mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Leslie acceleration"

Posted on: November 28, 2016 @ 05:56 PM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Hi,
I had a beloved Korg M50 formerly and for any Hammond organ voices I intensively used horn/rotor acceleration parameters to make the change between slow and fast status much faster than it would have been feasible with the Leslie cabinet (and in this respect I don’t care of the physical capabilites of the original equipment).
In the MOTIF/MOX/MOXF architecture I cannot find any similar parameter. Now I perceive (and I have perceived since I changed to Yamaha from Korg) this as a really painful limitation that I cannot resolve with settings available.
Any description of experiences of yours, any tips and hits would be great for me.
Thanks
Jozsihome

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2016 @ 06:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See [SF2] INS A, [SF3] INS B on page 36 of the MOXF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478).

See [3] ROTARY SPEAKER on page 101 of the MOXF Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60483).
Note Parameter 5 Slow-Fast Time of Rotor
and Parameter 6 Slow-Fast Time of Horn.

See Definitions of those Parameters on page 65 of the Synthesizer Parameter Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60487).

Hopefully the range of the Parameters will meet your needs.

EDIT: Also see http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/the_rotary_speaker_effect

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 11:09 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Wow! I just assumed this wasn’t there. The Motif family is deep- and you know it, 5pin. Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 11:56 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 29 November 2016 11:09 AM

Wow! I just assumed this wasn’t there. The Motif family is deep- and you know it, 5pin.

While I don’t tend to defend the Motif user interface - it can certainly be difficult to navigate in certain respects - there are indeed a lot of goodies buried beneath the surface.

My attitude about the Motifs is that I expect to be able to complete a task with them, and I’ll concede only if lots of manual diving and other effort proves fruitless.

dsetto -

Thank you!

You’re welcome!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 02:32 PM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Hi 5pinDIN,
Thanks for the info and references. I was a lamer in this regard, simply haven’t understand the abbreviation in the display and missed the RTFM rule :-)
(Even if “S-FTmRotor” itself is not referred in any pdf in this form.)
Thanks again
Jozsihome

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 03:00 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jozsihome - 29 November 2016 02:32 PM

Hi 5pinDIN,
Thanks for the info and references. I was a lamer in this regard, simply haven’t understand the abbreviation in the display and missed the RTFM rule :-)
(Even if “S-FTmRotor” itself is not referred in any pdf in this form.)
Thanks again
Jozsihome

You’re welcome.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. As I said, I don’t tend to defend the user interface. Some of the abbreviations are rather cryptic, and the documentation sometimes doesn’t improve the situation. I have somewhat of an advantage, since the displays on the two Motifs I have (XS and XF) are larger than those of the MOXF and similar models, so there’s less abbreviation of parameter names.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 03:57 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014
5pinDIN - 29 November 2016 11:56 AM

… and I’ll concede only if lots of manual diving and other effort proves fruitless. …

Raises the rhetorical question, Where do the Motifator Gurus go when a manual search is fruitless?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 04:54 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 29 November 2016 03:57 PM
5pinDIN - 29 November 2016 11:56 AM

… and I’ll concede only if lots of manual diving and other effort proves fruitless. …

Raises the rhetorical question, Where do the Motifator Gurus go when a manual search is fruitless?

Even though the question was rhetorical…

Sometimes I just turn on the XS or XF, and start exploring menus/functions I think might lead to something useful/relevant. Occasionally that yields something the manuals mostly ignored.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2016 @ 01:57 AM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

That’s how I explored the “synthesis” aspects.
Have you found that the manuals don’t cover everything?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2016 @ 10:31 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 30 November 2016 01:57 AM

That’s how I explored the “synthesis” aspects.

Besides sample-playback keyboards, I have analog and FM synths. I’ve found that learning what they can do requires a reasonable amount of time reading their manuals, and a lot more time experimenting.

dsetto -

I haven’t found anything yet that the manuals completely ignored (other than some SysEx messages not found in the Data Lists). Unfortunately, there are areas where the coverage is insufficiently detailed (in my opinion, of course).

My biggest complaint is with models that have a separate Owner’s and Reference manual - the former is often too basic, omitting important details, while in the latter it can be difficult to locate the relevant information. Although it would have taken some effort by Yamaha, I think the Owner’s Manual should point to related pages in the Reference Manual by number, not just “For information about [some topic], refer to the Reference Manual”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2016 @ 02:47 PM
B.Minor
Total Posts:  126
Joined  10-22-2010

I think I found something special about two years ago which was never explained in any Yamaha manuals, tutorials or videos. I was even told by Bad Mister that what I was trying to accomplish would be impossible, as it was never designed to be working on the Motif series. However, by using a simple trick and “abusing” the internal resources of the FOOT SWITCH (FS) for my purposes, I was able to use my FC3 half damper pedal as a “physical controller source for voice elements” - without losing its parallel role as an ordinary SUSTAIN (SUS) controller. That enabled me to fade in/out my own string resonance sounds “seamlessly” while simultaneously pressing the SUSTAIN pedal. I don’t think that the Guys at Yamaha were ever aware about the power of such an “entanglement” between SUSTAIN and FOOT SWITCH in such a way that the FS resource can finally take over the full MIDI value range from 0 to 127 which can be subsequently used to control any available element parameter “live” instead of representing a simple switch only (value 0 or 127).

At least I got that “feature” working on my MOXF (and I still have this enabled by default in my MOXF UTILITY settings as well as in related element parameters), but I never got any confirmation from other usere if this would also would work on the Motif XF. Maybe someone can try and give me feedback ;-)

If you like, you can read about that little trick here.

[ Ignore ]