mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FW16E with Mac OS Sierra?"

Posted on: December 28, 2016 @ 02:32 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Is anyone successfully using your Yamaha FW16E firewire expansion board with Mac OS Sierra?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2016 @ 03:34 AM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

yamaha compatibility list

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2016 @ 02:42 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Did you get it working?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2016 @ 07:37 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

I haven’t tried yet. ... I have heard conflicting intel on Firewire -> Mac OS. My current music mac is old, of hardware & software. But, my current understanding is that it’s working. I was hoping to hear about others’ 1st-hand experiences.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2016 @ 08:19 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

If your older mac with older software does what you want it to do, there’s no reason to update until you find yourself falling off the back of the apple supported list and / or you find yourself not meeting system requirements for certain apps.

I’m pretty sure that the current line in the sand is about 2009/10.

To maximise working life without interruption, I like to stay at least one OS release behind for music, simply because music software companies invariably (and obviously) end up taking a while to support new operating systems. 

If you have one computer, a good way of staying old and enjoying the shiniest, latest operating system is to partition your hard drive.

Make a partition for non music use, which you’ll always be able to keep right up to date with ease, and then make a music partition, which may be old, but works as it is.

Then you can boot between new and old using the ‘start up disk’ function.

In a year’s time (or more) you can shuffle them around again.

Nobody wants to be the guy who sacrificed their music making capabilities and connectivity for Siri or some boring updates to Pages.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2016 @ 04:14 AM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Good concepts, Phil. ... My MBP has firewire 400 ports. It’s legacy.

I asked the question for various reasons. ... I figure at one time or another, apple’s going to break the ability for Yamaha to keep the FW16E working on some latest OS or hardware. While, I’ve heard conflicting intel, It seems that hasn’t happened yet. In addition to the XF, I’ve got a Digi 003 I enjoy.

So, I like having a sense of the Mac FW400 weather report. I asked the question because I was considering “investing” in another FW400 piece. I decided against it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2016 @ 10:38 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I see, yes, it is a bit of a worry.

Given what Apple have done with the new MBP and USB, in the future, they’ll sell the FW16E connectivity you’ve always had, back to you as a dongle. ;-)

I’d take a guess that Avid might ‘unqualify’ the 003 sooner than later, but drivers for it were updated for Sierra in October, this year, thankfully.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ No sound while pressing keys
Next Topic:

Firewire dropouts and stutters ››