mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Waveform management on Flash Boards"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: November 10, 2016 @ 01:13 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

When loading in libraries to a formatted flash drive, is there any benefit in using John Melas tools?

I will make an archive ALL file after loading each library. … I will incorporate Melas Motif editors at one point, but as I’m a slow adopter, I want to move forward on loading my FL board asap.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 01:08 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I use the Melas Waveform Editor myself to do the process I described, it is much faster than doing it all on the hardware itself, but of course it’s not necessary to use the software.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 08:50 AM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

i’m gonna try to get it going. … waveform editor 2.0—live audition of things not loaded—amazing feature.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2016 @ 01:58 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

ok. i am unbelievably excited to finally combine the power of the computer & the motif xf. Bridged by John Melas’ Motif Waveform Editor.

So now, I can in a relaxed manner audition my sounds via the Waveform “VI”. And then, “with sight”, load the waveforms I want. Thank you, Motifator for the Melas recommendation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 05:30 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

So, now that I’m finally incorporating Melas Tools to my XF waveform management, I’m figuring out my workflow.

In Waveform Editor, I assembled a trial ALL file containing waveforms & voices from various libraries. I am loading that into the XF now. I am understanding how to do that; and I like how the waveform:voice relationship is maintained even when the waveform changes between USR to FL1, and changes waveform number. That is neat. Thanks, John Melas! Eager to test it out on the XF to see if it works as expected.

When I first started with Melas tools I thought I wouldn’t have to be accountable for much that I learned about XF file management. Now I’m seeing that it’s an “and” not an “or”.

--
I am posting here because:
- perhaps it’s useful for someone else
- always grateful for different or confirming perspectives of approach
- keeping this forum flowing (as the motif family has long, long life ahead!)

If someone feels I’m posting too much “noise”, feel free to let me know. (Privately, or publicly.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 06:16 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

That worked as expected.
---

Consider I have a “Main ALL file” created in Melas’ Waveform Editor. Then, I load that “Main ALL file” as an ALL file, with samples into the XF.

Then, I want to add new waveforms to the “Main ALL file”. Can I add the new waveforms in Waveform Editor, then somehow load only those new waveforms into the XF, without having to reload all the Waveforms, and without getting duplicate waveforms?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 06:49 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Fine-tuning that question:

Can I add the new waveforms in Waveform Editor, then somehow load only those new waveforms into the XF - in one batch attempt, without having to reload all the Waveforms, and without getting duplicate waveforms?

I saw that, at the Motif, I could load 1 waveform at a time. But, if I want to append a bunch of new waveforms to a flashboard, loading them in, one at a time, at the Motif could be tedious.

One way I was able to do “append” a bunch of new waveforms to the flash board in one batch step, and have the “Main ALL file” in Motif Waveform Editor mirror my flash board was in the following way:

In Motif Waveform Editor
1. Add the new waveforms to “Main ALL file”.
2. Create a voice that has all the new waveforms. Limit, 1 voice can hold up to 8 new waveforms. 12 new waveforms would require two separate voices. (The voice is created in a bank that I could erase on the Motif in an upcoming step.)
3. Save the new “Main ALL file”

At Motif XF:
4. Load “1 bank voice”; select the bank that has the new voice(s) that contains all the new waveforms I wish to “append” to my flash board.

----
So, maybe there’s a better way, but this seems to do what I want.

1. Load a lot of waveforms to the flash board.
2. Later, load a bunch more, in one batch step, without getting duplicates, and without deleting waveforms residing on the flash board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2016 @ 07:22 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

My first goal is loading and appending commercial library waveforms to the flash board in an easy to manage way. I believe I’ve figured that out.

My next minor goal is to be able to load the commercial library voices employing those waveforms well after I’ve loaded them onto the flash boards. To do this, I have to keep good track of my “Main ALL file”. But, with the assistance of the John Melas Motif Waveform Editor, I believe I’ve figured this minor goal out. Using this application, I just took a bunch of those voices, added them to my “Main ALL file”, then loaded them properly into my XF without duplicating waveforms (nor samples). (I.e., loaded 1 bank voice, with “none” setting.) And then I was able to explore those commercial library voices; and the voice-wavform relationship was properly maintained. (Excellent!)

For this approach to work, I have to actively ensure that my “Main ALL file” in the Melas Motif Waveform Editor exactly mirrors my flash board, though. That may be a challenge for me.

I am trying to avoid having to format my flash board every time I want to add a bunch of new waveforms to it. I think I’ve got a workable way for what I want to do at the moment. But, suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2016 @ 10:18 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If you create an All file with just the new waveforms/voices, you can load that in to the XF and it will add the waveforms above the existing ones.

Save a new All file from the XF to have everything in one file.

If the goal is to save time, my advice is to forget about saving time...anything related to loading or dumping the flash is going to be slooooooow.  It doesn’t bother me because it’s no slower than loading the RAM in my old ES, except I don’t have to reload every time I power on, just when adding a new library...which at this point is highly unlikely now that the emphasis is on Montage.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2016 @ 02:13 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014
meatballfulton - 17 November 2016 10:18 AM

If you create an All file with just the new waveforms/voices, you can load that in to the XF and it will add the waveforms above the existing ones.

Save a new All file from the XF to have everything in one file.

Ok, makes good sense.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2016 @ 08:06 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

“If someone feels I’m posting too much “noise”, feel free to let me know. (Privately, or publicly.)”

dsetto,
am posting to only say that I very much enjoy all of your posts and all of the excellent replies that you are getting from knowledgeable and generous forum members.
its all excellent info.
I very much encourage you to post all you want.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2016 @ 03:36 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

I appreciate the response, Chasmanian. I fully agree with enjoying ... 

chasmanian - 17 November 2016 08:06 PM

... all of the excellent replies ... from knowledgeable and generous forum members. ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2016 @ 04:15 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Consider ... 

1. An ALL file, “Version 1”, created in Waveform Editor and loaded onto a flash board.

2. Voices are programmed on the XF, based on “Version 1” waveforms and (somehow) are imported into Waveform Editor. (I assume that is possible.)

3. Edits are performed in Waveform Editor, including waveform name and waveform order changes. The resulting ALL file is labeled “Version 2”.

- From my brief test, it seems when a waveform’s name and/or flash board order changes in Waveform Editor, this program maintains the Waveform-Voice dependency. (Excellent!)

So, if one wants the flash board to reflect the “Version 2” ALL file in Waveform Editor, one must delete all the flash board’s waveforms and samples and load all the samples and waveforms again, using the “Version 2” ALL file.

--- Is this correct?

In this scenario I have not edited the samples. And the samples in Version 1 & Version 2 are identical. The difference is that some waveforms have different name and locations on the flash board.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2016 @ 11:55 AM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

dsetto,
I could be wrong about everything I say. please be aware of that.

that said, in an effort to help, I’ll tell you what I’m wondering.
if Waveforms are pointers, then I’m thinking that you do not have to delete the Samples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2016 @ 01:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Samples are typically generic digital recordings of sounds. To be usable in the Motif, a sample needs to be augmented by additional specific information, and that data is found in a Waveform.

What might be confusing the issue is the ability to load duplicate Waveforms and then delete them, without having to delete and replace the associated samples. When that’s properly executed, any Voices using the Waveforms will still point to the correct Waveforms (and therefore their associated samples).

Note that the key word is “duplicate”. Waveforms that differ aren’t “duplicates”, even if the associated samples are identical. Also, Voices point to Waveform location by number order. If an “All” file changes Waveform order (even if dependencies for Voices are correct), that would have to be updated on the flash module in order for the XF to correctly associate User Voices and Waveforms. If minimal changes were made very near the end of the Waveform List, it might be practical to load a few things individually. Otherwise, deleting the entire flash module contents and reloading the data from the new “All” file is probably going to be a lot easier, and perhaps not more time consuming.

This thread might provide further insight:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/451452/

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New Yamaha Montage Forum
Next Topic:

"Sequencer Memory Full" Message ››