mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sostenuto Pedal for MOXF"

Posted on: September 26, 2017 @ 04:33 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

My church is picking up a new MOXF tomorrow.  Thursday, I will be setting some things up on it for Sunday morning, one of which involves putting some organ sounds in the Master mode for easy access for the keyboardist.  She also wants a pedal for sostenuto (Which only sustains whatever notes were being played when the pedal is pressed).  Is there a way to set that up on the MOXF?  I know there’s a sustain, and I think two assignable pedals. 

Can one of those be assigned for sostenuto effect? 

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2017 @ 05:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The MOXF has an assignable FOOT CONTROLLER jack, and two FOOT SWITCH jacks. Besides the SUSTAIN jack, the remaining FOOT SWITCH jack is ASSIGNABLE. That jack can be set to CC#66, Sostenuto.

From UTILITY Mode…
Press [F4] CTL ASN (Controller Assign)
Press [SF2] FT SW (Foot Switch)
Set the Control Number to 66
STORE it to keep the setting
Requires an FC4, FC5, or equivalent foot switch.

See the MOXF Reference Manual, pages 145-146.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2017 @ 02:36 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 26 September 2017 05:44 PM

The MOXF has an assignable FOOT CONTROLLER jack, and two FOOT SWITCH jacks. Besides the SUSTAIN jack, the remaining FOOT SWITCH jack is ASSIGNABLE. That jack can be set to CC#66, Sostenuto.

From UTILITY Mode…
Press [F4] CTL ASN (Controller Assign)
Press [SF2] FT SW (Foot Switch)
Set the Control Number to 66
STORE it to keep the setting
Requires an FC4, FC5, or equivalent foot switch.

See the MOXF Reference Manual, pages 145-146.

Thank you.  That’s what I needed to know.  I looked at an online version of the manual, but couldn’t find anything on how to assign to sostenuto. 

Will the assignment remain if we turn the keyboard off and back on, or do we have to re-set it? Or do we do a Store and Save ALL once we’ve set it?  This will be an ongoing setting I’m sure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2017 @ 03:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 27 September 2017 02:36 PM

Thank you. That’s what I needed to know.

You’re welcome.

Donald-M -

I looked at an online version of the manual, but couldn’t find anything on how to assign to sostenuto.

I’m unaware of any specifically online version of the manual(s). There are three main documents for the MOXF - besides the Owner’s Manual, there’s the Reference Manual and Data List.

MOXF Reference Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478

MOXF6/MOXF8 Data List
http://download.yamaha.com/file/60483

The above are in PDF form, and should be downloaded if you don’t already have them.

CC#66 is standard for sostenuto, but it can also be found on page 146 of the Data List, where the MIDI Implementation Chart is located.

Donald-M -

Will the assignment remain if we turn the keyboard off and back on, or do we have to re-set it? Or do we do a Store and Save ALL once we’ve set it?  This will be an ongoing setting I’m sure.

STORING will keep the setting from one power cycle to the next. You can SAVE an “All” file if you want to have a backup, but that in itself isn’t necessary to retain the setting when the MOXF is powered off. It’s no different than your XS in that respect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2017 @ 03:42 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 27 September 2017 03:29 PM

I’m unaware of any specifically online version of the manual(s). There are three main documents for the MOXF - besides the Owner’s Manual, there’s the Reference Manual and Data List.

MOXF Reference Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478

MOXF6/MOXF8 Data List
http://download.yamaha.com/file/60483

The above are in PDF form, and should be downloaded if you don’t already have them.

Yes, that is where I looked, in that reference manual.  I did a wordsearch off the PDF file for “Sostenuto”, but all that came up was on page 163 under “Channel Mode Messages”, which didn’t really tell me much!

CC#66 is standard for sostenuto, but it can also be found on page 146 of the Data List, where the MIDI Implementation Chart is located.

Yeah...I didn’t think to look at that one! 

STORING will keep the setting from one power cycle to the next. You can SAVE an “All” file if you want to have a backup, but that in itself isn’t necessary to retain the setting when the MOXF is powered off. It’s no different than your XS in that respect.

That’s what I figured, but wanted to be sure.  Thank you so much.  I believe the guy at my church is picking up the keyboard as we speak.  So, I’ll finally get a bit of hands on with it tomorrow evening!  I just want to have some things ready to go immediately!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Moxf, Logicc pro & Midi to audio?
Next Topic:

Boosting Mike input newbie question ››