mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Odd blemish on MOXF8"

Posted on: November 08, 2016 @ 08:59 PM
moxfman
Total Posts:  80
Joined  03-13-2016

I noticed when setting up my MOXF8 at the last band rehearsal a small circular blemish on the upper part of the rear panel. I tried to see if it was something that would wipe off with a slightly damp cloth but to no avail.

For a while I was using the Yamaha MOXF8 soft case but I wasn’t really happy with it so got a proper flightcase for it.

I mention the soft case because the mark on the rear panel looks like the same yellow-ish colour as the inner lining of the soft case.

It’s like the inner lining of the soft case has imprinted it on the rear panel of the MOXF8. It certainly won’t wipe off with a dry or slightly damp cloth.

Somewhat annoying.

How do I best cover this up? Should I use a black permanent marker pen?

Or is there a way to remove it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2016 @ 01:00 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

I would leave it alone, myself.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2016 @ 01:58 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
moxfman - 08 November 2016 08:59 PM

I noticed when setting up my MOXF8 at the last band rehearsal a small circular blemish on the upper part of the rear panel.[...]

What motidave suggested might be the best approach.

However, if you don’t find that acceptable…
Using a marker is risky, since depending on which solvent it contains, the MOXF surface might be damaged by it. Also, “black” markers don’t always appear black.

Something that’s usually safe (assuming there’s no lettering nearby) is to apply a small amount of vegetable oil, and gently rub it in with a soft toothbrush. Remove the oil, first using a dry soft cloth, then one dampened with water and a drop of mild dishwashing liquid soap.

The above may or may not work, depending on the nature of what you described.
Of course, if you do this, it’s at your own risk.

By the way, if the “blemish” is actual physical damage (as opposed to just some color transfer), there’s probably nothing that can be done. For example, such damage can be caused when ABS plastic is contacted by certain plasticizers used in PVC plastics.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2016 @ 10:15 PM
moxfman
Total Posts:  80
Joined  03-13-2016
5pinDIN - 10 November 2016 01:58 PM
moxfman - 08 November 2016 08:59 PM

I noticed when setting up my MOXF8 at the last band rehearsal a small circular blemish on the upper part of the rear panel.[...]

What motidave suggested might be the best approach.

However, if you don’t find that acceptable…
Using a marker is risky, since depending on which solvent it contains, the MOXF surface might be damaged by it. Also, “black” markers don’t always appear black.

Something that’s usually safe (assuming there’s no lettering nearby) is to apply a small amount of vegetable oil, and gently rub it in with a soft toothbrush. Remove the oil, first using a dry soft cloth, then one dampened with water and a drop of mild dishwashing liquid soap.

The above may or may not work, depending on the nature of what you described.
Of course, if you do this, it’s at your own risk.

By the way, if the “blemish” is actual physical damage (as opposed to just some color transfer), there’s probably nothing that can be done. For example, such damage can be caused when ABS plastic is contacted by certain plasticizers used in PVC plastics.

Thanks for the replies guys. The blemish appears to be come colour transfer, it’s very small and can only be seen under bright light but I KNOW it’s there!

I say colour transfer because there is no physical damage to the panel.  I did consider putting a sticker over it but would be a little concerned about it affecting the resale value…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 09:10 PM
Pelatoni
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-11-2016

Hello

I had the same problem and after exchanging my MOXF6 again I saw these small annoying blemishes. Here what I did and it worked well:

I bought
Meguiar’s G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - 10 oz.
You can Google , and it is about 8 dollars.

Get a soft towel and apply a small amount of the product to the towel, then rub GENTLY NOT TOO MUCH PRESSURE on the affected keys, then with clean part of the towel start to rub .The compound gradually dries and scratches will go away. wait for about 5 minutes, and repeat the steps again if needed.The reason is that some scratches are a kind of deeper than the others, and as other scratches are removed , deep scratches need more coatings, so repeating the steps will remove them .

I was so hesitant to do this at first , thinking that the keys will go bad, but after lots of researching, and videos on U tube,decided to try just a very small area to see what will happen.Fortunately, everything worked great.

Thank God at least I could remove the blemish.
It is so sad that Yamaha did not do a good job in this respect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 10:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Pelatoni - 11 November 2016 09:10 PM

Hello

I had the same problem and after exchanging my MOXF6 again I saw these small annoying blemishes. Here what I did and it worked well:

I bought
Meguiar’s G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - 10 oz.
You can Google , and it is about 8 dollars.

Get a soft towel and apply a small amount of the product to the towel, then rub GENTLY NOT TOO MUCH PRESSURE on the affected keys, then with clean part of the towel start to rub .The compound gradually dries and scratches will go away. wait for about 5 minutes, and repeat the steps again if needed.The reason is that some scratches are a kind of deeper than the others, and as other scratches are removed , deep scratches need more coatings, so repeating the steps will remove them .

I was so hesitant to do this at first , thinking that the keys will go bad, but after lots of researching, and videos on U tube,decided to try just a very small area to see what will happen.Fortunately, everything worked great.

Thank God at least I could remove the blemish.
It is so sad that Yamaha did not do a good job in this respect.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your post - however, moxfman is describing something that transferred to the rear panel of his MOXF8, not the keys, and not scratches. The Meguiar’s product is a mildly abrasive gel, and although it might work well for polishing keys, I wouldn’t suggest using it on the rear of the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2016 @ 03:40 PM
Grandad1946
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-31-2014

Have a similar problem with my MOXF, two keyboard setup where the MOXF is on the top teir of the stand, as this slopes the metal pieces that stop it sliding off have a rubber cover, I noticed that this appears to have eaten into the surface of the instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2016 @ 06:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Grandad1946 - 12 November 2016 03:40 PM

Have a similar problem with my MOXF, two keyboard setup where the MOXF is on the top teir of the stand, as this slopes the metal pieces that stop it sliding off have a rubber cover, I noticed that this appears to have eaten into the surface of the instrument.

Plasticizers are also used in various rubber compounds, so contact aided by gravity and vibration from playing can cause that sort of damage. Physically separating vulnerable objects is about the only thing that can be done to prevent it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticizer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2016 @ 06:55 PM
Pelatoni
Joined  11-11-2016

Thank you for your information. I bought a new MOXF6. When it arrived , I saw circular scratches from middle F key to an octave. I called the music store, and they sent me another new one, but again I saw these hairlines scratches.Seemed to me that Yamaha like when sanding or polishing the keys created this. The Keyboard is new,and not even used. I decided to just keep it rather calling again the store, and create another exchange .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2016 @ 07:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Pelatoni - 12 November 2016 06:55 PM

Thank you for your information. I bought a new MOXF6. When it arrived , I saw circular scratches from middle F key to an octave. I called the music store, and they sent me another new one, but again I saw these hairlines scratches.Seemed to me that Yamaha like when sanding or polishing the keys created this. The Keyboard is new,and not even used. I decided to just keep it rather calling again the store, and create another exchange .

Sorry you had a problem with the initial condition of your MOXF6. However, please understand that this isn’t a Yamaha-owned website, and your posts are unrelated to the issue moxfman is having.

If you want to complain to Yamaha, you could post at…
https://yamahasynth.com/forum/categories

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2016 @ 12:20 PM
Pelatoni
Joined  11-11-2016

Hello

I was just trying to help. If you can please remove all of my replies. I am not able to remove them. Thanks

[ Ignore ]