mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90/70XS lag in notes being played - help!"

Posted on: December 31, 2016 @ 10:50 AM
wp54
Total Posts:  21
Joined  01-27-2014

I have a problem with lag on my S70XS – just wondering if anyone can help me.

I am using a performance that has 4 voices - it’s a mix of piano, strings and 2 pads

Two of the voices are edited from the original and all the voices apart from piano have restricted key ranges. Not sure if that information is at all relevant though!

The problem is that - sometimes - when I am playing a lot of notes together as a chord, not all the notes sound at once! There is a fraction of a second delay in some notes and it can sound like an ever so slightly broken chord.

I thought this was me not hitting the notes properly…..until my son played the board the other day and said “wow, what’s going on here?”

So – what is going on?
If I disable one of the voices, there is no problem.
Is the processor being overloaded? Surely this cannot be the case, it’s one of the things that Yamaha would have exhaustively tested for. Yet that is exactly what it looks like.

Any tips for what to do or try (short of playing with only 3 voices…)?

I did find this here which looks to be very very similar to my experience

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2408053/Re_Weird_S90XS_problem_Piano_G

Many thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2016 @ 12:31 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  8835
Joined  09-16-2010

It seems you’re describing a polyphony issue.

When polyphony is sufficient for what’s being played, previously struck notes whose envelopes haven’t fully run, along with new notes, will play without consequence.

A held note continues to use polyphony until the note is released. Note holding can be either due to keeping a key depressed, or use of a sustain pedal.

When you run out of polyphony, what occurs is “note stealing” - notes with low priority drop out, and are replaced with ones that were triggered somewhat later. “Note priority” is determined by an algorithm, which can vary from keyboard model to model and with manufacturer.

Polyphony usage can be calculated. Each Element in a Voice that’s active when a key is struck uses one note of polyphony if the Waveform is mono, two if stereo. Count all the Elements that are in play for a Voice, times two if stereo, add that to the count for any Voices that are layered, then multiply that by the number of notes being held, plus one for the next note (or more if a chord). If that number exceeds the rated polyphony, there can be audible results, more obvious the greater the polyphony limit is exceeded.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2017 @ 01:04 AM
wp54
Total Posts:  21
Joined  01-27-2014

Thankyou for replying so quickly.
The max polyphony is stated as 128 notes...but from what you say, if a voice is 8 element and it’s in stereo - such as a piano - then one note is consuming 16 notes worth of polyphony - ie the real world polyphony of that voice is actually only 8 notes ( ie 8 x 16 = 128). Then add the other 3 voices...!
Maybe the polyphony consumption is not quite so drastic as that?

I’m away just now and will have to experiment with different voices when I return - I will post again with my findings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2017 @ 05:16 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  8835
Joined  09-16-2010
wp54 - 01 January 2017 01:04 AM

Thankyou for replying so quickly.

You’re welcome.

wp54 -

The max polyphony is stated as 128 notes...but from what you say, if a voice is 8 element and it’s in stereo - such as a piano - then one note is consuming 16 notes worth of polyphony - ie the real world polyphony of that voice is actually only 8 notes ( ie 8 x 16 = 128). Then add the other 3 voices...!
Maybe the polyphony consumption is not quite so drastic as that?

Indeed, it’s not quite that drastic. It’s rare that all eight Elements of a Voice are active at once, even if they’re “on” - Parameters such as note range, velocity range, and XA Control determine whether a particular Element is actually playing at any one time. (There are some Voices that use all eight Elements simultaneously - certain organ sounds, for example.)

For factory Preset Voices you can get an idea of usage by looking at the “Polyphony/Note” column of the Voice List in the S90XS/S70XS Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/9637). Of course, for edited Voices you might have to make your own determination. Use of the Assignable Function buttons for XA Control might increase or decrease polyphony consumption.

wp54 -

I’m away just now and will have to experiment with different voices when I return - I will post again with my findings!

OK, do let us know what you find.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S70 XS Transpose on start up
Next Topic:

S70XS doesn’t start up ››