mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading these voices…"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 11:18 AM
Stashman
Total Posts:  79
Joined  08-24-2014

Cmayhle, on that note, I am going to try them all.
The entire package is reasonable, for as much as you’re getting too.
I’ll download the rest this morning and I will have time today to get a feel for them and post back if any questions!
Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
Stashman - 12 January 2017 01:18 AM

I will be purchasing whichever Program/s that helps me organize all my sounds, so that I can place only the sounds I like in the Motif, or on the Flash. I’m not sure which one that would be?
Waveform Editor, or Total Librarian?

Waveform Editor is used when you want to manipulate your Flash data (adding more sampled based libraries, creating your own sample based voices) or create custom user banks that depend on Flash data (only WE maintains the link between a voice and the samples it uses). If you have lots of sample based libraries like I do (over 1.5 GB at this point) it’s invaluable.

Total Librarian is a huge catalog of all your voices. I have thousands of voices loaded in my copy. It allows auditioning any voice without overwriting your user banks and quickly manipulating your user banks.

Sounds like you don’t have immediate plans to load a lot more into flash, so I would say get TE and add WE later if you start using your flash more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 01:33 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

Excellent! Thanks meatballfulton! Exactly what was missing to understand those two pieces of software.
I do plan on adding more Flash libraries as well as others, but now I see where buying the full-suite can come in handy.

Great great stuff and advice fellas!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 05:20 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

In order to utilize these, my XF and computer (Mac) have to be communicating, correct?
I had just assumed, that I took all the info from the thumb drive and inserted in the computer, and the Melas tools would do their “magic” after me telling it what I wanted to keep/install, etc. And then I would load thumb drive back into XF and then load the same way I’ve been loading my other sounds?
Or, do I need the Motif connected to the computer?

Sorry for my ignorance, I’m neither tech savvy either…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 06:16 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

The Melas tools communicate directly with the machine via your standard USB-MIDI connection.

Do you have that connection set up?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 06:18 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

Which driver Cmayhle and where to find it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 06:23 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Go to This Page, and download the correct USB-MIDI driver for your setup.

Then, from This Document:

Connect via USB
Connect the Motif XF to your computer via USB.

Set the Motif XF to MIDI IN/OUT = USB
• Press [UTILITY]
• Press [F5] CONTROL
• Press [SF2] MIDI
• Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB
• Press [STORE] to write this to your Flash ROM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 07:10 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Stashman - 12 January 2017 05:20 PM

In order to utilize these, my XF and computer (Mac) have to be communicating, correct?
I had just assumed, that I took all the info from the thumb drive and inserted in the computer, and the Melas tools would do their “magic” after me telling it what I wanted to keep/install, etc. And then I would load thumb drive back into XF and then load the same way I’ve been loading my other sounds?
Or, do I need the Motif connected to the computer?

Sorry for my ignorance, I’m neither tech savvy either…

What I had originally suggested was to use the Melas demos in order to become familiar with the contents of the Motif files. Opening an “All” file on the computer with the Total Librarian demo can show which banks might have the Voices you want, which have factory duplicates, which have “Initialized” locations, etc. The Waveform Editor demo can help determine whether there are Waveforms, if they’re for USR, FL1, or FL2, show their names, and allow them to be auditioned, all via the computer. Using the information from the demos, you could decide whether to load an entire library, one Bank, or even individual Voices. The loading choices could be made on the XF, without further need of the Melas software. Purchasing the Melas software does provide some additional features, some of which you may find useful.

There’s nothing wrong with using every feature of the Melas software. However, in my opinion you’d learn more by using the XF directly. Even determining what is in a particular Bank of an “All” file can be done directly on the XF, although it does require some button pressing. I mainly suggested editors as a means of more readily accessing that information.

No matter how you accomplish it, I hope you wind up with your XF loaded with the sounds you want.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 07:52 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

Thank you 5pinDIN. Thats exactly how I understood your last post, in using the Melas tools in order to “see” what is on those Motif files, without loading them… Thank you for being very clear!
At this point in my journey, basics are what I’m needing. And you’re right, I must also learn to do this with my XF, I guess “how” would be my next question. Or where in the manual can I locate that information?

And thank you again! I’m hoping too that I’m able to “cherry pick” the sounds I’d like, and to keep them all together, or actually have MANY different ALL FILES of my choosing, to load whenever the occasion to hear and play something different arises!

Thank you guys, all of you! This is truly a great FORUM with highly qualified and respectful members!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2017 @ 09:33 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Stashman - 12 January 2017 07:52 PM

Thank you 5pinDIN. Thats exactly how I understood your last post, in using the Melas tools in order to “see” what is on those Motif files, without loading them… Thank you for being very clear!

You’re welcome - I hope I wasn’t being overbearingly clear.  :-)

Stashman -

At this point in my journey, basics are what I’m needing. And you’re right, I must also learn to do this with my XF, I guess “how” would be my next question. Or where in the manual can I locate that information?

I suggest that you start by looking over the File types that can be loaded table on page 236 of the XF Reference Manual. That should help you with associating the XF Type setting with the related file extensions and what data can be loaded.

While there are several Types you could load, I think you’d learn a lot about navigating files if you read about how to load a specific Voice, and then practice every step on the XF but the actual loading. Loading a specific Voice or all the Voices of a specific Bank from an “all” or “all voice” file on pages 243-244 of the Reference Manual covers that. If you get that down, you should be able to see which Voices are in each Bank of an “All” (or “All Voice") file.

The File Management section of the Reference Manual runs from page 234 through page 248, covering many more details, but I intentionally chose the more limited sections as a beginning. If anything is unclear, just ask.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3