mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif xf7 FW audio/MIDI issue"

Posted on: March 17, 2017 @ 12:53 PM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014

Hello folks, hope someone can help me.

my computer
mac os x version 10.12.3
FW driver version 1.75
yamaha usb driver version 1.3.2

symptoms:
after changing MIDI to FW :
utility->control->midi to FW
nothing shows up in AUDIO MIDI setup
i am using FW to thunderbolt adapter to connect to my mac.

but if I plugin USB cable to motif and my mac, midi/audio shows up in setup then it disappears after few minutes:

here is what I tried so far:
-reset motif to factory settings
-tried different fw cables
-removed the drivers, rebooted and reinstalled drivers , no luck.

what works:
if I connect via my motu sound card through, it works.  kind of exhausted.
any ideas? please help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2017 @ 03:29 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Did you set also in Utility mode type of IEEE 1394? If you have mLAN16e2 board in XF, than you should set it to mLAN. Otherwise, if you have FW16 board, than you should set this parameter to FW.
Also you didn’t say which DAW you are using. Cubase or something else?

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2017 @ 05:27 PM
selfymart
Joined  03-30-2014

Alex
thanks for your reply.  YES i did that as follows:
utility -> Control -> Interface to FW.
I am using logic but I am not there yet since I cannot see FW interface in audio/midi setup.

thanks again.

nbadesign - 17 March 2017 03:29 PM

Did you set also in Utility mode type of IEEE 1394? If you have mLAN16e2 board in XF, than you should set it to mLAN. Otherwise, if you have FW16 board, than you should set this parameter to FW.
Also you didn’t say which DAW you are using. Cubase or something else?

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2017 @ 06:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Just to resolve some possible misconceptions…

nbadesign - 17 March 2017 03:29 PM

Did you set also in Utility mode type of IEEE 1394?

I presume you’re referring to the IEEE1394 Driver setting. That setting is found in an XS (if it was updated), but not the XF. The mLAN16E2 interface was standard in the XS8, and optional in the XS6/XS7. To use the Yamaha Steinberg FW (YSFW) driver (rather than the mLAN driver), the mLAN16E2 would be updated to firmware version 1.07. The IEEE1394 Driver setting is needed in the XS to select either mLAN (for an mLAN16E2 that wasn’t updated, with the computer running the old mLAN driver), or FW (for an updated mLAN16E2, or an FW16E, with the computer running the YSFW driver).

nbadesign -

If you have mLAN16e2 board in XF, than you should set it to mLAN.

An mLAN16E2 can only be used in an XF if its firmware is updated to version 1.08 (at which point it no longer functions as an mLAN interface), and the YSFW driver is used. There is no “mLAN” setting in an XF.

nbadesign -

Otherwise, if you have FW16 board, than you should set this parameter to FW.

The setting to use FW as MIDI interface on an XF is…
[UTILITY] > [CONTROL] > [MIDI] > MIDI In/Out = FW
Be sure to STORE this setting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 05:30 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

1) Be sure to STORE the [UTILITY] > [CONTROL] > [MIDI] > MIDI In/Out = FW setting.

2) Does the FW port show up under Mac System Information? If not, there’s likely a problem with either the Mac or the Thunderbolt-to-FW adapter.

3) If yes to #2, does the Yamaha Steinberg FW icon show up in Mac System Preferences (Other)? If yes, open it. What is shown when the “General” tab is clicked? If a MOTIF XF7 tab exists, what is shown when it’s clicked?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 07:32 PM
selfymart
Joined  03-30-2014

thanks for your reply 5pinDIN.
my answers are within.

5pinDIN - 18 March 2017 05:30 AM

1) Be sure to STORE the [UTILITY] > [CONTROL] > [MIDI] > MIDI In/Out = FW setting.

yes, Already done.

2) Does the FW port show up under Mac System Information? If not, there’s likely a problem with either the Mac or the Thunderbolt-to-FW adapter.

yes, it does show up. no issues.

3) If yes to #2, does the Yamaha Steinberg FW icon show up in Mac System Preferences (Other)? If yes, open it. What is shown when the “General” tab is clicked? If a MOTIF XF7 tab exists, what is shown when it’s clicked?

it shows the sample rate, word clock and clock source.

The problem is , it stays connected only for short period of time. then it disconnects itself.
when I play on motif, nothing happens. cannot send MIDI out, no control of volume from logic.
unusable.

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2017 @ 07:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
selfymart - 18 March 2017 07:32 PM

it shows the sample rate, word clock and clock source. [...]

OK for the “General” tab, but what is on the WORD CLOCK line, and is there a “MOTIF XF7” tab?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2017 @ 08:10 PM
selfymart
Joined  03-30-2014
5pinDIN - 18 March 2017 07:43 PM
selfymart - 18 March 2017 07:32 PM

it shows the sample rate, word clock and clock source. [...]

OK for the “General” tab, but what is on the WORD CLOCK line, and is there a “MOTIF XF7” tab?

I figured out the issue, my logic was assigning control surfaces automatically every time I connected the FW. so many of same control surfaces was created. so I disabled all of them, everything works like a charm now.
thanks for your support. you guys are great !

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2017 @ 09:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
selfymart - 28 March 2017 08:10 PM

I figured out the issue, my logic was assigning control surfaces automatically every time I connected the FW. so many of same control surfaces was created. so I disabled all of them, everything works like a charm now.
thanks for your support. you guys are great !

Cheers!

Thanks for getting back to us on the resolution of the problem. It might help someone else.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Changing the Insert Effects in Performance Mode?
Next Topic:

Naming an imported MIDI file ››