mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Considering buying the MoXF"

Posted on: May 21, 2017 @ 04:01 PM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

I am a Motif XF6 user and it is a great great instrument but the issue with it is weight, it is heavy and very dis-comfortable to be carrying it here and there on a almost daily basis. So I have been thinking of downgrading to the MoXF which has the same sounds but I have a few questions for those of you who have it and are very knowledgeable with it.

1- Does it have the same issue as the Motif XF in which you have to connect in stereo when playing live otherwise some sounds will not be heard ?

2- I see it only has two outputs, how do you send out a click audio to a drummer if you are playing live with a sequence ?

3- Can you upload MIDI Files and covert them to song mode ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2017 @ 08:49 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

1- Does it have the same issue as the Motif XF in which you have to connect in stereo when playing live otherwise some sounds will not be heard ?

I’m not sure that’s an issue you’ve found with just the XF, but more like the nature of stereo audio itself. The MOXF6 has stereo left and right analog outputs too, so I’d imagine you will find the same issue with it.

2- I see it only has two outputs, how do you send out a click audio to a drummer if you are playing live with a sequence ?

You won’t be able to do that on the MOXF6 because it only has stereo left and right analog outputs.  It does have a MIDI out that you could use to trigger a click on an external midi device for your drummer, so he/she can hear it.

3- Can you upload MIDI Files and covert them to song mode ?

You can import MIDI files from a thumb drive to song mode.

I’m actually doing the opposite to you, but I wish I’d bought an XF or XS when they were still being made.  Now, I’m at the mercy of sketchy used Motif sellers and the possibility of leaky muting transistors.  The few stores who still have XF stock want silly money for them, because they are still very desirable, perhaps due to the Montage not going down too well with many. 

I recently asked about XF stock with a large UK retailer via email, only to receive a reply without the stock info which said “Are you looking to buy?” I obviously resisted the urge to reply “No, I’m looking to steal one” or to use 5pinDIN‘s beautiful suggestion of “Are you looking to exchange an XF for money?” Anyway, ‘Broken Britain’, and I guess you can’t teach stupid, or train it.

I have had an XS6 on loan before and companies have happily hired in various Motifs for me over the years for gigs, but I’ve come to the decision that you can’t really beat owning a Motif, regardless of the weight of it.  I own a MOX6 and a MOXF8 and since the MOX6 is almost all of a MOXF6, I will mention a few things that I hate about this basically great keyboard which will also apply to the MOXF6.

Firstly, the action feels awful to me, it is borderline clattery and too light for me and I’m not that aggressive. Anytime I go back to the FSX or FS on Motifs, it feels wonderful.

Secondly, the wall wart power supply needs to be treated with more care than you’d expect, because it looks like it might break easily or the cord might tear easily.  Like any kind of power cable, it is easy to leave behind at a gig or rehearsal studio, but not as easy to replace as Motif power cords.

I’m keeping my MOX6 because it is a really handy audio interface and I’ve always played it via a Kurzweil PC88.

[ Ignore ]