mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Commercial Vs Promo Sound Libraries - $ vs Free"

Posted on: October 31, 2016 @ 06:37 AM
jimbowal
Total Posts:  94
Joined  06-13-2014

Over on the other forum website - where BM now resides :) there was an article in regard to the Chick’s Mark V sound library vs the WO 10th Anniversary collection free from the Yamaha Music Production Guide (issue 06/2015 on) ie EasySounds.  Basically the Q was why pay $129 for it when all the samples/keybanks are included on the free download. I have both as Chick’s Mark V was included in the 40th Anniversary pack when I got my Motif XF6 WH. I originally thought that surely the samples would be copyright or something being from Chick’s specific Mark V. Then I read that it was sampled at Mad Hatter Studios, further processing done by Yamaha and voices tweaked by Dave Polich. It was then commercially released by Keyfax.
Although the WO only has one Mark I and one Mark V voice using the samples/keybanks vs 16 voices from the commercial version is it as easy as just tweaking one voice with effects, controllers etc. This could really apply to other promo soundsets - although not having all voices, songs, performances, arps etc if the samples are there, you have a base to start?
I am aware that both Keyfax staff (Administrators) and Easysounds - both Peter and Hans-Peter are on this forum.
As an aside I gather all stores, when it comes to products, would be willing to price match?? :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2016 @ 11:04 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The Chick library is unique because it only has a few samples. I own a number of the other libraries in question and can tell you that the free downloads have only a fraction of the samples from the full libraries.

In any event, it’s not just the samples you are paying for, it’s also the voice programming. There’s no way I’m going to be able to recreate the rest of the Chick library myself, I’m not that good a sound designer.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ RastSound Question
Next Topic:

Groove is in the Heart - Samples ››