mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "noise MotifXS & Cubase connection"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 25, 2016 @ 12:36 PM
vitamusic
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-25-2016

perhaps somebody had this problem and know the solution.

when using motifxs only, no noise in monitors
when connecting it to computer using FW cable (mlan16e) there are a lot of different noises in monitors

where is the problem ? and how to solve ?

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2016 @ 12:50 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

With the mLAN16E2 connected via FireWire cable to your computer…

Disconnect the L/MONO and R outputs (and the ASSIGNABLE OUTPUTs, if you’re using them) from the XS. Connect headphones to the PHONES jack on the XS.

Do you hear the noise on the headphones then?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2016 @ 07:23 PM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016
5pinDIN - 25 November 2016 12:50 PM

With the mLAN16E2 connected via FireWire cable to your computer…

Disconnect the L/MONO and R outputs (and the ASSIGNABLE OUTPUTs, if you’re using them) from the XS. Connect headphones to the PHONES jack on the XS.

Do you hear the noise on the headphones then?

no with only headphones all is ok.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2016 @ 07:44 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vitamusic - 25 November 2016 07:23 PM

OK. Reconnect cables to L/MONO and R, but keep monitors turned off. Listen again on headphones. Is noise there, or not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2016 @ 08:35 PM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016
5pinDIN - 25 November 2016 07:44 PM

OK. Reconnect cables to L/MONO and R, but keep monitors turned off. Listen again on headphones. Is noise there, or not?

ok, no noise in headphones

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2016 @ 10:15 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vitamusic - 25 November 2016 08:35 PM
5pinDIN - 25 November 2016 07:44 PM

ok, no noise in headphones

Interesting, that was unexpected. What happens if you turn the monitors back on, but still listen on headphones?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 02:25 PM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016
5pinDIN - 25 November 2016 10:15 PM

Interesting, that was unexpected. What happens if you turn the monitors back on, but still listen on headphones?

the headphones are always ok

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 02:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Please describe in detail your XS8 audio connections. Include any common audio connections to the computer other than FW.

Are you using powered monitors, or a separate amp and speakers?

What kind of cables are connecting the XS8 L/MONO and R outputs to your amp/speakers? TS or TRS?

Are powered speakers (or amp) getting mains power from the same outlet as the XS8?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 07:41 PM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016

Please describe in detail your XS8 audio connections. Include any common audio connections to the computer other than FW.

here is the minimal connextion
- MotifXS/mlan16e - [FW] - Asus P8z68 deluxe
- MotifXS output - [TS] - active Yamaha HS5
- MotifXS headphones - [TRS] - Bayer DT990 Pro
no other connections to the PC, only FW

Are you using powered monitors, or a separate amp and speakers?
- powered hs5
the produce a little noise themself but it is not the same as connected to the PC, the noise looks like FW adds some unstructured current to the output about -60 -70dB

What kind of cables are connecting the XS8 L/MONO and R outputs to your amp/speakers? TS or TRS?
- 2 x TS short cables

Are powered speakers (or amp) getting mains power from the same outlet as the XS8?
- I did this experiment two days ago. there is no influence if it is connected on the same outlet or another,
I tried also a different outlet passed by 2 stabilizing filters, to connect the monitors, no positive effect

I can try also to connect motifxs via a different powersupply, if you consider that it will help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 08:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Does the noise level in the monitors change with the position of the MASTER VOLUME slider on the XS8?

Is the noise level affected by position of the LEVEL control on each HS5?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2016 @ 07:48 AM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016

Does the noise level in the monitors change with the position of the MASTER VOLUME slider on the XS8?
- no

- not so considerably, but it is different nature of noise

if I switch off the PC or disconnect FW the noise, I told about, will disapear

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2016 @ 12:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vitamusic - 28 November 2016 07:48 AM

- no

- not so considerably, but it is different nature of noise

if I switch off the PC or disconnect FW the noise, I told about, will disapear

You’re experiencing a grounding problem. The first thing to do is verify that your XS8, computer, and monitor speakers all have power cords with intact ground pins, and that the power outlets themselves have proper ground connections.

If there are no problems with the cords or outlets, then it’s likely you have a ground loop. That’s caused by there being multiple ground paths through interconnecting cables, causing differential currents to exist. While it might be possible to isolate the FW ground, that can result in other problems.

I would suggest that you have the FW connected, computer on, monitors on, and try disconnecting the cables at the XS8 L/MONO and R jacks. If the noise stops, then a device that will provide galvanic ground isolation between the XS8 line outputs and the monitor inputs should resolve the problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 05:30 AM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016
5pinDIN - 28 November 2016 12:18 PM

You’re experiencing a grounding problem. The first thing to do is verify that your XS8, computer, and monitor speakers all have power cords with intact ground pins, and that the power outlets themselves have proper ground connections.

If there are no problems with the cords or outlets, then it’s likely you have a ground loop. That’s caused by there being multiple ground paths through interconnecting cables, causing differential currents to exist. While it might be possible to isolate the FW ground, that can result in other problems.

I would suggest that you have the FW connected, computer on, monitors on, and try disconnecting the cables at the XS8 L/MONO and R jacks. If the noise stops, then a device that will provide galvanic ground isolation between the XS8 line outputs and the monitor inputs should resolve the problem.

thank you for your explanations. indead, I have no grounding sockets, all forks are with ground pins and filters are as well, but the central power socket where all is connected is without grounding.

is there the possibility to ground without it ?
if yes, how to do it ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 08:08 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vitamusic - 29 November 2016 05:30 AM

thank you for your explanations.

You’re welcome.

vitamusic -

indead, I have no grounding sockets, all forks are with ground pins and filters are as well, but the central power socket where all is connected is without grounding.

is there the possibility to ground without it ?
if yes, how to do it ?

Exactly what needs to be done depends on where in the world you’re located, and whether the wiring to the outlet(socket) is sheathed in metal that’s grounded. It might be possible for a grounding adapter to be used, or the outlet might need to be replaced with the proper type and the ground connection made to it. I suggest consulting with an electrician. Since lack of a power ground is a safety risk for you and for your equipment, I further suggest this be done under any circumstance.

Once the power grounding is done, try connecting everything as directly as possible to the grounded outlet. That alone may resolve the problem. However, even with proper electrical grounding there may still be noise issues - computers and audio sometimes don’t go together well. In that case, see my previous post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 10:27 AM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016
5pinDIN - 29 November 2016 08:08 AM

Exactly what needs to be done depends on where in the world you’re located, and whether the wiring to the outlet(socket) is sheathed in metal that’s grounded. It might be possible for a grounding adapter to be used, or the outlet might need to be replaced with the proper type and the ground connection made to it. I suggest consulting with an electrician. Since lack of a power ground is a safety risk for you and for your equipment, I further suggest this be done under any circumstance.

Once the power grounding is done, try connecting everything as directly as possible to the grounded outlet. That alone may resolve the problem. However, even with proper electrical grounding there may still be noise issues - computers and audio sometimes don’t go together well. In that case, see my previous post.

no there is no grounding in the building, it is an old 70x years building, with the origin electric cables.
perhaps if I add a wire from grounding pins to a heating radiators, would it solve the problem ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 11:30 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vitamusic - 29 November 2016 10:27 AM

no there is no grounding in the building, it is an old 70x years building, with the origin electric cables.

Even 70+ years ago many buildings had metal-sheathed wiring. Metal armored cable dates back to about 1900, and was relatively common almost 90 years ago in some areas. Grounding was typically done by bonding the main electrical panel to the main water pipe where it entered the building, and/or with long metal rods driven into the earth.

However, electrical codes and techniques vary, sometimes dramatically, with location on the planet. That’s why it’s necessary to consult with a local electrician who can provide a professional determination of what should be done where you are.

vitamusic -

perhaps if I add a wire from grounding pins to a heating radiators, would it solve the problem ?

Please don’t do that - it could cause a dangerous situation, especially if a short to power ground should occur in any of your gear.

From a safety standpoint, if grounding is not an option, a GFCI(Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter), sometimes known as an RCD(Residual Current Device), should probably be installed. However, such a device will not help with the noise issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS8 as a midi controller
Next Topic:

Change Sustain Time on XS! ››