mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Layered VOICEs in MIXING MODE?"

Posted on: February 14, 2017 @ 07:05 PM
anilsahin
Total Posts:  15
Joined  04-30-2015

Dear Friends,

Is it possible to assign ‘layered VOICES’ to a TRACK in MIXING MODE?
Like piano+strings?

Or alternatively; is it possible to activate two tracks on a mixing mode, so that they can be played simultaneously?

Thanks in advance
Anil Sahin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2017 @ 08:01 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Assign PARTS of your MIXING to the same MIDI channel to play them simultaneously.

Do you know how that is done?

See ReceiveCh (Receive Channel), page 117 MOXF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2017 @ 08:22 PM
anilsahin
Total Posts:  15
Joined  04-30-2015

Thank you very much cmayhle,

I will check the ref. manual definitely.
But, a very quick question first:

You mean a system like:

PART 1 - Piano - Rec. Channel 1
PART 2 - Strings - Rec. Channel 1 (again)

Do I get it right?

Many thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2017 @ 08:48 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Yes.  In a SONG or PATTERN MIXING, the machine can play a single MIDI channel at one time.

So, any PARTS (1-16) that are assigned to the same MIDI channel (1-16) will play simultaneously when that MIDI channel is activated by pressing one of the PART selection buttons (1-16) assigned to that MIDI channel.

For example, if you assign both PARTS 1 and 2 to MIDI channel (1), selecting either PART 1 or PART 2 will make them both sound at the same time (assuming their respective Note Ranges coincide, of course).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2017 @ 06:19 PM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015
cmayhle - 14 February 2017 08:48 PM

So, any PARTS (1-16) that are assigned to the same MIDI channel (1-16) will play simultaneously when that MIDI channel is activated by pressing one of the PART selection buttons (1-16) assigned to that MIDI channel.

Right and exactly this is one of the craziest idiocy in the motif architecture that sometimes made me cry for the so straightforward combi mode that could be found in any Korg workstation.

So assigning a track (1-16) means also a command for the synth engine to select the same midi channel to be enabled for the keyboard. So when you select track 3 and set midi ch 1 for that track and then tune sound parameters (such as voice selection, cutoff or envelope override, effects and anything else) you cannot test it on the fly. You should switch back to track1 to enable midi ch1 and test what you’ve done before. And back to track3 to go on with fine tuning.

I recommend a simple workaround for designing such mixing setups: have a cheap (or expensive is you wish:-) midi keybed, hook up to MOXF via MIDI, setup it for easy midi ch switch (via its presets) and (1) you set a midi ch at the midi controller that is under test/development at the moment; (2) on the MOXF jump into any track, set parameters, assign midi ch, set solo or mute (3) play on the keyboard and listen to the results.

Please inform me, if MOXF has a “local keyboard feeds all tracks/midi channels yes/no” or “local keyboard feeds midi channel of the actual track yes/no” checkbox that would help in this situation. :-)

This is an issue only for the editing. Track (and midi ch at the same time) selection during performance is OK - except, huh, this track selection cannot be assigned to other controller objects (e.g. foot switch). But that’s another story.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2017 @ 08:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jozsihome - 15 February 2017 06:19 PM
cmayhle - 14 February 2017 08:48 PM

Right and exactly this is one of the craziest idiocy in the motif architecture that sometimes made me cry for the so straightforward combi mode that could be found in any Korg workstation.

So assigning a track (1-16) means also a command for the synth engine to select the same midi channel to be enabled for the keyboard. So when you select track 3 and set midi ch 1 for that track and then tune sound parameters (such as voice selection, cutoff or envelope override, effects and anything else) you cannot test it on the fly. You should switch back to track1 to enable midi ch1 and test what you’ve done before. And back to track3 to go on with fine tuning.
[...]

Does the MOXF really function that differently from the XF?

Using your example, from Song or Pattern mode on the XF I’d…
1) Set Part 3 to MIDI Receive Channel 1, so that Parts 1 and 3 are layered.
2) Press [MIXING]. This selects Mixing Play mode.
3) Press [3] to select that Part. The layer could then be played from the keyboard.
4) Press [F6]Vce Edit, then edit the Voice for Part 3.
(The corresponding button on the MOXF would be [F5]VCE ED.)
Play the keyboard as editing proceeds, hearing the layer.
5) Store the edited Voice as a Mixing Voice, if desired.

No switching between Parts would be required.
Can that not be done on the MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2017 @ 06:08 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Hi 5pinDIN, I cannot test at the moment, but I’m quite convinced that the local keyboard sends signals only to the midi channel corresponding to the track/part (!) selected. When you play this is an absolutely comfortable scheme of working but when you edit individual tracks/layers then it is not.
You write: 3) Press [3] to select that Part. The layer could then be played from the keyboard.
I think if part 3 selected then all parts generate sound that are mapped to midi channel 3 and not muted otherwise. If part 3 are set to midi ch 1 formerly then it remains inactive so results of any editing operation cannot be monitored without switching back to part 1 (that is midi ch 1).
I may have missed something, but this is my experience.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2017 @ 10:29 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jozsihome - 16 February 2017 06:08 AM

Hi 5pinDIN, I cannot test at the moment, but I’m quite convinced that the local keyboard sends signals only to the midi channel corresponding to the track/part (!) selected. [...]

On the XF, functionality is different in Song Play versus Mixing Play modes.

Using your example assignments…
In Song Play, pressing [3] selects Track 3, and would indeed result in no sound, since Track 3 is transmitting on Channel 3 (unless the transmit channel has been changed from the default) but you’ve edited Part 3 to receive on Channel 1.

However, in Mixing Play the [1]-[16] buttons select a Part (not a Track). The keyboard transmits on the MIDI channel for the selected Part. In the case of pressing [3], it would transmit on Channel 1. Therefore the layer of Part 1 and Part 3 will play.

I know of certain operational differences between the XF and MOXF, but I’m not aware of the above not applying to the MOXF.

Even if the MOXF functions as you’ve stated, there are two ways you could avoid having to select Track 1 just to hear the layer while editing Part 3…
1) Temporarily assign Part 1 to receive on Channel 3.
2) Temporarily assign Track 3 to transmit on Channel 1. See OUT CH (Output Channel) on page 78 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ EQ on AD instrument inputs?
Next Topic:

Need Opinions - Should I Purchase MOXF8? ››