mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF8 to Tascam DP32SD Connection"

Posted on: January 20, 2017 @ 01:14 AM
philbert
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-20-2017

My apologies if this is too basic a question. I want to connect the line output from the MOXF8 (which as I understand it is unbalanced) to the input on the Tascam (balanced XLR/TRS) Do I need some sort of intermediate Direct Box, or a cable converter? My understanding is that connecting unbalanced to balanced causes noise. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2017 @ 06:04 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015
philbert - 20 January 2017 01:14 AM

My apologies if this is too basic a question. I want to connect the line output from the MOXF8 (which as I understand it is unbalanced) to the input on the Tascam (balanced XLR/TRS) Do I need some sort of intermediate Direct Box, or a cable converter? My understanding is that connecting unbalanced to balanced causes noise. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I’m quite sure that you can connect jack output of MOXF to the tascam input. The latter has 8 combo inputs accepting both XLR and TRS. TRS input of the tascam is also balanced so it can be fed via a stereo jack.

Now see figure “Simple unbalanced-to-balanced wiring” at balanced-unbalanced. When using TRS then HI is the tip, LO is the ring on the stereo jack. So when using a simple mono jack here the ring section automatically connected to the shield/sleeve exactly realizing the situation depicted in the figure. So it is OK using a mono TS plug for balanced TRS input. Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2017 @ 11:08 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
philbert - 20 January 2017 01:14 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Differential inputs are good at rejecting common-mode noise, so balanced connections tend to minimize that type of noise. Connecting an unbalanced output to a balanced input doesn’t “cause” noise, but in some cases it may be higher than when connecting balanced-to-balanced.

There are various circuit configurations for balanced inputs. Some are better than others with handling a TS plug in a TRS jack. Offhand I don’t know how well the Tascam DP32SD does that, but I suggest trying TS cables from MOXF to Tascam and see what the result is. Use the shortest cables practical, and route them away from AC power cords.

Keep in mind that even if there’s a noise issue, it might not be related to the unbalanced-to-balanced connection - sometimes ground loops can be the cause. If so, there are often ways to deal with that other than a DI box, and I suggest avoiding a DI unless nothing else will resolve a noise issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2017 @ 08:39 PM
philbert
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-20-2017

Thanks for the help. I guess I was anticipating problems that weren’t there.  :>)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can files for MOX be used on MOXF?
Next Topic:

Need help with getting SMF ››