mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Filter settings in song track not saving"

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 08:00 PM
SoulProfessor
Total Posts:  7
Joined  10-23-2016

I am experimenting with the voice editing capabilities of my MOXF and I’m having the following problem.

1.  I edit the PEG of a synth voice in track 15 to rise, Uptown Funk style
2.  Hit Store All Songs and Patterns
3.  Leave that song and come back
4.  All my PEG edits are GONE!

Help?  Pretty please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 08:33 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi SoulProfessor,

Are you editing the synth voice in VOICE mode first, then storing that to a USER VOICE location and then using that newly created voice on track 15 of your sequence?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 09:02 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
SoulProfessor - 18 April 2017 08:00 PM

I am experimenting with the voice editing capabilities of my MOXF and I’m having the following problem.

1.  I edit the PEG of a synth voice in track 15 to rise, Uptown Funk style
2.  Hit Store All Songs and Patterns
3.  Leave that song and come back
4.  All my PEG edits are GONE!

Help?  Pretty please?

You may be leaving a step out between 1 and 2.

Although you didn’t say, I presume that you’re using Mixing Voice Edit mode ([F5]VCE ED from Mixing Play). If so, you should STORE the Mixing Voice before you leave that mode. Afterward you can STORE Songs/Patterns.

If you’re not trying to create a Mixing Voice, then please provide a few more details of what Voice and where you’re editing the PEG.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 09:22 PM
SoulProfessor
Joined  10-23-2016

I was trying to edit the filter settings for the voice while in Song mode.  I guess you can do this through the editor application, but it doesn’t store the changes in the song.

I took your advice and edited the voice directly, saved it to a user voice, and then loaded into a track from there.  It’s working fine now.  Thanks for the help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 09:45 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
SoulProfessor - 18 April 2017 09:22 PM

I was trying to edit the filter settings for the voice while in Song mode.  I guess you can do this through the editor application, but it doesn’t store the changes in the song.

I suggest that you learn how to use Mixing Voices. Sixteen Mixing Voices can be stored per Song or Pattern, up to a maximum total of 256. They have the advantage of not taking up a User Voice location, and remain with the particular Song or Pattern.

See the MOXF Reference Manual, [F5] VCE ED (Mixing Voice Edit) on page 115, and Mixing Voice Edit on pages 122-123.

You can also use the Yamaha MOXF Editor to edit Voice parameters, and the edits can be stored. The selection is “Store Voice...” under the Edit menu. If you highlight Mixing and select the Part, the edited Voice can be stored as a Mixing Voice. See page 46 of the Editor manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2017 @ 05:43 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
SoulProfessor - 18 April 2017 09:22 PM

I took your advice and edited the voice directly, saved it to a user voice, and then loaded into a track from there.  It’s working fine now.  Thanks for the help!

No worries, but 5pinDIN‘s advice is better than mine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2017 @ 08:27 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
philwoodmusic - 19 April 2017 05:43 AM

No worries, but 5pinDIN‘s advice is better than mine.

You presented an approach that works, and is relatively easy to understand and execute. There’s nothing wrong with that. Mixing Voices aren’t necessarily better - they’re an alternative that can be useful.

Motifs have capabilities that many users apparently never become aware of. Their depth often isn’t explored, likely because the user interface can be unintuitive. Unfortunately, that also seems to be the case with the Yamaha Editors.

The forums here can help users become more acquainted with Motif operation, but it does take some dedication by users to get the most out of their synth. I’m still learning.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2017 @ 08:48 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes, but your way IS actually better, though.

It doesn’t take up a user location and it is relevant to working in song or pattern mode.

(it may also be less bureaucratic)

I’m NOT flexible on this ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2017 @ 02:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
philwoodmusic - 19 April 2017 08:48 AM

Yes, but your way IS actually better, though.

It doesn’t take up a user location and it is relevant to working in song or pattern mode.

(it may also be less bureaucratic)

I’m NOT flexible on this ;-)

Well in that case… who am I to disagree (said the Eurythmics)? ;-)

Another advantage to Mixing Voices is that unlike User Voices, they’re part of the Song/Pattern Mix. If a User Voice used in a Song Part gets somehow changed (edited, overwritten, etc.) the Song will no longer sound as it did originally. A Mixing Voice is unaffected unless intentionally edited, so the Song is less vulnerable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 09:18 PM
SoulProfessor
Joined  10-23-2016
5pinDIN - 18 April 2017 09:45 PM

I suggest that you learn how to use Mixing Voices. Sixteen Mixing Voices can be stored per Song or Pattern, up to a maximum total of 256. They have the advantage of not taking up a User Voice location, and remain with the particular Song or Pattern.

This is exactly what I was trying to do.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 09:36 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
SoulProfessor - 20 April 2017 09:18 PM
5pinDIN - 18 April 2017 09:45 PM

This is exactly what I was trying to do.  Thanks.

You’re welcome. If there’s anything else related to this, just ask.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Ins EF for parts 9-16 in song mode
Next Topic:

External Midi Device and audio input ››