mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XS8 as control surface (remote mode)"

Posted on: November 21, 2016 @ 11:54 AM
vitamusic
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-25-2016

Hello,

I’ve heard that Motif XS in its remote mode can totally replace Mackie Universal Control Pro with the same fluidity and productivity. The only difference is that faders of Motif is not motorized.

Could you explain me please how to configure MotifXS to have equivalent confortable control space ?
What are limits of MotifXS in comparaison with MUC Pro ?

Could MotifXS be configured to work with the both Cubase and ProTools as control surface ?
What will be limits for ProTools v12 ?

Is there some video explaining or demo remote control with MotifXS?

I search particulary the cases when I can
- write automatisations simultaneously on 8 tracks
- call and control insert/send… plugins’ parameters (vst,rtas,.) with faders, knobs, buttons of MotifXS

Thank you for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2016 @ 01:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Some XS8 Remote Control information is in the Owner’s Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/10074) on pages 51-53 and
the XS Data List 2 (http://download.yamaha.com/file/8315) pages 53-62.

Hopefully others will post, concerning their experiences using Cubase, Pro Tools, and Mackie Control compatibility.

This video has some information about DAW usage, although not specifically Pro Tools:
http://www.keyfax.com/index.php/music-production-with-motif-download-only.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2016 @ 08:35 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I have used the Remote Mode with Cubase as well as Ableton Live with both the Motif ES and now the XF.

With Cubase it works exactly as described in the Data List manual. Some of the text displays are cryptic because of the limited number of characters shown, but this is a problem with all control surfaces due to the lack of large screens. The mapping of knobs, sliders and buttons works perfectly. I’d say that ayt least 50% of what I need to control in Cubase is accessible from the Motif.

I don’t have Pro Tools but have every reason to believe that it works as described in the manual.

What’s great: no programming is required by you, 100% plug and play

What’s bad: when the DAW adds new features in the future, there’s no way to control them. The channel strips added to Cubase in v7 are not accessible, for example because the controls were designed for Cubase v4.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2016 @ 10:34 PM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016
meatballfulton - 21 November 2016 08:35 PM

I have used the Remote Mode with Cubase as well as Ableton Live with both the Motif ES and now the XF.

With Cubase it works exactly as described in the Data List manual. Some of the text displays are cryptic because of the limited number of characters shown, but this is a problem with all control surfaces due to the lack of large screens. The mapping of knobs, sliders and buttons works perfectly. I’d say that ayt least 50% of what I need to control in Cubase is accessible from the Motif.

I don’t have Pro Tools but have every reason to believe that it works as described in the manual.

What’s great: no programming is required by you, 100% plug and play

What’s bad: when the DAW adds new features in the future, there’s no way to control them. The channel strips added to Cubase in v7 are not accessible, for example because the controls were designed for Cubase v4.

I did some tries yesterday, and as you told I found only v4 cubase functions compatibility, that is not good as we will have cubase 9 soon. and there is no any upgrades on it!
what would be recommended control surface for the last cubase in this case ?

I tried motifxs with protools v12, it is impossible to connect, it seems it is 100% incompatible.

as for remote of motifxs, I could not assign my functions to F1-F8, it does not work, at least for me.
I’d like that F1-F8 controls the main automatizations I do.
but after adding them in cubase remote menu, there were not changes. cubase v6.5.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2016 @ 05:57 AM
vitamusic
Joined  07-25-2016

as steinberg is not responsible for motifxs remote control part to be compatible with the last versions of cubase,

could somebody give me the contact of the yamaha’s person who is responsible for motifxs upgrades and support roadmap, please?

thanks.

[ Ignore ]