mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Assigning fall off or scoop from brass or strings to a pedal on MOTIF XF6"

Posted on: December 15, 2016 @ 11:30 PM
ajcatman
Total Posts:  16
Joined  02-06-2014

So I was wanting to use a sound like the horns with the fall off or scoop or the strings with the fall off and instead of triggering that sound with one of the function assign keys I wanted to be able to hold a pedal down (latch mode) and have the fall off or scoop sound play as both my hands are pretty busy. I have looked through but cant seem to figure out how to assign that part of the voice sound to a pedal.. Any idea ? thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2016 @ 01:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Assignable Function 1 (AF1) button sends CC086
Assignable Function 2 (AF2) button sends CC087

If another controller is assigned to one of those CC numbers, it will do what the button does.

See Controller Settings - [SF3] Control on page 230 of the XF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48531).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2016 @ 11:34 AM
ajcatman
Joined  02-06-2014

thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2017 @ 01:47 PM
ajcatman
Joined  02-06-2014

Just had the chance to give your suggestion a go, and found that it only worked on the assignable foot switch and not the foot controller. I tried the foot controller with an expression pedal, sustain pedal and Boss FS5U pedal. nothing worked.. I also found that AF1 was working with CC03. Is there only specific pedals that work in the foot controller inputs?

was hoping to use them both for each AF (FC1 and 2), as I already use the footswotch to turn my arpeggios on and off

thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2017 @ 04:00 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ajcatman - 16 January 2017 01:47 PM

Just had the chance to give your suggestion a go, and found that it only worked on the assignable foot switch and not the foot controller. I tried the foot controller with an expression pedal, sustain pedal and Boss FS5U pedal. nothing worked.. I also found that AF1 was working with CC03. Is there only specific pedals that work in the foot controller inputs? [...]

If Foot Controller 1 and/or 2 are set to Control No. 86 or 87 in Utility mode, any value from 0~63 should turn AF1/AF2 off, and values from 64~127 should turn them on. Heel-to-toe operation with proper pedals should work.

So…
Are the Controller Assignments for the Foot Controllers correct? If so, are the pedals you’re using with the Foot Controller jacks continuous controllers like the Yamaha FC7, having the correct potentiometer resistance and TRS plug? Switches with TS plugs, for example, won’t work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 03:35 AM
ajcatman
Joined  02-06-2014

ah yes I see it works with TRS, and I see the assignable number had been changed to 03 so I put it to 86 for the AF1 button and that seemed to solve that problem.. The only thing left now is one small thing. I would prefer to use a latch pedal so I could hold it down for those moments when I need brass fall off.. it is possible to use something like a boss FS U5 to make this happen in the foot control inputs?.. rather than pushing my foot backwards and forwards?.. otherwise I guess that’s my best option.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 10:46 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ajcatman - 17 January 2017 03:35 AM

[...] I would prefer to use a latch pedal so I could hold it down for those moments when I need brass fall off.. it is possible to use something like a boss FS U5 to make this happen in the foot control inputs?.. rather than pushing my foot backwards and forwards?.. otherwise I guess that’s my best option.

An SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) latching (push-to-make, push-to-break) switch, wired to a TRS plug so that the Ring will connect either to Tip or to Sleeve, would do what you asked for. Since I’ve never had a need for that, I don’t know what’s commercially available or if it would have to be custom made.

If a non-latching switch was used, AF “on” would occur with the switch depressed, AF “off” with the switch released, assuming the switch “polarity” was correct.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 03:34 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You could probably start with one of these switches, and modify with a TRS connector per instruction from 5pinDIN:

HOSA

LIVEWIRE

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 05:23 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Just to be sure there’s no misunderstanding, below is how the switch I previously described would be wired.

If anyone doesn’t understand the diagram, please don’t try to make or modify a footswitch - find someone who has sufficient technical knowledge.

Image Attachments
Motif Cont Sw.gif
  [ Ignore ]