mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Every D note is very loud (intermittent issue)"

Posted on: October 17, 2016 @ 04:31 PM
Zorgan
Total Posts:  15
Joined  01-21-2015

Turned on my MOXF a couple of months ago and had every single D note on the keyboard from top to bottom really loud, it then fixed itself at one point, now it is doing it again, I have stripped down the moxf today taken out all the keys and checking all the connectors with the ribbon cables, all seems fine though, but deciding to reseat them anyway just in case.

Im also going to clean it all out each sensor pad cleaned, I just hope it works, wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2016 @ 10:26 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

I’ve seen a couple of posts where people have had similar issues (same key being loud over the whole range), maybe the PCB reading the keys is the weak part in the MOXFs?

Highly unlikely that it has been the same guy assembling all of them, but ironically, if you scroll down to the board in question in this link, someone’s been clumsy with a screwdriver! ;-)

I guess time will tell if we’ll all end up with this issue or not…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2016 @ 12:54 AM
Zorgan
Total Posts:  15
Joined  01-21-2015

So after disassembly (I have quite a bit of experience in doing this sort of thing as for the last 20 years i’ve been a television engineer and laptop repair) so I did some experiments and found that the build quality on these use rather interesting designed connectors for the cables (almost a step backward from computer IDE cables in design) the ribbon cables are isolated fairly well but at the end there are just bare cores sticking out, you then stick these into a connector and move the arm to hold the cable in place, the cable on the right hand side of the PCB seems to be the culprit, during assembly it seems to be very very tight and has been pulling sideways.  I was quite surprised and if I was to design cables going from one PCB to the next I certainly would not had used this design! (i’m surprised it was given the go ahead for this) I run a moxf group on facebook and i’ve seen others having exactly the same issue with velocities not registering properly (loud notes etc) I do suspect it’s this cable that’s the issue, it’s either pulling itself out of position, the arm I’ve gripped in again but after 24hrs its started to pull away and yet again I have the same issue again, but this time F# and D notes are both 127 velocity!

time to take the thing apart again and take another look and try to reseat it, actually I think i`ll just hot glue the thing in so it doesn’t move anymore, i’m really not happy having to do all this, not happy at the quality of the design in the first place, each ribbon cable should be at least a more modern and robust clipping system , i’ve also seen shortcuts and bad solutions like this in many televisions, whether it’s a decision of a senior design engineer or a cost issue I`ll never know, I could had designed the thing better myself! maybe they don’t want you to repair the thing? maybe they just want you to buy another one, it seems that way these days with a lot of consumer products.

zpink - in regards to the PCB’s reading the velocities this system seems fine and the PCB’s seem to be ok, under each key is a rubber grommet which then pushes down on a sensor which times in milliseconds the difference between two points at different heights when touching, as long as they are clean and no obstruction or spillage such as fizzy juice etc then it should be fine (this can be cleaned with contact cleaner though or isopropanol and cotton buds but mine were fine as it doesn’t leave the home much and is in good condition).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2016 @ 07:26 PM
Fnord
Total Posts:  18
Joined  12-23-2015

I had a similar issue (all D and G# keys at full velocity on the lightest touch after ~2min of playing).

I still had warranty on mine so I had to send it in to the shop where I bought it. Still had to pay for the transport :(
They said, they tested it for several days without any error. They also checked the cables inside and found nothing, so they sent it back to me. At the Moment, it seems to work (*fingers crossed*). So maybe the Transport and cable checking did it for me.

Already thought, I was going crazy ;) Good to know, that there are others with that issue too.

Although I’m a bit afraid now to ever take that thing on stage if these cables loosen so easy…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2016 @ 11:22 PM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014
purcell - 25 October 2016 07:48 PM

Related!

Scroll down!

Fixed with a new firmware. In this case.

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=83141.0

----------------------------------------------------
MOXF --- FULL RESET + installing latest new firmware?
----------------------------------------------------
MOXF LATEST FIRMWARE!
MOXF6/MOXF8 V1.12 Operating System Updater
Main Fixes and Enhancements

- Solved a problem in which audio data could not be transferred to/from an iOS device with iOS 10 via the USB terminal.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?category_id1=16277&product_id=1816956&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=68251
--------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Velocity settings??? FIXED?
Try different velocity settings!
Settings: norm, soft, hard, wide, fixed
---------------------------
How about your KEBOARD VELOCITY?

KEYBOARD VELOCITY (curve) - “Sensitivity”
“You can change the “sensitivity” of the keyboard through the velocity curve option (Reference Manual, page 140).
Utility -> F1 -> SF3 -> VelCurve
Settings: norm, soft, hard, wide, fixed
norm (normal).... This linear “curve” produces one-to-one correspondence between the strength of your keyboard playing
(velocity) and the actual sound change.
soft..................... This curve provides increased response, especially for lower velocities.
hard ................... This curve provides increased response, especially for higher velocities.
wide ................... This curve accentuates your playing strength by producing lower velocities in response to softer playing and
louder velocities in response to harder playing. As such, you can use this setting to expand your dynamic
range.
fixed................... This setting produces the same amount of sound change (set in Fixed Velocity below), no matter what your
playing strength. The velocity of the notes you play are fixed at the value set here.

If by “Related”, one mean completely unrelated noise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2016 @ 10:07 AM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014
purcell - 26 October 2016 10:01 AM

ZPINK = THE TROLL of the WEEK!
Very helpful - trolling - comment again! Thank you!
It really helps!…

It doesn’t appear to help since you keep posting your rubbish.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2016 @ 10:29 AM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014
purcell - 26 October 2016 10:01 AM

Check the VELOCITY SETTINGS and try them all!

You may have to explain how to get to the velocity setting for the individual notes/keys.

[ Ignore ]