mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Non-Operational Keys"

Posted on: November 13, 2016 @ 07:05 PM
DaveG38
Total Posts:  37
Joined  01-01-2011

I’m pretty sure this will be something simple that I have done or overlooked, but I would appreciate advice please.

I’m just creating a song using my XS6 in Pattern mode, and for some of the 16 tracks, all the keys below Middle C are mute. This initially occurred for track 8 and when I went to copy it to track 9, I found that the muting of the keys was also copied over. It doesn’t matter which voice I assign to the track the keys are still muted. I’ve tried going to another song and coming back to the one I was composing but to no effect. Turning off an on makes no difference either. I’m pretty sure I must have done something to limit the key functions for track 9, but I can’t recall or figure out what I’ve done.

Anybody help please?

Dave G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2016 @ 07:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You can set Note Limits for each Part in a Mixing. See Part Basic Settings - [F1] Voice,   [SF1] Voice on page 235 of the XS Owner’s Manual (which refers to page 151). Then see (15) Note Limit on page 152. Edit the Note Limits for each Part, as needed.

If the XS Owner’s Manual isn’t at hand, you can download a PDF version: http://download.yamaha.com/file/10074

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2016 @ 08:14 PM
DaveG38
Joined  01-01-2011

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately this didn’t work out. However, I have found that if I put some junk notes into any one of the tracks that isn’t being used, and then use the copy track function, I can copy the junk notes into the tracks which are limited and this frees up the keys below C. In other words, I can return them to full functionality. Then I just delete the junk notes everywhere and I’m back to normal. A bit tedious, and its unclear what’s been going on, but all is well again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2016 @ 08:37 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

If you’d be willing to post an “all pattern” (.X0P) file with an example of the problem, I’d like to determine what’s going on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 08:55 AM
DaveG38
Joined  01-01-2011

I don’t seem to be able to load a file. Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 09:01 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DaveG38 - 14 November 2016 08:55 AM

I don’t seem to be able to load a file. Any ideas?

If by that you mean you can’t attach a file to your post, please ZIP it first.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 09:45 AM
DaveG38
Joined  01-01-2011

When I go to upload a file, I get the option of browsing for the file and a message about how big the file can be, but nothing to allow me to place the file into the message.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 10:18 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DaveG38 - 14 November 2016 09:45 AM

When I go to upload a file, I get the option of browsing for the file and a message about how big the file can be, but nothing to allow me to place the file into the message.

I don’t know what computer OS you’re using, but in general…
Click on the “Browse...” button, navigate to the file you want to attach, and select it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 11:36 AM
DaveG38
Joined  01-01-2011
5pinDIN - 14 November 2016 10:18 AM
DaveG38 - 14 November 2016 09:45 AM

I don’t know what computer OS you’re using, but in general…
Click on the “Browse...” button, navigate to the file you want to attach, and select it.

I’m using Windows 7. I do all that you say, but once I have the file selected it isn’t possible to get the file into the message or to get the message to go up onto the site. Would it be simpler if I were to email you the file - its only 700 or so K/bts - zipped, its just 96 K/bts.

I’ll try again with this message by attaching the file.

File Attachments
Problem Song.zip  (File Size: 96KB - Downloads: 190)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 11:39 AM
DaveG38
Joined  01-01-2011

I don’t know what happened, but it appears to have worked!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 12:12 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Got it. Which Pattern number(s)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 12:53 PM
DaveG38
Joined  01-01-2011
5pinDIN - 14 November 2016 12:12 PM

Got it. Which Pattern number(s)?

OK, the song is no 20 on the XS6. Of the 16 tracks, number 3 (grand piano) is the only one where the problem ocurs where all of the keys below C are not working. This is the situation for all sections A-P. The Yamaha will allow me to insert notes below C when using the edit mode or if recording, but none of them sound on playback, nor do the keys produce any sound either. If I use the Copy Track function on say B3 to B12, then B12 gains this problem of silent keys. Alternatively, if I copy an unaffected track to B3, it will cure it for the whole song (which is the obvious answer for this song, although I’m still trying to understand what’s going on).

Hope this makes sense.

PS: Don’t laugh too loud at the song - its still being polished and adjusted, but even then won’t be a best seller!!!

Thanks.

Dave G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 01:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

OK. Try this…
1) Select Pattern #20
2) Press [MIXING]
3) Press [EDIT]
4) Press [3] (important - this selects Part 3, the piano)
5) Cursor to “Note Limit”
6) Change “C3” to whatever note you want the lower limit to be. For the full possible range, set it to “C -2”

I hope that helps.

By the way, I believe in the “Golden Rule”. I never comment about others composition, playing, etc., unless specifically asked for, and then only in a hopefully constructive manner - lest they criticize my own efforts :-) .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 02:04 PM
DaveG38
Joined  01-01-2011

Just tried it and it works!! Brilliant, well done. I really appreciate it. However, I have no idea how this got to be set as it was, but there we are.

As far as my songs go, I go to a local songwriting circle and I’m used to criticism of my compositions, such as they are. I’m not really any kind of musician, so I don’t get too bothered by anybody having a laugh at my expense.

Again many thanks for your help - there’s so much to grasp on the XS range that I don’t think I’ll ever fully understand all its fucntions. Neverthelesss for what I want to do, it’s a fabulous machine even if I don’t know how to use it properly.

Regards.

Dave G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2016 @ 04:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - I’m glad that’s been resolved.

Please post again if you have further questions.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Solo Leads - Power metal - Progressive
Next Topic:

USB issue - motif xs ››