mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi data sent and recognized but no midi data/Notes in Instrument Track"

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 02:41 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Total Posts:  25
Joined  11-21-2012

Hey Guys,

I am running Pro Tools 10, Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 interface, Yamaha Motif XF8,X8 Studio monitors,Mac Book Pro 10.8.5

I am trying to record Instrument tracks on Pro Tools 10……The Outputs show both Audio and Midi levels are getting info and the audio coming out of the monitors is perfect……but when I record……..no midi notes show up and thus no “Music notes” show up in Score Editor…….

I have uninstalls both Pro Tools and Yamaha Version 1.5.0

I recently had to reinstall Mountain Lion 10.8.5 for an unrelated issue

Below is a copy of a previous post on AVID……so its just a reread

Thanks for any help

Jeff

I am running Pro tools 10 through Focusrite Scarlette 2i4,mac book pro 10.8.5..Yamaha Motif xf8……I recently had to reinstall Mountain Lion on my mac…..but the Yamaha Motif xf8 does not come up….now it displays Motif 6-7-8 in Audio/Midi setup…also I am getting output on audio and Instrument tracks… but no notes are displayed on the instrument track or in Score Editor…I am able to record Audio tracks and am also getting a hum out of my studio monitors that was not there before….Do i have to reinstall Pro Tools 10?………..any help would be appreciated…Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 05:13 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi mybenetton2012,

Because you appear to be connecting both the the XF8 and the Focusrite to your MacBook Pro at the same time, it could be that Pro Tools doesn’t really know which one to use as a MIDI interface.  This is assuming you are connecting your XF8 via Firewire or USB for MIDI.

If that is the case, as a test, have you tried connecting your XF8 via 5 pin DIN MIDI cables to the 5 pin DIN MIDI ports on the rear of your Focusrite, and if so, does that resolve your problems with notes not showing up on instrument tracks and in the score editor. Be sure to unplug your XF8 Firewire or USB if you do try this test.

Also, to rule out Pro Tools itself, can you physically draw in notes on your instrument tracks with the mouse, and if so, do they show up in your score editor?

I am unclear which driver you mean by “Yamaha Version 1.5.0” but I would make absolutely sure that it supports Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

I’m subject to the Pro Tools racket myself and have recently updated to a Pro Tools 12 HD Omni rig from Pro Tools HD 10.3.9, so I expect that you’re using Mountain Lion 10.8.5 because you can only go as far as Pro Tools 10.3.9 without the need to pay for a costly software upgrade (and possibly a new mac). I was doing that myself for quite some time.  The jump from PT 10.3.9 to anything above made a DIGI 192 and Magma chassis with 6 cards in it, completely obsolete, so I stuck with it until I couldn’t. Avid also want £1000 a year for updates and support for the new rig.  (thumbs up emoji)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 06:06 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

The Focusrite Scarlette is both Audio/Midi Interface….I have used it for 2 years now with no problem….I am getting Output signal in both audio and midi….but no midi notes show up in instrument track or Score Editor…..I am wondering if i messed up a setting somewhere…in Pro tools….thanks…..This set up has been working well since before I did the OX Reinstall of Monutain Lion….but can’t be sure if that is 100%

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 07:00 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

If the Audio MIdi Set Up Utility shows your devices as being correctly installed and NOT greyed out, the chances are that your problem is something in Pro Tools.

With instrument tracks, you’re always going to get an audio output, because they are for virtual instruments, so it could be that you’re not setting the correct MIDI input for your instrument tracks.  MIDI tracks, on the other hand, are for working with sounds from your Motif.

You may also want to look at the Peripherals page from the Set Up menu:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-set-up-a-midi-controller-in-pro-tools/

Unless you walk me through how you go about recording on instrument tracks and take some screen captures of your session, I can’t really pinpoint problems, and even then, it could be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

You haven’t mentioned how your set up is cabled either, which might be ok for you because you know that it all previously worked for a few years, but it doesn’t really help me in trying to help you.  As a Pro Tools user since 1996, I’d like to think I can diagnose most problems with Pro Tools, and I’d love to be able to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2017 @ 10:24 AM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

I appreciate your help….It was the Track color that was greyed out..when I got no signal while trying to record…..I was on IM last night with Groove 3 for over an hour……One thing that he had me do was to put all my I/O settings back to default paths…we tried Local on off with the Motif….Midi thru on off…….etc……both of us really believe that it is either a setting issue or a configuration issue……so if you want to IM….I am down…..Also one huge issue that I realized last night,was,that When I reinstalled Pro Tools 10……I thought it would put all settings etc back to default…and it did not,thus I again believe that it is something that I did to cause this…..I will be looking to see if there is a way to default all settings like it came out of the box…MIDI IS NOT RECOGNIZED IN MIDI TRACK OR INSTRUMENT TRACK

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 07:51 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
mybenetton2012@aol.com - 14 April 2017 10:24 AM

Also one huge issue that I realized last night,was,that When I reinstalled Pro Tools 10……I thought it would put all settings etc back to default…and it did not

This is easily the most important thing you’ve said so far. 

Yes, Pro Tools writes all kinds of files all over your system and it is very difficult to get rid of everything in order to set Pro Tools to defaults.

I’m not sure if you know, but there is a great freeware tool that EVERYBODY uses to ‘reset’ Pro Tools. It will also allow you to archive your current settings first, which is great!

http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html

Before you get bogged down on boring exchanges with me, looking for the actual problem, download the tool, make sure you get the right version (which may be the latest) learn it (it’s easy) and run it.

It really should be sold with Pro Tools and Pete Gates should be on the Avid payroll.

So, if you are brave, it is simply ”Select All” then ”Trash Selected” and empty your trash. I’d also reboot.

I will not delete Pro Tools itself or any plug ins, but when you next load Pro Tools up, it should be just like a first ever install.

It may also be prudent to use the back up tool on it first.

You can see from the screenshot that there is quite a list of files that are critical to how Pro Tools loads up.

Nobody is ever sorry they ran this little app, it is a must have.

It may also be prudent to do a factory reset on your Motif as well. Be sure to back up first.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 11:38 AM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

Hey Phil…….I ran PETE’S program,still same problem……I also noticed one other thing…..when I set up a Virtual Instrument…I cannot get the Virtual instrument signal to my Yamaha…..the signal output(sound) is what the yamaha sound is,not the Virtual Instrument sound……this to me is part of the same problem……I have been watching Groove 3 Videos to see if I am doing anything wrong……but they don’t go into settings and configurations……so……still working on it……wish I could do an IM or video call with an expert ……The current project I am working on is due Tomorrow…….aint happening now lol……Wish I could talk to Petes Gates about this,maybe he would have an idea….

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 01:20 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

@Philwoods……..Problem SOVLED……..came across an Avid Knowledge Base Signal Routing in Pro Tools article……..Guess what?……..Yamaha DRIVERS DONT WORK WITH PRO TOOLS!!!!!!!……Had to uninstall all of them and then it takes you through step by step with Midi Sync, MTC (Midi Time Code) and MIDI in and out on the Yamaha to MIDI which was not the default setting……Woof!……

Thanks for the help…..Hope this post stays in the archives……I have never heard that Yamaha USB/MIDI drivers don’t work with Pro Tools……isn’t that a Piece of work……..

Peace,

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 02:23 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Really happy you’ve found out, and you can now reset Pro Tools if you need to.

I did ask you about the nature of the driver you were using early on, because you might have been using your Motif as an audio interface (for all I know).

Are you totally sure that the problem hasn’t been resolved by Yamaha more recently and that there isn’t a more recent compatible driver you can use?

Could you link us to the article for future reference?

If I were you I’d run 5 pin DIN Midi cables from your XF to your Focusrite as I suggested in an earlier post.

At least that way you’ll be able to use your XF via MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 04:48 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I can’t be certain, but perhaps the article being referred to is this five-year-old one:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/en397823

I don’t use Pro Tools 10 (or any other version of it), so this may not be accurate, but I seem to remember that other Motif XF users have done so, using the appropriate Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver (or Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver for an FW16E or mLAN16E2).

This thread seems relevant:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/459502/

I, also, would like to know what the initial reference to uninstalling “Yamaha Version 1.5.0” means. Related to a Motif XF, that version number typically refers to the Operating System (firmware). It seems that USB-MIDI Driver Version 1.3.2 for Mac might be the correct one for the computer system being discussed.

Of course, if mybenetton2012@aol.com is satisfied with the way things are currently working, that might be all that matters.

Just to clarify things for others reading this thread, it could be helpful if anyone using Pro Tools 10 with a Motif XF and Yamaha drivers would tell us about it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 08:01 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

Phil, I do run the 5 pin connector from the XF to the Focurite and also USB from the XF to the Focusrite….Here is the URL link for the article that solved the Problem……Read the first paragraph…..regarding MTC,Midi settings….etc…….I was using all of Yamaha’s latest drivers with 1.5.0…….The Focusrite Scarlette is a MIDI/AUDIO Interface…by itself,,,,,so i never had to use avid core or pro tools aggregate as an Interface….http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/en397823…….Yes that is the same article….LOL

i uninstalled V1.3.2 Mac…and all other USB and Midi drivers….Very true on the advice…..If I see anyone with this problem….This will be one of the first things I suggest….I am happy…been using it all day….

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 08:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mybenetton2012@aol.com - 15 April 2017 08:01 PM

I do run the 5 pin connector from the XF to the Focurite and also USB from the XF to the Focusrite[...]

What purpose is the XF to Focusrite USB connection serving, other than bus power?

mybenetton2012@aol.com -

[...]I was using all of Yamaha’s latest drivers with 1.5.0 [...]

Connecting the XF via USB requires only one Yamaha USB-MIDI driver for any particular computer platform. If you installed more than one driver, perhaps there was a conflict.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2017 @ 07:17 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

The Focusrite Scarlette uses both USB and 5 Pin..The 5 Pin goes from the Motif into the Scarlette…The USB goes from the Scarlette into the Mac Book Pro….hope that clears up why….

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2017 @ 07:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mybenetton2012@aol.com - 16 April 2017 07:17 PM

The Focusrite Scarlette uses both USB and 5 Pin..The 5 Pin goes from the Motif into the Scarlette…The USB goes from the Scarlette into the Mac Book Pro….hope that clears up why….

Thanks for correcting that the USB connection is from Mac to Focusrite, not XF to Focusrite as you previously posted.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Loading samples Problem
Next Topic:

80s Soundset 1 and 2 ››