mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Velocity Activated Effects aren’t working out-of-the-box?"

Posted on: December 14, 2016 @ 04:16 PM
AlwaysSunny
Total Posts:  21
Joined  12-14-2016

Hi folks,

I just got my moxf8 last night and have been playing for a few hours.

Many voices seem to indicate that they have effects which are triggered by velocity, such as…

D06 Nylon Slide Vel
D07 Nylon Harmonics Vel

However, I cannot engage these effects, regardless of how I strike the keys.  Anyone know what might be going on?

For bonus points, how can I edit / add / remove velocity-triggered effects to voices?

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but I’m missing it none the less.

Thank you for any support,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2016 @ 04:56 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

For those interested, the two Voices being discussed are in the PRE2 Bank.

Both of those Voices have Element 2 Velocity Limit set to 121-127. That requires hitting the keys fairly hard to trigger the slide and harmonic sounds.

One thing you could try is changing the Utility Mode Velocity Curve setting to soft. That will affect all the Voices played. See page 141 of the MOXF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478). STORE the change if you want to keep it.

Also, the lower limit of the Velocity Limit for Element 2 could be reduced in each of the Voices. Normal Voice Edit begins on page 30 of the Reference Manual, Element Edit begins on page 38, with Velocity Limit on page 39 under [SF3]LIMIT. Edited Voices can be stored to User locations, if desired.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2016 @ 05:20 PM
AlwaysSunny
Total Posts:  21
Joined  12-14-2016

Guru to the rescue!
Very much obliged for the exceptional reply. 
Page numbers and all!

I’m discovering this pdf manual for the first time:
I thought the paper manual was the whole thing. 
Happy to be mistaken - thanks for pointing out this resource!

Even with the keyboard’s velocity curve set to soft, I feel that I have to be downright violent to approach the 127 mark. 

I am frankly shocked by how aggressively I have to strike the key to make this happen.  I would have never, ever struck a key so hard on purpose.

But, this is my first weighted keyboard, so I’m in new territory here.  Is this degree of force considered appropriate and safe for the instrument? 

Best,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2016 @ 07:11 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
AlwaysSunny - 14 December 2016 05:20 PM

Guru to the rescue!
Very much obliged for the exceptional reply. 
Page numbers and all!

You’re quite welcome.

AlwaysSunny -

I’m discovering this pdf manual for the first time:
I thought the paper manual was the whole thing. 
Happy to be mistaken - thanks for pointing out this resource!

Yes, the Reference Manual provides a lot of details not covered by the Owner’s Manual. There are many other “goodies” for the MOXF available here:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?category_id1=16277&product_id=1816956

AlwaysSunny -

Even with the keyboard’s velocity curve set to soft, I feel that I have to be downright violent to approach the 127 mark. 

I am frankly shocked by how aggressively I have to strike the key to make this happen.  I would have never, ever struck a key so hard on purpose.

But, this is my first weighted keyboard, so I’m in new territory here.  Is this degree of force considered appropriate and safe for the instrument?

People have different playing styles, including key striking force. The keyboard is designed to withstand being struck so that 127 velocity level can be obtained. Of course, if you’re uncomfortable (for whatever reason) playing at that force, various Velocity Sensitivity settings can be edited as well as the Velocity Limits.

Another possible approach is to use a MIDI Event Processor to scale key velocity.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Upgrading from MO6 to MOXF6
Next Topic:

Testing for half-damper pedal? ››