mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading these voices…"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 04:43 AM
Stashman
Total Posts:  79
Joined  08-24-2014

Hello all.
Recently purchased 80’s Pop/Rock 1 & 2.
This is my FIRST time in loading voices to the XF in a looooong time.
I’ve forgotten everything in regards to what to do. I’m starting from scratch and I do have the XF setup with
some sounds that I already like in it, so I’m guessing I first need to make an all file? So, that I could restore the XF to the same state it’s in at a later time, if wanted?
I’ve also read, in some older posts, that there may be some “trickiness” to loading these Pop/Rock voices and the included arpeggios, or performances? Not sure as to which, as it’s been a while…

Just asking if someone could please give me some direction, so I may not have to fight this over and over with loading, and reloading, etc. as I remember it being a somewhat long and tedious process for me, and I had trouble doing this before which ended in me backing away from it, and becoming a little NUTS from
it all :-)
I’m really looking forward to being able to learn how to load voices, as Ive quite a few files that I’ve never even tried/heard, and to be able to bring the keyboard back to its previous state too, if I so desire…

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 07:05 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Absolutely, initially SAVE an ALL file to USB.  Not just for the ability to restore the entire current setup, but for the ability to re-LOAD specific VOICES or PERFORMANCES (or VOICE/PERFORMANCE BANKS) as you may desire.

These libraries use the native samples in the machine, so the LOAD really only consists of non-audio VOICE, PERFORMANCE, etc. data.

Best advice:

After SAVING the ALL FILE, do not LOAD an ALL file as instructed by the library(s).

LOAD only the specific BANK of VOICES you have purchased from the Library ALL File, to a specifically targeted USER BANK.

Do you recall how to accomplish that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 03:11 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

Thanks cmayhle!
I’m not remembering how to do that.
The last time I did something like this, I spent an entire day making a complete mess of things. It was more of an experiment instead of an accomplishment and everything needed to be fixed with a factory reset of the board and flash at the end of the day. And truly, it was an entire day and I got nowhere… :-(

I have the FULLY LOADED DVD too, and although it made some sense then, and I thought I fully umderstood it. This time it left me more confused… I guess I’m going to have to watch it several more times and see if I can get it to make sense, because I still don’t understand in depth what an “all file” is, or means… I mean, I guess I understand it in theory, but putting it into practice makes NO sense to me! I wanted to be able to fill my Flash with the sounds that I’ve purchased/downloaded (as long as they all fit on the Flash, right?) and be able to change which banks/sounds by inserting the thumb drive, and loading which ever file I want, correct? And all without having to load all the sample data again and again, etc, I beleive that this is the idea, but please correct me if I’m wrong, or leaving something out?
And I’m thinking that- THAT is the importance of the “all file”, but every time I tried doing it the way I believed it worked in practice, I ended up “goofing” everything up. Really, it was entirely frustrating! Also, I am not very well versed in asking the right questions, or even how to get my questions across, not where they’re understood. It’s kept me from moving ahead with this board and all of the sounds that I have for it too, and never even getting to experiment or have fun with them.
I feel as a child, needing his hand held…

Firstly, I need to figure out how to save an “all file.” The right way. And it meaning and intention.
So, I can save everything (hoping that include samples, although I don’t know, nor how to do that)
And then practicing loading that, to see if I can even get that far without mistake and gain a general confidence.

It’s been over 2 yrs since I’ve engaged the Motif, so it’s like starting over from scratch, but I’m having some time now to engage it and hoping to learn it’s basics and gain some confidence. It’s a lot of money for it just to be a playback device!

Thank you for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 04:54 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Take a look at This Thread, and see if it refreshes your memory as far as LOADING goes.

Just to be very clear, you will NOT be LOADING any sample data to your Flash Board with the libraries you just purchased.

They use only the existing native samples already in the machine.

Take a look at This Thread to refresh your memory on SAVING an ALL file to USB drive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 05:03 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

Thanks again cmayhle. I’ll do just that, and I’ll report back, with I’m sure, more questions… 👍

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 05:32 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

I have IAF loaded in flash. Plus a few “tweaks” on the board, velocity curve, etc.
How would I firstly make an “all file” of everything that is in the Motif currently?
I see, with sample, no sample, etc. and this is where I had become tripped up last time.
If I remember correctly, the last time I did this, when it was time for me to reload that “all file”
not everything had loaded? Screen colors, velocity curve, etc was not what I had originally…
I briefly scanned over the info you pointed me too, but I’m just not finding the “foundation” that
I’m needing to understand what I’m doing… I’ve spent so much on this instrument and I just don’t
seem to be making any progress at all. Even with all the videos I have, Fully Loaded, Full Motifattion,
World of Motif, etc.
I can’t seem to crack this, at the moment

I’ve honestly thought about selling The Motif, but didn’t want to give in just yet, as I know that it’s all possible.
It’s just that “I” am not seeming to be able to “get it.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 06:25 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

To SAVE an ALL file:

See page 241 of the XF Reference Manual.

Select ALL as Type.

At the Save fields, Select FL1 and FL2 (not “without sample”)

This will SAVE all of your data (VOICE, PERF, etc), utility settings, and Flash Sample data to the ALL File.  In short, everything.

If you had strange Utility setting at some time previously, after LOADING an ALL File, that is because you inherited someone else’s Utility settings...in a purchased Library, for example.

That is why you do not want to LOAD a purchased Library as an ALL File.  Best to LOAD as specific VOICES, or a specific BANK of VOICES.

See:

Loading a specific Voice or all the
Voices of a specific Bank from an “all”
or “all voice” file
on page 243 of the Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 06:40 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

Again cmayhle, thank you! And for your patience too!

*not-"Without Sample” = “With Sample”??? Correct...?
I suppose I will save “both ways” just to be sure, until clarification…
At this stage, better safe than sorry...been there!

I am now at the keyboard, and have the manual in front of me and at the ready!
Im determined to get this!

Going to be saving the “all file” and proceeding from there…

Thank you for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 08:37 PM
devilhead514
Total Posts:  1
Joined  01-09-2017
Stashman - 09 January 2017 04:43 AM

Hello all.
Recently purchased 80’s Pop/Rock 1 & 2.
This is my FIRST time in loading voices to the XF in a looooong time.
I’ve forgotten everything in regards to what to do. I’m starting from scratch and I do have the XF setup with
some sounds that I already like in it, so I’m guessing I first need to make an all file? So, that I could restore the XF to the same state it’s in at a later time, if wanted?
I’ve also read, in some older posts, that there may be some “trickiness” to loading these Pop/Rock voices and the included arpeggios, or performances? Not sure as to which, as it’s been a while…

Just asking if someone could please give me some direction, so I may not have to fight this over and over with loading, and reloading, etc. as I remember it being a somewhat long and tedious process for me, and I had trouble doing this before which ended in me backing away from it, and becoming a little NUTS from
it all :-)
I’m really looking forward to being able to learn how to load voices, as Ive quite a few files that I’ve never even tried/heard, and to be able to bring the keyboard back to its previous state too, if I so desire…

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!

Hi Stashman,

Where can I purchase 80’s Pop/Rock 1&2;?  Does it have Bon Jovi sounds, Bruno Mars kind of stuff? How much did you pay? Thx!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 08:56 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

devilhead514

I picked them up @ Yamaha Music Soft.
I was also able to obtain 20% off!
I think that sale may end today, if I’m not mistaken...?

I was able to load some of these and they’re great.
Although, I haven’t quite figured the loading part all out…
I’m gonna keep playing with it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 08:59 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
devilhead514 - 09 January 2017 08:37 PM

Where can I purchase 80’s Pop/Rock 1&2;?  Does it have Bon Jovi sounds, Bruno Mars kind of stuff? How much did you pay? Thx!!!

See the following…

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/478532/

http://www.motifator.com/index.php?ACT=39&fid=165&aid=14108_nvfdwEN6KdBTj9Y60BWQ&board_id=1

http://www.motifator.com/index.php?ACT=39&fid=162&aid=13554_FEiAym7H01LMrlzNsV1f&board_id=1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 09:01 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

THX 5pinDIN for posting the links again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 10:12 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014

yeah, I seem to be getting nowhere again…
Once again, I’ve managed to double my Flash memory upon reloading my “all file” and will once again have to go through the steps in Factory reset and then TRYING to reload IAF that was originally there…
I just cant seem to master this part of things… :-(
The “all file” alludes me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 11:07 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

We hadn’t really discussed LOAD yet, I thought we were still on SAVE!

When it comes to LOAD, you want to choose NONE on the LOAD fields next to FL1 and FL2. (Lower right corner of screen).

NONE.  That will keep any sample data in your ALL File from being re-LOADED to your Flash Board(s)!

From This Article (scroll toward the end):

“...Say Yamaha provides you with a couple hundred MB of free data (Inspiration In A Flash)… And you install that data into your FL512M in slot 1. Once you do, you don’t have to resave a file with all that data. You inevitably will start creating your own Songs, Patterns, etc. and you will need to back up your new compositions in an ALL data file. Keep the original “Inspiration In a Flash.X3A” in a safe place, and start creating your own ALL data files. You simply would SAVE an ALL data file with the FL boards set to “without sample”. This would create a much, much smaller ALL data file with just your Voices, your Songs, your Patterns, your SDRAM, your MASTERS, your Performances, and your Utility mode settings - everything but the samples that are now resident (burned) on your FL1 board.

When you want to LOAD your data back you will want to have the LOAD TYPE = ALL with the Load options set as follows:

· USR > USR
· FL1 > None
· FL2 > None

This will return any samples you have done to the Integrated Sampler (ISS) to SDRAM, and it will not duplicate any Waveform data, nor will it duplicate any samples on your FL board. No need, the FLASH board data is non-volatile – and still contains the data you burned to it.

The FLx > NONE option allows you to just load Voice parameters without loading either Waveforms or Sample wave data.
BE CAREFUL, IF YOU USE LOAD “WITHOUT SAMPLE” INSTEAD OF “NONE”, THE XF WILL DUPLICATE ALL THE WAVEFORMS (pointers) AND YOU WILL END UP WITH HUNDREDS OF EXTRA WAVEFORMS.

When you start to create your own customized Waveform and Sample setups on your FLASH Board(s) make sure you make a full backup of your customized Library. That is, SAVE as an ALL data file “with samples”. Keep that as an archive file. And anytime you change your Flash board installed Waveforms and Samples, make sure you create a new archive file....”

Very Important:  Once you have installed Sample Data to your FL1 or FL2, by all means do a back-up All File SAVE.  However, DON’T keep re-LOADING the Sample Data!  That’s why you use NONE on your All File LOADS for the FL1 and FL2 LOAD fields.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 11:24 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

To add just a bit to what cmayhle covered quite well…

See Additional option in file loading operation on page 16 of the XF Supplementary Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/53105). This information isn’t in the XF Reference Manual, since the “None” setting was added after the original OS version.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2017 @ 11:38 PM
Stashman
Joined  08-24-2014
5pinDIN - 09 January 2017 11:24 PM

To add just a bit to what cmayhle covered quite well…

See Additional option in file loading operation on page 16 of the XF Supplementary Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/53105). This information isn’t in the XF Reference Manual, since the “None” setting was added after the original OS version.

THX 5pinDIN.
Going to look that over, and ALL the other info again, while I wait for the Flash to reformat :-(
I must have (somehow) loaded the sample data again.
I just don’t get how I can keep making the same mistake?
Or, what is is.

I’m feeling pretty damn dumb though.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3