “Load” choice never appears - and that’s true even if you save an “All” file after loading my earlier file.

The file I posted in this thread was modified by storing the first Voice in each of the User banks. It’s just “Initialized Voice”, but that’s all it takes.

I hope the above clears up any confusion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 09:54 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 28 September 2017 09:14 PM

Thank you, thank you!!  Its not something I’d use often, but it can be quite useful when creating sounds for another keyboard!  Keeps things a little neater...or at least I think so.

As for back ups...no worries there.  ALL my USR stuff is backed up on a jump drive, also on my PC in a file, AND my PC is backed up...TWICE!  I think I’m good! :-) I’ll grab this file from you tomorrow!  and THANK YOU again!!! You’ve been very helpful.  IMHO, these little things are things that Yamaha should have thought of and incorporated into their editing software.

Donald-M - 28 September 2017 09:18 PM

The XS EDitor will allow you to do this as well.  Normally, I just use “Import” on the editor, and then slide in whatever user bank I want.  I’m assuming I can do that with your initialized ALL file as well, and just load it into my XS EDitor, and then slide over however many initialized banks I want?

BTW, I’m guessing the only way you could create this file was by initializing every single USR slot in both voice and perf mode, as well as all the song, patterns and Master slots, one at a time?

You’re welcome.

The file works directly with the XS as I’ve described. I didn’t determine how it would interact with the Yamaha XS Editor. It may or may not behave as you’d like. Please let us know, if you try it.

The file creation didn’t require nearly the effort you might be imagining. I’ve learned certain things about Motif file formats (much from Motifator member cdw, who has not posted here in a long time, and the rest by myself), allowing me to take certain shortcuts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2017 @ 10:34 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 28 September 2017 09:18 PM

...I hope the above clears up any confusion.

Yes, that does clear up the confusion!  Will quirks never cease!?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2017 @ 08:37 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

[...] Normally, I just use “Import” on the editor, and then slide in whatever user bank I want.  I’m assuming I can do that with your initialized ALL file as well, and just load it into my XS EDitor, and then slide over however many initialized banks I want?

I’ve determined that won’t work with my file, since only the first “Initialized Voice” in each User Voice bank is “real”.

What can be done is loading the file on the XS, either in entirety or whichever banks you want initialized, then synchronizing the Editor with the XS (MOTIF XS > PC). The Editor will then reflect the XS banks, including whichever were initialized. At that point you can import other files and move Voices to the initialized locations, etc., as you normally would.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2017 @ 09:52 AM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 29 September 2017 08:37 AM

[...] Normally, I just use “Import” on the editor, and then slide in whatever user bank I want.  I’m assuming I can do that with your initialized ALL file as well, and just load it into my XS EDitor, and then slide over however many initialized banks I want?

I’ve determined that won’t work with my file, since only the first “Initialized Voice” in each User Voice bank is “real”.

What can be done is loading the file on the XS, either in entirety or whichever banks you want initialized, then synchronizing the Editor with the XS (MOTIF XS > PC). The Editor will then reflect the XS banks, including whichever were initialized. At that point you can import other files and move Voices to the initialized locations, etc., as you normally would.

Ah yes, hadn’t thought of the limit of the only the first voice being “real”.  I’ll load your file directly off the jump drive.

I’m guessing that if I were to load all three USR voice banks to initialized state on the Motif, and then connect the editor XS > PC, that you could then save it in the editor as an X0E file, and use that in the future directly from the editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2017 @ 02:49 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 29 September 2017 09:52 AM

Ah yes, hadn’t thought of the limit of the only the first voice being “real”.  I’ll load your file directly off the jump drive.

Or see just below.

Donald-M -

I’m guessing that if I were to load all three USR voice banks to initialized state on the Motif, and then connect the editor XS > PC, that you could then save it in the editor as an X0E file, and use that in the future directly from the editor.

Sorry, but that won’t work. Indeed, only the first Voice in each User bank is “real”. The remaining 127 Voices in each bank don’t actually exist in the file - they are “empty”.

Anyway, I spent a couple of minutes (literally, if you know how  :-) ) and created an XS Editor file that has all of the User Normal Voice bank locations really initialized. My Normal User Init.X0E is attached as a ZIP. It can be directly imported into the Editor, or (although I didn’t try) should be loadable into the XS. If loaded to the XS, the same Warning applies as before.

File Attachments
Normal User Init.zip  (File Size: 45KB - Downloads: 192)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2017 @ 04:10 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 29 September 2017 02:49 PM
Donald-M - 29 September 2017 09:52 AM

Or see just below.

Donald-M -

Sorry, but that won’t work. Indeed, only the first Voice in each User bank is “real”. The remaining 127 Voices in each bank don’t actually exist in the file - they are “empty”.

Anyway, I spent a couple of minutes (literally, if you know how  :-) ) and created an XS Editor file that has all of the User Normal Voice bank locations really initialized. My Normal User Init.X0E is attached as a ZIP. It can be directly imported into the Editor, or (although I didn’t try) should be loadable into the XS. If loaded to the XS, the same Warning applies as before.

You must have been top of your class in Potions and Charms at Hogwarts!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2017 @ 04:18 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 29 September 2017 02:49 PM

I just downloaded it, and unzipped it.  I can see it there in my windows file browser, but when I open the editor and try to import or open it, its not there, even though I have the editor set to look for X0E files.  I only have yours in the folder I’m look at, and it won’t show up for the editor to import or open.  Not sure why that would be!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2017 @ 04:24 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007

Never mind...I forgot I had a duplicate folder.  Its there!

And it works!!  Thanks, mate!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2