mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vocoder"

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 06:34 PM
thines68
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-20-2014

I am looking to use the vocoder on a song in Cubase. Which is the correct input to plug my mic into and do I create an audio track? Or is their a better way?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 06:51 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi thines68,

Plug your mic in the Left A/D input.

You don’t have to create an audio track in Cubase.  A MIDI track will suffice, unless you have a specific need to record the audio from your MOX at the moment, but it depends upon on the other contents of your current Cubase project and how far along you are with your song/composition.

It also depends on how you are currently listening to your MOX and where its audio outputs are cabled to.

Better is subjective, really.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 07:53 PM
thines68
Joined  02-20-2014

Thank you. I didn’t realize I could use a midi track. I do most of my vocals with a Scarlett 2i2 and rarely use the MOX8 for anything except my VST’S. If I decide to record the MOX to solo, can I use a midi track instead of audio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 08:32 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You’ll need to use an audio track no matter what in the end, if your aim is to capture the audio of your voice effecting the vocoder.

Just using a MIDI track will only allow you to record and play back the note data for the vocoder part each time, and that means you’ll have to sing each time as well.

Have a think about working like this…

You could work in VOICE Mode on your MOX if you’re just looking to add some vocoded vocals alongside (I’m assuming) tracks you’ve already recorded as audio tracks in your project.  Cable the MOX’s analog audio outputs right into your Scarlett’s inputs and set up a stereo audio track in Cubase for the input(s) you are using on the Scarlett. That will capture the audio as you play and sing.

If you want to make your vocoded vocals really tight and mesh with your existing tracks in the project, and you have a MIDI connection, you can use a midi track alongside your audio track to record the note data for the vocoder and then refine and tinker with it until you’ve got a definitive version.  You can sing over that instead of playing it yourself.

Then all you need to do is worry about the human element which is your voice.

You can then mute or discard the MIDI track when you have an audio recording you are happy with.

I reckon that’s about the simplest way of going about it.

You could also play and record your vocoder part live into the Scarlett without the need for a MIDI track at all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2017 @ 08:52 AM
thines68
Joined  02-20-2014

Thanks. Not sure why I didn’t just run the MOX directly into the Scarlett.  Gonna do it today.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2017 @ 04:37 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That’s what I’d do.  Sounds like a plan.

I think MOX and MOXF owners feel as if they should use the built in USB audio interface because they paid for it as part of the keyboard or because they think it may save them some time. 

Most have found out that it’s not that simple or fast by comparison to using your Focusrite for example.

I’ve used my MOX’s built in audio interface seriously about twice since owning it, but it’s there when I need it and could come in handy.

[ Ignore ]