mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Example of Performace to Pattern"

Posted on: October 07, 2016 @ 05:15 PM
mikebengel
Total Posts:  86
Joined  03-16-2013

While I like the performance mode of XF.  You can get alot more out of it by copying it to a pattern.  While in Pattern mode -->
Press [ MIXER ][EDIT][JOB] Then select [SF3] for performance copy.

While in Mix Edit mode go through each one of the tracks under [ Part Select ]
From there you change the Recieve Channel (MIDI) to 1
Do that for all the performance parts you copied.  Do this for additional tracks, Setting the key-range to either be on lower half.  Then on the upper half for another voice. 

You can make multiple tracks that will play the upper range.
Track 6 can be a lead then Track 7 a slow building string sound.  Both set to the upper or lower keyboard range.

I like to also set the track with the lower range to use the foot pedal for sustain.  While the tracks on the upper range are turned off for sustain.

All of these settings can be accessed when in [MIXER][EDIT] mode and pressing the corresponding track number( PART SELECT ) buttons, 1-16

https://soundcloud.com/michaelbengel/10-2-2016-one-love

Good day

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
music2345
Total Posts:  45
Joined  05-18-2016

That’s an excellent tip. I’ll definitely be trying that soon.  THX!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2016 @ 09:58 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

You can really tap into the XF power by doing this, as opposed to direct performance recording.  While the forum is most often used to answer questions, this was a refreshing post to illustrate a function many new users may not be familiar with unless they’re digesting the reference manual.

Thanks for the post

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2016 @ 10:42 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
mikebengel - 07 October 2016 05:15 PM

While I like the performance mode of XF.  You can get alot more out of it by copying it to a pattern.  While in Pattern mode -->
Press [ MIXER ][EDIT][JOB] Then select [SF3] for performance copy.

While in Mix Edit mode go through each one of the tracks under [ Part Select ]
From there you change the Recieve Channel (MIDI) to 1
Do that for all the performance parts you copied.  Do this for additional tracks, Setting the key-range to either be on lower half.  Then on the upper half for another voice. 

You can make multiple tracks that will play the upper range.
Track 6 can be a lead then Track 7 a slow building string sound.  Both set to the upper or lower keyboard range.

I like to also set the track with the lower range to use the foot pedal for sustain.  While the tracks on the upper range are turned off for sustain.

All of these settings can be accessed when in [MIXER][EDIT] mode and pressing the corresponding track number( PART SELECT ) buttons, 1-16

https://soundcloud.com/michaelbengel/10-2-2016-one-love

Good day

Thanks for posting that. I’m sure there are users who will find it helpful.

I do have one comment - there appears to be usage of the terms “Part” and “Track” somewhat interchangeably. Not differentiating between the two can lead to problems at times. This thread might prove interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473648/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2016 @ 01:19 AM
mikebengel
Total Posts:  86
Joined  03-16-2013

Thank you.  I’ve gotten so much from this forum.  Thought it would be nice to share a function I find very useful.  Good point about the part vs track.  I understood there is two different modes for a song or pattern, but didn’t realize the track was called a part in [Mixing] [edit] mode.

I almost overlooked the power of using Pattern Mode as a supercharged performance because when all 8 parts/tracks where set to Receive Channel 1 the volume sliders would grab all 8 tracks and make them that level.  So to get around that I just edit the volume for each part/track without the sliders.  Maybe in Master Mode you can isolate a volume slider and not have it effect all other parts/tracks that are on the same Receive Channel.

Hope I’m not butchering the part/track understanding.  So if I’m addressing a track that’s in [Pattern] [Mixing] [Edit] mode, it’s called a part?  Then if it’s just in [Pattern] mode it’s a track?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2016 @ 10:48 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mikebengel - 08 October 2016 01:19 AM

Thank you.  I’ve gotten so much from this forum.  Thought it would be nice to share a function I find very useful.

You’re welcome, and I encourage you to continue such posting. It will help others, and opens discussion of topics that might not be clear or obvious.

mikebengel -

Good point about the part vs track.  I understood there is two different modes for a song or pattern, but didn’t realize the track was called a part in [Mixing] [edit] mode.

[...]

Hope I’m not butchering the part/track understanding.  So if I’m addressing a track that’s in [Pattern] [Mixing] [Edit] mode, it’s called a part?  Then if it’s just in [Pattern] mode it’s a track?

Parts and Tracks are separate and distinct from each other, and that doesn’t change with mode - what changes is access to their Parameters. I had hoped the thread I previously linked to would help to clarify that - although it was concerning mute operation, the Part/Track issue was addressed.

In a Performance or Pattern/Song, Parts contain Voices, the sounds of which originate in the Tone Generator section of the XF. Parts receive MIDI data that tells them how to play the Voices. You can play them directly via the keyboard, or the sequencer can play them. The keyboard transmits on a MIDI channel, and any Parts that have the matching channel will respond. A sequencer Track also transmits on a MIDI channel, and holds MIDI data that is used to play Parts.

mikebengel -

I almost overlooked the power of using Pattern Mode as a supercharged performance because when all 8 parts/tracks where set to Receive Channel 1 the volume sliders would grab all 8 tracks and make them that level.  So to get around that I just edit the volume for each part/track without the sliders.  Maybe in Master Mode you can isolate a volume slider and not have it effect all other parts/tracks that are on the same Receive Channel.

By using the Mixing Job “Copy Performance”, the four Parts are assigned to the same MIDI Receive Channel (1). Although in Performance mode the Sliders can separately control volume of individual Parts, that’s a special circumstance, and isn’t the case in other modes. In Pattern or Song mode, Control Sliders address by MIDI channel, so all Parts that have the same MIDI Receive Channel will be controlled by any of the corresponding Sliders. That situation can’t be changed by setting up a Master.

However, 16 Volume sliders are displayed on the Mix Play screen. Selecting one of the 16 Parts (either by cursor or the [1]~[16] buttons) allows individual control of Part volume - cursor down so that Volume is highlighted, and then use either the Data Dial or [DEC]/[INC] buttons. It’s then easy to cursor to any other of the 16 Part Volumes and similarly adjust them. Changes made that way can be stored if desired.

I hope that clarifies things. Otherwise, just ask.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2016 @ 01:32 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
mikebengel - 08 October 2016 01:19 AM

I almost overlooked the power of using Pattern Mode as a supercharged performance because when all 8 parts/tracks where set to Receive Channel 1 the volume sliders would grab all 8 tracks and make them that level.  So to get around that I just edit the volume for each part/track without the sliders.  Maybe in Master Mode you can isolate a volume slider and not have it effect all other parts/tracks that are on the same Receive Channel....

In addition to what 5pinDIN provided:  Yes, in MASTER Mode you can set up your MIX to have volume control over multiple PARTS, but they cannot be on the same MIDI channel.

MASTER Mode uses ZONES.  These start as the (up to) 8 separate PARTS of a SONG or PATTERN, that are set up on (up to) 8 different MIDI channels, becoming (up to) 8 different ZONES.

It is only in MASTER Mode that the machine can address multiple MIDI channels simultaneously, and 8 is the maximum number of MIDI channels that can me addressed in this fashion.

In a MASTER setup associated with a SONG or PATTERN, you are no longer addressing PARTS via receive channels, you are addressing ZONES via transmit channels.

Once you bring a SONG or PATTERN into MASTER Mode, you set the transmit channels per ZONE to discreet MIDI channel numbers, and then activate the (up to) 8 ZONES, you will have volume control over those 8 PARTS in real time at the 8 sliders on the XF.

You can investigate this very powerful feature in This Document.

You will also find an in-depth discussion of the topic in This Thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2016 @ 02:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 08 October 2016 01:32 PM

In addition to what 5pinDIN provided:  Yes, in MASTER Mode you can set up your MIX to have volume control over multiple PARTS, but they cannot be on the same MIDI channel. [...]

Yes, and to avoid placing all the Parts on the same MIDI channel, instead of using the Mixing Job “Copy Performance”, the “Template Performance” Job can be used. That will assign the Parts to separate MIDI channels. So does using Direct Performance Record, by the way. If you already have a Mix with Parts assigned to the same MIDI channel, the Receive Channel for each Part could be edited so that the Master can be set up as cmayhle has discussed.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ splitting on the motif xf
Next Topic:

Loading, unloading, all-files, etc. ››