mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Random note velocity spike problem"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: October 12, 2016 @ 03:03 PM
pianokid
Total Posts:  88
Joined  07-05-2008

Hi all. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem. Did a search but got no results. I have a MOXF8 that is producing random maximum velocity when I play. In other words, I can be playing very softly and suddenly one of the notes played will sound at maximum velocity. It usually occurs during fast passages or playing chords. It also happens when two adjacent keys are played simultaneously. One key will play at the soft velocity that I am playing at,and the other will be very loud. It happens with all voices except those that,of course, use fixed velocity. I am up to date with the operating system. I have backed up my sounds and reinitialized to the factory-installed settings, but no difference. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2016 @ 05:41 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Make sure that there is nothing stuck in between or underneath the keybed. I had a similar problem with a Clavinova, and then found out that someone had dropped pocket change in the keys, much of which slid down the cracks and under the keys!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2016 @ 12:21 AM
pianokid
Joined  07-05-2008

Nothing I can visually see, but it’s happening on way too many keys for it to be something physically inside. Not really sure how to open up the unit anyway. But thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2016 @ 02:33 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

I think if it persists also for factory sound it must be a HW failure. I’ve never experienced any similar (nor with MOTIF ES, MO6, MOX6 and MOXF6).
Just for tip: try using an external keyboard via midi and play paralel the two keys. This way you can separate a sound generation issue from a keybed failure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2016 @ 08:08 AM
pianokid
Joined  07-05-2008

Thanks. I will try that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2016 @ 08:35 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pianokid - 12 October 2016 03:03 PM

Hi all. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem. Did a search but got no results. I have a MOXF8 that is producing random maximum velocity when I play. [...] Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not everything in the thread will apply to a MOXF, but it discusses one common cause of the problem:
http://motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/456200

A couple of other possibilities are bad connections (sometimes due to corrosion, not uncommon if the keyboard is used in shore areas), and (rarely) key processor failure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2016 @ 01:41 PM
pianokid
Joined  07-05-2008

Thanks, Spindin. I do suspect corrosion as I played several gigs this past summer at the Jersey shore, many of them right on the beach or close to water in hot humid conditions. It is out of warranty now, so I would like to open it up and take a look.  How difficult is it to do that? Thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2016 @ 03:46 PM
pianokid
Joined  07-05-2008

Okay, so it seems to be a problem with the keyboard and not the sound generator. As suggested above, I hooked up another keyboard via midi and the problem does not happen. Yet it is easy to duplicate with the MOXF keyboard. Any suggestions on how to properly open the board to check contacts and the like? Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2016 @ 08:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I suggest that you start by getting the Service Manual…
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/sy-moxf/10717/5846
...which will have full disassembly instructions, etc.

Some basic information is here:
http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_moxf6_moxf8.pdf/download.html

I’d then check keyboard interconnection cabling. If you’re lucky, just wiggling or removal and reseating might be enough. Beyond that, there might be corrosion of pc board copper traces, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2016 @ 01:08 PM
pianokid
Joined  07-05-2008

Thanks, again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2016 @ 07:15 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pianokid - 14 October 2016 01:08 PM

Thanks, again.

You’re welcome - I hope you successfully resolve the problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2016 @ 02:09 PM
johnnyg88
Total Posts:  2
Joined  10-29-2016

I had the exact same issue with a new MOXF 6 I bought in Oct. 2015. It gradually became very frequent and very annoying.
After trying many potential fixes via Yamaha support and with none of them working, they finally opted to replace the board just before Christmas.
The new board has been flawless until a month ago when it did the same thing again. It has done it twice more since then so I am about to send Yamaha support an email so we can go through the exercise in futility once again.
As my 1st board was new and now this one barely a year old, I doubt dust or other foreign matter is the issue and the unit is cleaned(no liquids) every 2 weeks.
I will be asking support if they determined why the first board had this problem and now wonder how they will rectify this repeat performance with the replacement.
I will share any info they can provide me on this issue.
John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2016 @ 03:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Here’s what another user (Zorgan) experienced:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/478187/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2016 @ 08:43 AM
NatNapoletano@yahoo.com
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-30-2016

I’m getting the spike too. I’m fairly sure that it’s a hardware/software bug, my unit has been doing it since day one. Seems to happen about once every few hours of playing. It happens on my MOXF6 but not on my MOXF8. It also seems to happen more when I’m developing a patch and hitting a key very hard in order to trigger a high velocity sample. The MOXF8 may be immune because of different hardware, or because it’s hard to generate extreme velocities on the weighted keys.

I have let the problem slide because I use the keyboard for live playing, and my band makes a lot more sonic blunders than my MOXF6. Also, I never owned a keyboard that was perfect. My Korg Triton would do some kind of re-calibration every few hours and take a one second hiatus each time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2016 @ 09:57 AM
keramox
Total Posts:  55
Joined  11-17-2012

Hi! I have the same problem with my MOX6 (2011-12).My first MOX (dec.2011) had many random velocity spike problems and random notes playing!After 3 weeks i took it back to the store and they gave me a new MOX which I have until now.It has fewer problems but sometimes it produces random velocities too and it’s very annoying if playing live!These random spikes are visible in cubase when i’m recording midi.Eventually you can see some 127 velocities when it happens! Yamaha should take care about these problems and make a firmware update and/or give us some instructions what to do! I have to say that all these problems took place from day #1 on the first and the second unit! We have to live with problematic “pro” instruments from yamaha co (shame) ... tnx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2016 @ 12:55 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Posting about a problem here on Motifator can often be helpful, but the more users Yamaha hears from directly, the more likely the cause will be investigated.

Anyone experiencing what has been described in this thread should discuss the situation with Yamaha Support in their country. Contact information is given in the Owner’s Manual, usually on the last page.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3