mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using mo8 as a controller"

Posted on: February 07, 2017 @ 04:42 PM
Abztract
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-01-2016

So I just want to use my mo8 to control my access virus c. I connected the midi cable to the virus midi in and to the mo8 midi out. I turned the local control to off via utility but its not working. I assume I need to do something else but cannot figure out what even with the manual...help?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2017 @ 05:19 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The first thing to verify is that the MO is transmitting on the same MIDI channel that the Virus C is receiving on.

Which mode (Voice, etc.) is the MO in? If Voice or Performance, the Keyboard Transmit Channel can be set in Utility mode. See KBDTransCh on page 209 of the MO6/MO8 Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/7429). Make sure what it’s set to matches the Virus C receive channel. In Song and Pattern modes the MO’s transmit channel is that of the Part you’ve selected.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2017 @ 05:30 PM
Abztract
Joined  02-01-2016
5pinDIN - 07 February 2017 05:19 PM

The first thing to verify is that the MO is transmitting on the same MIDI channel that the Virus C is receiving on.

Which mode (Voice, etc.) is the MO in? If Voice or Performance, the Keyboard Transmit Channel can be set in Utility mode. See KBDTransCh on page 209 of the MO6/MO8 Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/7429). Make sure what it’s set to matches the Virus C receive channel. In Song and Pattern modes the MO’s transmit channel is that of the Part you’ve selected.

I had it in master I believe. What should it be in? I’m also not sure how to check which channel the virus is recieving on…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2017 @ 05:47 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Abztract - 07 February 2017 05:30 PM

I had it in master I believe. What should it be in? I’m also not sure how to check which channel the virus is recieving on…

How a Master is set up will determine the transmit channel in that mode. I’d suggest using the MO Voice mode if all you want to do is control the Virus.

Most synths default to receiving on channel 1, but if that doesn’t work you should read the manual for the Virus.

If you get the MIDI channels matched and it still doesn’t work, try another MIDI cable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2017 @ 06:40 PM
Abztract
Joined  02-01-2016
5pinDIN - 07 February 2017 05:47 PM
Abztract - 07 February 2017 05:30 PM

How a Master is set up will determine the transmit channel in that mode. I’d suggest using the MO Voice mode if all you want to do is control the Virus.

Most synths default to receiving on channel 1, but if that doesn’t work you should read the manual for the Virus.

If you get the MIDI channels matched and it still doesn’t work, try another MIDI cable.

Thanks bro, it worked. It was on some random channel like 9 or something. Now I just need to figure out the best way to connect permanently to use both as a controller for the virus/vst’s within logic pro x and to also be able to use tge mo8’s own sounds? How would you suggest? If it helps, I’m using a focusrite saffire 6 usb as a soundcard, straight into my macbook pro.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2017 @ 08:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Abztract - 07 February 2017 06:40 PM

Thanks bro, it worked. It was on some random channel like 9 or something.

You’re welcome.

Abztract -

Now I just need to figure out the best way to connect permanently to use both as a controller for the virus/vst’s within logic pro x and to also be able to use tge mo8’s own sounds? How would you suggest? If it helps, I’m using a focusrite saffire 6 usb as a soundcard, straight into my macbook pro.

I’m not the right person to help with what you’re asking about, since I don’t use a Mac, Logic Pro X, or the Saffire 6 audio interface. Hopefully someone more familiar with the gear you’re using will post. However, perhaps I can offer some general information…

If you connect the MO to your computer via USB (with the correct driver installed), you should be able to control a DAW and VSTs. With proper USB port routing in the DAW, the MO’s 5-pin DIN connections can still be used with the Virus. That can be done based on the MO’s Thru Port setting. See the Owner’s Manual, Using a USB TO HOST connector on pages 107-108, especially Thru Port Setting , and the ThruPort information on the page 210.

Although not exactly about what you’re doing, the following thread has some related information which you might find helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/450097/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2017 @ 10:42 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Read the section in your MO manual about Remote Mode. This makes the MO into a dedicated control surface for Logic (also works with other DWAs like Cubase, Sonar, Digital Perfromer, Pro Tools).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2017 @ 03:24 PM
Abztract
Joined  02-01-2016
meatballfulton - 08 February 2017 10:42 AM

Read the section in your MO manual about Remote Mode. This makes the MO into a dedicated control surface for Logic (also works with other DWAs like Cubase, Sonar, Digital Perfromer, Pro Tools).

According to the manual you can only control logic 7. I use logic pro x. Do you know if it works with x?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2017 @ 09:53 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

It should work with any newer version of Logic. Try it and find out for yourself...I don’t have Logic but the Remote Mode has worked fine over four versions of Cubase and three versions of Ableton Live for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ performance mode arps
Next Topic:

Simple MIDI question ››