mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Does the Motif Classic has a software that uses the same files?"

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 11:20 AM
Kdose
Total Posts:  21
Joined  08-27-2008

Does the Motif Classic has a software that uses all the same files and extentions (for example .W2P .W3P...)? Im looking for an alternative to run all my voices and patterns without using my Motif synth. As technology evolves, i don’t wanna really use this big monster anymore, however, i created a lot of songs on it that id like to save. I guess, what im saying is i need my Motif but inside my computer!

Please help. Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 12:49 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Should we interpret your post as you might soon be selling your Motif classic?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 01:50 PM
Kdose
Joined  08-27-2008

No, im keeping it. Im just trying to find a faster and convenient way to work. Any suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 03:41 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Kdose - 18 March 2017 01:50 PM

No, im keeping it. Im just trying to find a faster and convenient way to work. Any suggestions?

It’s really unclear what you’re trying to do. If you’re keeping the Motif, what difference does it make if a “big monster” is the sound source?

Perhaps you could give us a better idea of how you would like to work, and why.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 05:39 PM
Kdose
Joined  08-27-2008
5pinDIN - 18 March 2017 03:41 PM

It’s really unclear what you’re trying to do. If you’re keeping the Motif, what difference does it make if a “big monster” is the sound source?

I am indeed keeping it but i dont use it anymore. If you want details, here it is:

Im trying to make the transition from hardware to software when it comes to music productions. I don’t want to have to chase on the internet for the old school disk that the Motif requires to save your data. I don’t wanna have a whole bunch of 1/4 inch cables running down in my studio. Just sampling all my tracks is a long process. I don’t want to be stuck only producing at home cause i cannot bring my big heavy motif everywhere i go. I wanna be able to have the Motif voices bank directly in a software and run it that way and save everything on my computer instead of on a old school disk that could just zap out anytime. Get it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 06:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Kdose - 18 March 2017 05:39 PM

I am indeed keeping it but i dont use it anymore. If you want details, here it is:

Im trying to make the transition from hardware to software when it comes to music productions. I don’t want to have to chase on the internet for the old school disk that the Motif requires to save your data. I don’t wanna have a whole bunch of 1/4 inch cables running down in my studio. Just sampling all my tracks is a long process. I don’t want to be stuck only producing at home cause i cannot bring my big heavy motif everywhere i go. I wanna be able to have the Motif voices bank directly in a software and run it that way and save everything on my computer instead of on a old school disk that could just zap out anytime. Get it?

The possibilities are somewhat limited for a software copy of the Motif, but I was going to offer some suggestions - until I read your last sentence. So sure, got it. Good luck with that attitude.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 06:42 PM
Kdose
Joined  08-27-2008
5pinDIN - 18 March 2017 06:09 PM

The possibilities are somewhat limited for a software copy of the Motif, but I was going to offer some suggestions - until I read your least sentence. So sure, got it. Good luck with that attitude.

Attitude? Excuse me? Did i missed something? Anyway, i don’t know wether you’re trolling or not, nor do i know if you are a representative of Yamaha but i rather NOT recommend that forum to any SERIOUS people who are actually willing to PAY money to STILL use Yamaha products such as myself! Im sure Yamaha would be happy to learn that some of their forums DISCOURAGES and MISLEAD potential customers to get their products(i will also screenshot that little back and forth with you and make sure somebody at Yamaha give me some explanations). Although, i rather spend EXTRA money for good customer service then KISSING the a$$ of some random emotional computer geek! PATHETIC!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 06:58 PM
MapleCarbine
Total Posts:  40
Joined  12-11-2015
Kdose - 18 March 2017 06:42 PM

Attitude? Excuse me? Did i missed something?

Yes:

Your manners.

How to treat others.

How to behave on an internet forum.

How not to be selfish.

Why it isn’t worth pretending to be a serious musician when you feel that 1/4 jack cables are beneath you.

Integrity.

Kindness.

A personality.

Best of all, you missed that this is not Yamaha or an official Yamaha forum.

GOT it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 07:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
5pinDIN - 18 March 2017 06:09 PM

The possibilities are somewhat limited for a software copy of the Motif, but I was going to offer some suggestions - until I read your last sentence. So sure, got it. Good luck with that attitude.

Attitude? Excuse me? Did i missed something? Anyway, i don’t know wether you’re trolling or not, nor do i know if you are a representative of Yamaha but i rather NOT recommend that forum to any SERIOUS people who are actually willing to PAY money to STILL use Yamaha products such as myself! Im sure Yamaha would be happy to learn that some of their forums DISCOURAGES and MISLEAD potential customers to get their products(i will also screenshot that little back and forth with you and make sure somebody at Yamaha give me some explanations). Although, i rather spend EXTRA money for good customer service then KISSING the a$$ of some random emotional computer geek! PATHETIC!

I don’t represent Yamaha, and this isn’t a Yamaha-controlled forum. If you spent any significant time on this forum, you’d know a bit more about it. By all means, think of me as a “random emotional computer geek”.

Actually, I do have one suggestion for you…
Try https://yamahasynth.com/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 07:25 PM
Kdose
Joined  08-27-2008
MapleCarbine - 18 March 2017 06:58 PM

Attitude? Excuse me? Did i missed something?

Yes:

Your manners.

How to treat others.

How to behave on an internet forum.

How not to be selfish.

Why it isn’t worth pretending to be a serious musician when you feel that 1/4 jack cables are beneath you.

Integrity.

Kindness.

A personality.

Best of all, you missed that this is not Yamaha or an official Yamaha forum.

GOT it?

Well thank you for letting me know! Im sure not going to waste my time in here anymore! Giving me lectures about 1/4 inch cables and good manners won’t make my opinion any different, matter fact, if i need any purist to make me feel guilty about moving on into the new technology, i will spend all my savings on paying a REAL EXPERIENCED MUSICIAN to do so! Again: Thank you for making me realize how unofficial and unprofessional this forum is. I really don’t have any patience for this… Good Bye!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2017 @ 02:16 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

wowah, my son dropped band, because he didn’t like carrying the cello around. 

I guesss my question for Kdose is which new technology?  Cubase, Pro tools, logic, and the other computer based sequencers and digital recorders are not new technologies.  Actually I’m not quire sure which came first, sequencer software running on a computer (e.g Amiga, Apple, etc) or sequencers built into keyboards.  Most of this computer based music recording technology is 20+ years old.

I guess IMO using the Motif for Sequencing vs using a computer based sequencer system is not a matter of old vs new.  Even though we sometimes characterize it that way on this forum.  I’m looking at my copy of “Mind Over Midi” right now published in 1987 and I’m looking at (right now to my left) at screenshots of some macintosh sequencing software in that book. 

Its simply not the case that doing music production on a keyboard is somehow old, and doing music production on a home computer is somehow new.  They are different approaches and workflows that both accomplish the same goal just differently.  And both approaches have a lot of miles on them.

While it is true that a general purpose computer tends to have more storage and bigger screens, it is also true that dedicated hardware sequencers whether they are standalone or inside of a keyboard, have much better performance, reliability, dependability, no lag, no computer viruses, and are not easily hacked.  From just the anecdotal perspective dedicated hardware sequencers tend to be easier to use for most musicians that have experience using both dedicated and computer based sequencers.

Is not a question of old vs new, its a question of onboard vs in-the-box (computer) both approaches are easily between 20-30 years old.

The preference between the two is a subjective one.  There are very credible arguments on both sides with different metrics, and it just depends on which you prefer and why.  I prefer dedicated sequencers and my Motif/MOX because for me they keep me in the musical mood, ie., composing, arranging, improvising, creating, etc.  On the other hand I use my computer to write all kinds of software, to execute business processes on my behalf, to block bill collectors from calling my house, etc.  The last thing I want to do with my computer is to bring it into my music.

But for others, they get the charge out of the computer integration, figuring out software features, configuring ports, connecting VST’s, and plugings, the endless possibilities of an open -ended environment that can be theoretically expanded and updated indefinitely, always something new to learn, download, or install.  Never a dull moment for those that dig the computer-based route.

But to characterize computer-based-workflows vs the Motif as the old vs the new to me demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of both.

For instance my Cubase setup is running on a computer using MacOSX which is BSD a Unix based operating system.  My Motif/Mox have dedicated computers in them, and they run a variant of the Unix operating system called Linux.  One computer is dedicated to a single purpose (music generation/production) The other computer is a general purpose computer that is always doing multiple things even when I’m only interested in its music capabilities (Yeah MacOSX is multitasking and has daemons running at all times many of which have nothing to do with your music).  On the other hand when I turn my Motif or Mox on they have been designed just to serve my musical whims.  No cron jobs, background unrelated to music processes, none of the other issues that general purpose computers have to deal with because you don’t know whether the use is going to use the computer for stock trading, or browse e-bay.

So Kdose b4 you abandon this group too hastily, consider this, that the Motif XF8 has a state of the art dedicated sequencer and recording function.  And while a Windows or Mac based DAW may offer some additional options and flexibility its definitely not about new vs old.  And that flexibility and those additional options come at a cost (and soon to be a monthly cost for the musicians that use computer based daws) LOL.

Perhaps if your Motif classic is too heavy maybe you should consider upgrading to the MOXF.  MOXF8 is the 88 key version weights about half of what your Motif classic weights and has more computer integration than you Motif classic.  That way you can solve the “too heavy problem” and avoid all of the potential/typical problems that keyboard players run into when they use computer based sequencing/recording (when they’ve been used to onboard recording).

I’m just sayin, Look b4 you leap The Motif is a musical instrument designed for such.  A general purpose computer running music software is another thing altogether :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2017 @ 01:27 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

I mostly use my Motif classic as a sound source for Cubase.

The way to shift sequences from Motif to cubase is simply to synchronise cubase and motif sequencer using information in the manuals then record the sequences into cubase. Cubase captures all the data on a single channel but there is a command to split the content by channel. You may need to work on how to get your song mix across but that is doable.

Once that is done, if you search this forum for Patchscript files, you will find a script that when installed in cubase will allow you to load sounds in your classic by name (rather than bank/patch number) various other items can be found which would show you how to manipulate the classic to select which voice is using the assignable effect.

You would then be able to play back songs from cubase but which would sound like the sequences prepped on the classic itself.

Hope this helps.

There are many discussions about this in the archives

[ Ignore ]