mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "can Melas’ Motif Tools play a Voice, from the computer?"

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 04:24 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Can one of the John Melas’ Motif Tools or his Motif Waveform Editor play a Voice based on waveforms residing on the computer?

In other words, consider a scenario where a Motif XF is not connected to your computer that is running a combination of the following Melas Tools programs: Motif Waveform Editor, Voice Editor, and/or Total Librarian. Can any combination of those play a Motif Voice file, that’s based on waveforms that are loaded into those programs, and residing on your computer?

Based on browsing through the manual and the files that those programs can open & save, and playing around with those programs, I believe the answer is “no”.

What led me to this question is that I can play Waveforms that are residing in my computer, from Motif Waveform Editor. My guess is that this is the only instance where a Melas Tools program can play sounds in a Motif Format, when it is not connected to the Motif XF.

I am new to synth librarians. How they function is becoming clear to me, but I am trying to confirm it. … I.e., I am guessing that these programs - other than Waveform Editor- manage & change data on the actual instrument (Motif XF). And the only way to hear the changes is for the Melas Tools computer programs to update the actual instrument (the Motif XF). And when you hear the changes programmed in Melas Tools (Voice Editor, Total Librarian), it’s because those programs sent the changes to the XF, and the XF updated its Voices, and then the XF plays is voices based on waveforms residing in the XF environment (FL, SDRAM).

--
Therefore, I can audition waveforms, and only waveforms, before loading them to flash boards. But, the only way I can hear Voices, and multiple waveforms together, will be after they are loaded on the flash boards, and it’s the Motif XF playing them. Is this correct?

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 04:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 16 November 2016 04:24 PM

[...]Therefore, I can audition waveforms, and only waveforms, before loading them to flash boards. But, the only way I can hear Voices, and multiple waveforms together, will be after they are loaded on the flash boards, and it’s the Motif XF playing them. Is this correct?

That’s correct. The Melas software can extract the data and play the audio from a file. In order to play Voices, the software would have to emulate the Motif XF tone generator hardware, which would be quite an accomplishment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 05:22 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Ok. … Ancillary support for this may include the observation that I can work in Waveform Editor while its computer is not connected to the XF. But, it seems there’s not much - if anything - I can do in Voice Editor when its computer is not connected to the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 06:11 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You can do all the editing you like in Voice Editor without the XF connected, you just won’t be able to hear anything you are doing!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 06:53 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

If a pitch falls in Voice editor, but it is not connected to a Motif, does it make a sound?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 07:00 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 16 November 2016 06:53 PM

If a pitch falls in Voice editor, but it is not connected to a Motif, does it make a sound?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_of_Silence

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ CP1 topic error
Next Topic:

venting ››