mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Audio & MIDI over USB"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 19, 2016 @ 11:02 AM
moxfman
Total Posts:  80
Joined  03-13-2016

So here’s the scenario....and I think I know the answer already but would like to check this with those more knowledgeable than I!

I play keys in a band, using an MOXF8 as the main synth with a Novation Mininova as the second board.

The Mininova is connected to the A/D stereo inputs on the MOXF8. Then one pair out stereo outs from the MOXF8 to the PA, with control of the Mininova volume using the Gain knob. So far so good.

I now want to incorporate some audio clips and samples (MP3 or MP4 format) into some of the band’s songs. These are stored on an iPhone 6. I am not looking to incorporate (at this moment) any iOS synth apps although I’d like the flexibility to be able to do that later if I so wish.

So the question is...if I buy the Yamaha i-UX1 cable (and a dock to lightning connector as I have an iPhone 6) does this enable both audio AND MIDI between the MOXF8 and the iPhone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2016 @ 01:13 PM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Funny that I suggested once you to use MOXF audio inputs and, again, now I’d say that mininova has an input as well. :-) Sorry to say it’s a mono input that may be insufficient for you. If you had Ultranova you had a normal (i.e. stereo) audio input with the functions similar to the MOXF’s. Note that both novas has similar vocoder function as the MOX/MOXF has. As far as I remember Ultranova is able to forward audio input signal perfectly to the line out mixed with the signal generated by the instrument as well.
Other tip: get a flash memory module for MOXF and forget external sample/audio sources.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 09:58 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
jozsihome - 19 November 2016 01:13 PM

Funny that I suggested once you to use MOXF audio inputs and, again, now I’d say that mininova has an input as well. :-) Sorry to say it’s a mono input that may be insufficient for you. If you had Ultranova you had a normal (i.e. stereo) audio input with the functions similar to the MOXF’s. Note that both novas has similar vocoder function as the MOX/MOXF has. As far as I remember Ultranova is able to forward audio input signal perfectly to the line out mixed with the signal generated by the instrument as well.
Other tip: get a flash memory module for MOXF and forget external sample/audio sources.

Hey Jozsihone!...Yes I have a flash memory expansion board already installed in the MOXF8, but this requirement is for something else. It is not to be able to play MOXF8 with samples but MP3/MP4 audio clips and samples that are playing while I am playing!

You are right the Mininova has an external input but it’s mono you’re right and also it would not be able handle MIDI to/from the iPhone, only audio.

I’m thinking the Yamaha i-UX1 connected to MOXF8 USB will be the way to do this, I just need to know that it can handle audio played through it as well as MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 10:33 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I presume by “i-UIX1” you meant “i-UX1”. The i-UX1 is a USB MIDI interface for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. The MIDI protocol has no provision for transmitting audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 10:39 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
5pinDIN - 20 November 2016 10:33 AM

I presume by “i-UIX1” you meant “i-UX1”. The i-UX1 is a USB MIDI interface for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. The MIDI protocol has no provision for transmitting audio.

Thanks for the clarfication 5pinDIN! I also corrected the mistake..i-UX1 it is indeed :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 10:44 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Since the iPhone 6 has a headphone jack (unlike the iPhone 7), output from that could go to a small mixer along with the Mininova audio. The mixer output could, of course, then be connected to the MOXF A/D inputs. Alternative mixer connections are possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 10:49 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016

I’ve noticed there has been a recent firmware update (V1.12) for the MOXF, this is what the Yamaha website says about it. So does this not mean that audio data can be transmitted to/from an iPhone connected to the MOXF8 USB terminal?

V1.11 to V1.12
- Solved a problem in which audio data could not be transferred to/from an iOS device with iOS 10 via the USB terminal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 11:09 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
5pinDIN - 20 November 2016 10:44 AM

Since the iPhone 6 has a headphone jack (unlike the iPhone 7), output from that could go to a small mixer along with the Mininova audio. The mixer output could, of course, then be connected to the MOXF A/D inputs. Alternative mixer connections are possible.

Valid point, but I am hoping to avoid having to add a mixer to my setup! See my post about the recent MOXF firmware update....I’m not sure why a firmware update would be release to solve audio issue from iOS 10 over USB if Yamaha’s i-UX1 cable doesn’t support it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 11:15 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016

It would seem the camera connector kit from Apple will enable audio over USB when connecting iOS device to MOXF (See Bad Mister’s reply - second post - in the thread linked to below)

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/how-versatile-is-the-usb-audio-midi-connection-between-a-moxf-and-connected-ipad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 03:19 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
moxfman - 20 November 2016 11:09 AM
5pinDIN - 20 November 2016 10:44 AM

Valid point, but I am hoping to avoid having to add a mixer to my setup! See my post about the recent MOXF firmware update....I’m not sure why a firmware update would be release to solve audio issue from iOS 10 over USB if Yamaha’s i-UX1 cable doesn’t support it?

The firmware update was necessary because audio over USB with the MOXF was broken by Apple with iOS 10 (and it wasn’t the first time that happened). A mixer uses analog audio, of course, which with an iPhone having a headphone jack wouldn’t be affected by any possible future iOS change.

If a mixer isn’t an acceptable solution, then the Camera Connection Kit is a way of conveying audio, as long as a compatible iOS version is used.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 03:41 PM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Be aware that iPhone and iPad is not the same device even if the opsys is iOS for both. Always check that a given solution works for iPhone as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 04:04 PM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016

This works with iPhone 6:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 09:45 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016

Another question I have which is related to this topic...please bear with me here as I’ve only returned to the world of synths this year after a 15+ year long hiatus and a lot has changed in that time!

Just to recap...my setup is a Yamaha MOXF8, with a Novation Mininova as the second board (although in reality I’m using it as a sound module). The Novation is connected to the A/D inputs on the MOXF8 and its volume controlled by the GAIN knob on the MOXF8.

What exactly is meant by USB Audio Interface? I am trying to get my head around this but struggling somewhat. Maybe I’m overlooking the obvious, I don’t know! The MOXF8 has one built-in, so I read, but I can’t seem to find a plain English “for dummies” type of explanation, and something that tells me how it all works, cables/connections, etc.

Can someone explain it? Or point me in the right direction to a simple explanation? How would I use MOXF USB Audio interface in a live performance scenario, and what would I need to make it all work?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 10:42 AM
B.Minor
Total Posts:  126
Joined  10-22-2010

Can someone explain it? Or point me in the right direction to a simple explanation? How would I use MOXF USB Audio interface in a live performance scenario, and what would I need to make it all work?

Consider the MOXF USB audio interface as an “external sound card” which is not physically built into your computer. If you are connecting your MOXF to your PC/MAC by using the “TO HOST” USB jack, your computer will create an additional instance and you will be able to activate your MOXF as your active sound device. In fact it will route all of your computer audio to the MOXF instead, from where it can be monitored in addition to those sounds created by the MOXF itself. However, the MOXF audio capabilities will go far beyond that, as you can also route your MOXF-created audio signals via the same USB connectivity back towards the computer, e.g. if you want to record your audio there using a DAW application. So digital audio works in both directions, using the mentioned USB connectivity only.

Edit:
Important pre-requisite: You will need to install the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver first on your computer in order to establish the related audio/MIDI connectivity properly!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 11:07 AM
moxfman
Joined  03-13-2016
B.Minor - 27 November 2016 10:42 AM

Consider the MOXF USB audio interface as an “external sound card” which is not physically built into your PC. If you are connecting your MOXF to your PC by using the “TO HOST” USB jack, your PC will create an additional sound device instance and you will be able to activate your MOXF as your active PC sound device. In fact you will route all of your PC audio to the MOXF instead from where it can be monitored in addition to those sounds created within the MOXF itself. However, the MOXF audio capabilities will go far beyond that, as you can also route MOXF-created audio signals via the same USB connectivity back towards the computer, e.g. if you want to record your audio there using a DAW. So audio works in both directions, using USB only.

Edit:
Important pre-requisite: You need to install the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver first on your PC in order to establish the related audio/MIDI connectivity properly!

Thanks B.Minor.

The thread was started because I didn’t know how to get Audio AND MIDI through the MOXF8 via USB.

Connecting an iPhone 6 to the MOXF8 USB “TO HOST” port with the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter kit would seem to facilitate this, for enabling audio files on the iPhone 6 to connect to be played back through the MOXF8 and MIDI control of a capable iOS app (soft synth).

I think I’ve got that right!

To connect the MOXF8 to a laptop I install the Steinberg USB driver on the laptop, hook up the MOXF8 via USB from laptop to the “TO HOST” port on the MOXF8.

Does this connection carry MIDI data as well? So for example, I want to send MIDI control messages from the MOXF8 to a soft synth running on the laptop during live performance.

I get the audio part now, such as recording to a DAW. But it’s the MIDI part I’m still a little unclear on. Or am I just being stupid?!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2016 @ 11:12 AM
B.Minor
Total Posts:  126
Joined  10-22-2010

Does this connection carry MIDI data as well?

Yes.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ HybridPerformer3
Next Topic:

Editing presets and more ››