mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF MIDI to Windows 7 - basic question"

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 01:10 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

I am having difficulties setting up my XF to control my Windows 7 Pro (Service Pack 1) computer via my MOTU FastLane USB midi interface. For the sake of this discussion, I am new to Windows 7, and configuring it for Music. (I am a Mac user.)

Currently, my ultimate goal is to have my Motif XF play John Melas’ Waveform Editor 2.0.0. I did not have success when I explored a newly installed Midi-Ox as a potential trouble-shooting tool.

Here’s what works:

In Melas’ Waveform editor, I loaded a .X3A library, and could click on the Waveform Editor’s on-screen keyboard, and it makes sound through the computer’s speakers as expected. So I’ve got sufficient audio working.

I have installed the appropriate MOTU driver, & in JM’s Waveform editor’s Audio/Midi Setup, I could see the FastLane midi interface. I selected Port A. … I believe I was able to do the similar configuration within Midi-Ox.

I searched for the Windows 7 equivalent of Mac OS’s Audio-Midi Setup; but have not found that yet.

In the XF, I went to Utility>Control>MIDI …
Transmit>Keyboard Channel. I played XF keyboard while going through all the Keyboard Channel options, including 1, and 3.

I tried Port B. I have not tried a different MIDI cable & USB port. I’ll try that now.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get Windows 7/Motu FastLane Midi Interface/Melas Waveform Editor to register MIDI messages from my Motif XF keyboard?

Thanks,

ds

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 01:34 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Changing the usb port worked! It works!
I don’t get it. Not complaining. I am so excited to finally be able to audition XF libraries “virtually” before spending the time to load them to flash. Thank you, John Melas!

So, urgency gone. Anyone have this experience of some USB ports working with others not - on Windows 7? (By the way, it’s an old, but good-condition Dell laptop.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 01:43 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m glad you got things working, but I’m curious - why are you using an external MIDI interface when you could directly connect the XF to your computer via USB and install the appropriate Yamaha USB-MIDI driver?

As to USB port unpredictability with Windows (not just 7), it’s not uncommon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 02:04 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014
5pinDIN - 11 November 2016 01:43 PM

… why are you using an external MIDI interface when you could directly connect the XF to your computer via USB and install the appropriate Yamaha USB-MIDI driver?

For reasons of ignorance. I didn’t even have a sense the XF could connect directly to the computer via USB. I thought this was a feature that came with MOXF. Now, I recall that the MOXF brought audio with its USB; as opposed to the XF’s USB. I encountered the info about using XF’s usb as a USB midi interface with the driver you just brought up when I was trying to troubleshoot my external midi interface setup. I bookmarked that in my brain as “look into that”. … With your response I’m getting the sense that’s gonna work just fine. Which is awesome! I’m also pleasantly surprised that the latency in my current setup is negligible - especially for my purposes.

5pinDIN - 11 November 2016 01:43 PM

As to USB port unpredictability with Windows (not just 7), it’s not uncommon.

Good to confirm.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI port setting problem with XF8
Next Topic:

Talkbox ››