mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Distorted Recordings From (built-in) Audio Recorder"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: December 21, 2016 @ 03:25 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016
philwoodmusic - 20 December 2016 08:11 AM
Mighty Motif Max - 20 December 2016 01:53 AM

The problem is definitely a iTunes problem or computer issue of some sort. I imported the recording from this thread: http://motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478431

It has the same distortion as everything else that I record. I highly doubt that it was recorded badly.

Now what?

Yes, It was recorded well enough with no distortion on it.

Please can you upload an example of an audio file of yours that you can guarantee has the distortion you are experiencing on it.

Please can you give us a detailed description of all cabling and equipment.

Please can you do a step by step reconstruction of how you get from no audio at all to distorted audio.

It is virtually impossible to help you with anything less, but we’ll do our best.

Cheers!

OK. The attached file has been burned onto a cd, with the same result (distorted).

Cabling and equipment - Computer -
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) with 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5. Running OS Sierra.

Disc Burner - Apple Superdrive

Audio Processing Used: none

Record method: For the attached file, internal audio recorder, Motif XF8, to a Lexar Jumpdrive 128GB; otherwise two 1/4” Road Hog 25’ audio cables, connected to a Resident Audio T4 Thunderbolt Audio Interface, into GarageBand (newest version), exported as .m4a to iTunes. I sometimes use a Shure SM57 microphone for acoustic instruments and vocals, normally routed through the XF8’s A/D input (L-Mono only), with reverb at approx. 12.

Steps from no audio to distorted:

I import the .wav from my USB drive to iTunes. I play it back and it sounds distorted. I then burned a cd with it. I inserted the cd into a Pyle Home PTCDS1U Classical Turntable with AM/FM Radio CD/Cassette and USB Recording

I played it back - it sounded very fuzzy and also had the distorted high peaks as on my computer. I tried it in a Bose system as well, to the same result.

Is this what you need?

For this file I imported it into Cubase AI8 and set the region indicators to cut it in half, to keep the file size down. I exported it as an audio mixdown, as a .wav file, and at 32-bit (float) rate, as automatically set.

-Max

File Attachments
"Shoulders" sample.wav.zip  (File Size: 15827KB - Downloads: 92)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2016 @ 08:21 AM
music2345
Total Posts:  45
Joined  05-18-2016

From a pure neophyte’s hearing, it does sound rather muddy and lacking in treble, with too much base. IMHO, of course.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2016 @ 10:04 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 21 December 2016 03:25 AM

[...] Record method: For the attached file, internal audio recorder, Motif XF8, to a Lexar Jumpdrive 128GB; [...]

I haven’t listened to your posted “Shoulders” recording, although I might do so later. I’d like to take a somewhat different approach to investigating this, if you don’t mind.

Does “Shoulders” sound OK to you when played on the XF8? If “yes”, please download and install Audacity (http://www.audacityteam.org/) on your computer. Play the recording made on the USB drive by opening it in Audacity, not iTunes. Let us know how that sounds to you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2016 @ 04:45 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
5pinDIN - 21 December 2016 10:04 AM
Mighty Motif Max - 21 December 2016 03:25 AM

[...] Record method: For the attached file, internal audio recorder, Motif XF8, to a Lexar Jumpdrive 128GB; [...]

I haven’t listened to your posted “Shoulders” recording, although I might do so later. I’d like to take a somewhat different approach to investigating this, if you don’t mind.

Does “Shoulders” sound OK to you when played on the XF8? If “yes”, please download and install Audacity (http://www.audacityteam.org/) on your computer. Play the recording made on the USB drive by opening it in Audacity, not iTunes. Let us know how that sounds to you.

Yes.

I have Audacity. I opened the original file from my usb with it, but it sounds the same.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2016 @ 04:46 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
music2345 - 21 December 2016 08:21 AM

From a pure neophyte’s hearing, it does sound rather muddy and lacking in treble, with too much base. IMHO, of course.

I completely agree. I do not know why this is, since I am recording directly to my usb from the XF8, using the Full Concert Grand voice. It should be crisp and clear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2016 @ 07:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’ve had a chance to download and listen to “Shoulders”. The recording has the same characteristics as the one I commented on previously - it sounds like the key velocity was very low, and the same for the record level. In fact, the intro part has a peak level of around only -30 dBFS.

Can you post an “All Song” file with the “Shoulders” sequence as you recorded it? (If possible, don’t include any other Songs.) That would allow loading the Song and creation of a WAV on USB drive with my own XF. Then both the sequenced MIDI events and the WAV could be analyzed to determine what’s happening.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2016 @ 10:21 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Thanks for the info Max.

I will third what’s been said about ‘Shoulders’.

When using a Mac in conjunction with an audio interface, we can either route all our audio through it, which means the audio from any music making apps like DAWs and editors will go through it along with all other system audio, including itunes and quicktime player OR we can just use our music making apps with the interface on an individual basis.

Which way is your mac set up?

When you play iTunes for example, does your audio come out of the internal speakers on your iMac, or does it come out of the audio interface?  Either way is completely possible.

Finally, how do you listen to any audio that does come out of your audio interface?

For example, my audio interface goes to some powered monitors, so I can hear it.

From your info, I wasn’t clear how you hear your interface?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2016 @ 01:38 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
5pinDIN - 21 December 2016 07:56 PM

I’ve had a chance to download and listen to “Shoulders”. The recording has the same characteristics as the one I commented on previously - it sounds like the key velocity was very low, and the same for the record level. In fact, the intro part has a peak level of around only -30 dBFS.

Can you post an “All Song” file with the “Shoulders” sequence as you recorded it? (If possible, don’t include any other Songs.) That would allow loading the Song and creation of a WAV on USB drive with my own XF. Then both the sequenced MIDI events and the WAV could be analyzed to determine what’s happening.

I did not sequence it at all. I played it live.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2016 @ 01:41 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
philwoodmusic - 21 December 2016 10:21 PM

Thanks for the info Max.

I will third what’s been said about ‘Shoulders’.

When using a Mac in conjunction with an audio interface, we can either route all our audio through it, which means the audio from any music making apps like DAWs and editors will go through it along with all other system audio, including itunes and quicktime player OR we can just use our music making apps with the interface on an individual basis.

Which way is your mac set up?

When you play iTunes for example, does your audio come out of the internal speakers on your iMac, or does it come out of the audio interface?  Either way is completely possible.

Finally, how do you listen to any audio that does come out of your audio interface?

For example, my audio interface goes to some powered monitors, so I can hear it.

From your info, I wasn’t clear how you hear your interface?

For using iTunes, I use the internal speakers. I only use the audio interface for recording.

I monitor the recording process through headphones, as otherwise the computer says that there is feedback.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2016 @ 10:15 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 22 December 2016 01:38 AM

I did not sequence it at all. I played it live.

If you’d like an accurate evaluation of the problem, play it again, record the sequence, and post it.

Without that, here are some suggestions…
1) Set the Velocity Curve to “soft” in Utility Mode, and STORE it.
2) Turn the volume significantly down on whatever sound system you’re listening to while playing. When you play pianississimo (ppp), you should barely be able to hear the sound. Otherwise, you’ll get a false sense of the levels your playing is generating.
3) Make sure that the Song Mixing you’re using while recording is truly blank. To be certain, apply the Clear Song Job. Otherwise, you could be inheriting some strange EQ or other settings.
4) Pay attention to the Level Meters. They should be peaking to at least the middle of their range for good results, and fortissimo playing should cause them to approach the top. If not, either play harder or increase the Volume of the Part (which defaults to 100 level, but can be set as high as 127), or both.
5) Even after doing your best to get sufficient key velocity and record levels, you may still need to normalize so that levels are good for CD burning.

Mighty Motif Max - 22 December 2016 01:41 AM

[...] I monitor the recording process through headphones, as otherwise the computer says that there is feedback.

The only way you would get acoustic feedback is if there’s a live mic. If you’re recording piano only, why is that the case?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Accessories for the montage 6
Next Topic:

opening Performance on power up with Motif XF ››